The real world map

bikezappa
bikezappa Posts: 2,463
edited May 2014 in The Clubhouse
http://www.upworthy.com/we-have-been-mislead-by-an-erroneous-map-of-the-world-for-500-years

I first saw this map about 30 years ago and my jaw dropped. I was pissed that I and all the schools were lead to believe that the world actually looked like that. I have had this map on my work office for over 15 years and only a few people have even noticed or asked any questions. I have also given the map to teachers but they were afraid to show it in their class.

I hope that changes in the future.
Post edited by bikezappa on

Comments

• soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    edited May 2014
    So the point is western ideals are bad and the non western ideals are good . Please , just a anti western jab using something ridicules another attempt to rewrite history with an anti-western ajenda.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited May 2014
    That's what globes are for.

The Mercator projection was popular for a long time due to the psychological value of its distortion ;-)
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2014
    Any good student of history knows that whatever period one is looking at has been preceded by very different geo-political power bases and that the future will also continue to surprise.

Unlike Francis Fukuyama's late 20th century fantasies the future is wide open and the world may look very different from what we currently see or even what the last few hundred years have wrought. After all 400 or so years is hardly a long view of human history. And "change" is the norm not the exception.

It's always good to get another perspective. And that does not mean that you have to give up everything because of it. It simply broadens the horizon and what it means to be "human". Which should be on everyone's agenda...because:

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. (Hamlet)

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited May 2014
    Maybe I'm having an off day, but what were you pissed about and what do you hope changes in the future?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited May 2014
    So, you are mad because Africa is a big continent?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • bikezappa
    edited May 2014
    The current map that we all looked at for 10 years at school is wrong by distorting the size of the continents dramatically. Did anyone watch the video?

I don't like being lied to.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited May 2014
    Getting another perspective is one thing, complaining about proportions on a map....come on. Complaining about western and European influences....really ? If 3rd world nations had their proverbial sh&t together, they'd have more influence, but they don't. It's western influence that supports a lot of 3rd world nations.

Lets not forget out history either. Those with the most money and power get to make the rules....and draw the maps. Is that not evident even within our own borders ?

So basically we have the same old same old, complaining about those guys who have too much from those with too little. Boo-hoo ! The continents of Africa and South America are certainly free to change their status in the world, but they can't agree on anything aside from which drugs to grow and sell to westerners. If Europe and the west are so evil, and I'm not saying we haven't done our share of it either, then why do people live here ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited May 2014
    bikezappa wrote: »
    The current map that we all looked at for 10 years at school is wrong by distorting the size of the continents dramatically. Did anyone watch the video?

What drugs are you on?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited May 2014
    It's 2014.

You're what? 937 years old?

You haven't, in all this time on this planet, bothered to revisit anything you were taught in school and just blindly believed it for 930+ years?

Nobody lied to you. The only disservice that was done was by you to yourself. If you're going to rely on a 2D picture of a 3D world for your defacto standard on scale for the continents, it's your own fault. Especially since you can find out for sure at places like Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

Which was the first link presented when searching Google for "How big are the continents".

If you are misinformed in this day and age, it's on you, dude.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited May 2014
    Wow...as a kid I remember the croutch,duck,and cover drills in class...but for the life of me,I can't recall ever seeing that map in any school that I attended......
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited May 2014
    tonyb wrote: »
    If 3rd world nations had their proverbial sh&t together, they'd have more influence, but they don't. It's western influence that supports a lot of 3rd world nations.

Spoken like a true imperialist.

And one that, I suspect, has never been outside of the "First World." Correct me if I'm wrong?

ps - The terms first, second and third world are no longer meaningful, as the "second world" referenced societies behind the Iron Curtain, which fell along with the Berlin Wall in 1989.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited May 2014
    bikezappa wrote: »

Be thankful if this is all you have to worry about.
    sm_violin.gif
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • bikezappa
    edited May 2014
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited May 2014
    Is it bad that I don't care? If Africa is larger than I was told in school, it has no effect on me.
  • Timothy Smith
    Timothy Smith Posts: 764
    edited May 2014
    it's not the SIZE of the country, it's what you DO with the country.
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited May 2014
    stretchl wrote: »
    ps - The terms first, second and third world are no longer meaningful, as the "second world" referenced societies behind the Iron Curtain, which fell along with the Berlin Wall in 1989.

Good point. I move to change it from First and Third World to "We **** in toilets" World and "We **** where ever we are currently standing" World.
    From my experience, those terms are far more accurate.

Signed, Some imperialist scum who has visited plenty of those third world sh*tholes
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited May 2014
    Onlyhave my phone with me so I might be missing something. .. why does the article compare Africa and (a continent) to a bunch of individual countries? Why not compare North America or Asia to Africa then? Perhaps the author's agenda is no longer valid then?
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited May 2014
    I was told the map in question distorted the sizes back in grade school.
    That was in the 60's. Did you sleep through that lecture???
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited May 2014
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I was told the map in question distorted the sizes back in grade school.
    That was in the 60's. Did you sleep through that lecture???
    Same here. I took geography in grade school, and the first thing we were told is, all maps distort to one degree or another.
    Even globes are not accurate. The paper overlay is made of triangular 2D sections to simulate a sphere.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • tonyb
    edited May 2014
    Spoken like a true imperialist.

And one that, I suspect, has never been outside of the "First World." Correct me if I'm wrong?

Ok....your wrong. Puerto Rico, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Honduras, countless island nations but I don't count those.

Imperialist ?? Hardly...more so a realist and a study of history. To the winner of wars go the spoils as they say and history tells us no different. The imperialistic attitude of western nations, mostly Europe, died out along time ago. Imperialists by nature seek to expand their empire, don't know of too many lands we took after winning a war. Exceptions are few such as Mexico, Indian land but can't think of anything in the past 100 years off the top of my head. Spreading influence is the name of the game today, not imperialism. Getting your allies all lined up, and keeping them.

Look, if poorer nations want a bigger chair at the table....well get with the program instead of living in the stone age. Trouble is a lot of them like living in the stone age and still complain others have more than they do. In essence, they want a handout for doing nothing. A bigger voice, but no cards on the table. They refuse to give way to modern society but want all the benefits. Welfare for nations....and why not right ? We do so well with it on an individual basis here at home. They refuse to abide by common universally accepted human rights, yet wonder why nobody will lift a finger to help them. Not all mind you, but a lot. I'm also willing to bet the number one commodity in most these poor nations is drugs. They are also run by crooks who steal a countries wealth for themselves and rule with an iron fist to keep the masses poor and enslaved. They could care less if they lived or died.

These are the people deserving of a bigger chair at the table ? A louder voice ? Straighten your crap out in your country first, abide by human rights and at least try to have a lawful society. Make an attempt at providing for the people, creating jobs and industry, clean water, farming techniques. You'd be surprised how the rest of the world would jump on the bandwagon and invest in those countries then. Raising the lifestyle of all.

No Sir, it is not imperialistic to want others to lift themselves up out of the mud...to live like a human being. It is not imperialistic to break the chains of slavery, forced labor, child labor even. To live without fear, with an abundance of food, clean water, sanitary conditions.

Some of you guys complain we get involved, then complain when we don't. I'll suggest to you that when we get involved for the right reasons, wonderful things can happen. Unfortunately we rarely get involved for the right reasons, and that's the problem.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited May 2014
    So many flaws to your reasoning, so little time. I'll go for door number... .three:

You do realize, my friend, that we were the ones who often installed and long propped up those "crooks," right?

Ever hear of Mobutu Sese-Seko? Daniel Arap Moi? The Shah of Iran? Pinochet? Ferdinand Marcos? Papa and Baby Doc Duvalier? Saddam Hussein? The list goes on.

All of those guys were our beetches, man. We didn't need to fight ground wars in their countries because we PAID THEM to fight for us. C'mon... surely you've studied late 20th century history?

Not to mention the crowning achievement of US Foreign Policy: Arming of the Afghan mujihadeen resistance against the Soviets. The same mujihadeen that eventually flew those airplanes into out buildings in 2001, and used the AK-47's Carter and Reagan's CIA provided to them to shoot and kill young American soldiers in the primes of their lives.

Just.

Sad.

:(
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    edited May 2014
    I have a photographic Globe of the Earth.

It was made from a series of orbital pictures taken over a period of several years so that as much of the earth as possible is shown without cloud cover and with the pictures at or as near to noon as possible.

I can't think of a more accurate representation of the Earth. The resolution is amazing. You can see all sorts of mane made objects.
  • badchad
    badchad Posts: 348
    edited May 2014
    tonyb wrote: »
    Getting another perspective is one thing, complaining about proportions on a map....

So basically we have the same old same old, complaining about those guys who have too much from those with too little.

I'd take a different view and consider this an issue of scientific objectivity. Would we complain if our kids were taught the earth was flat or the center of the universe? Probably.

I'm curious why children are still being taught using the Mercator map, assuming that very few will be navigating the globe via ship. If the Peters map is objectively more accurate, they should adopt it.
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103
  • Timothy Smith
    Timothy Smith Posts: 764
    edited May 2014
    I understand completely, and on a very personal level.

I personally can not, and will not, get my sheet together until other people stop thinking that my yard is smaller than it actually is.

I had no problems whatsoever until I became aware of the actual size of my yard and got the feeling that other people thought that it was smaller.

I am sure that there is a conspiracy to marginalize me due to my yard size.

I blame others, and not myself.
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited May 2014
    Not to mention the crowning achievement of US Foreign Policy: Arming of the Afghan mujihadeen resistance against the Soviets. The same mujihadeen that eventually flew those airplanes into out buildings in 2001, and used the AK-47's Carter and Reagan's CIA provided to them to shoot and kill young American soldiers in the primes of their lives.:(

BINGO......While reading Soldier of Fortune back in the 80's like anything else we did I knew then we'd be fighting those same folks 25yrs later just glad they either sold, lost or used all those stingers we sold them or we would have more planes falling out of the sky....and who was the best friend then as now Pakistan.
  • fossy
    fossy Posts: 1,378
    edited May 2014
    it's not the SIZE of the country, it's what you DO with the country.

Florida is still the biggest dong in the world !!!!!!
  • tonyb
    edited May 2014
    So many flaws to your reasoning, so little time. I'll go for door number... .three:

You do realize, my friend, that we were the ones who often installed and long propped up those "crooks," right?

Ever hear of Mobutu Sese-Seko? Daniel Arap Moi? The Shah of Iran? Pinochet? Ferdinand Marcos? Papa and Baby Doc Duvalier? Saddam Hussein? The list goes on.

All of those guys were our beetches, man. We didn't need to fight ground wars in their countries because we PAID THEM to fight for us. C'mon... surely you've studied late 20th century history?

Not to mention the crowning achievement of US Foreign Policy: Arming of the Afghan mujihadeen resistance against the Soviets. The same mujihadeen that eventually flew those airplanes into out buildings in 2001, and used the AK-47's Carter and Reagan's CIA provided to them to shoot and kill young American soldiers in the primes of their lives.

Just.

Sad.

:(

LOL...though I agree with all that, that's hardly imperialism. More so sticking your nose where it doesn't belong, much like we still do today. To be an imperialist, one must expand an empire, either by taking over lands or exerting control over them and their people. I know of no such lands we have control over, they all dance to their own tune regardless of meddling by other nations. Any on the African continent...Asia...South America....Europe...Middle east ?

There is also a difference when nations ask others for help, rather than nations forcing their will on them. Our foreign policy, if we even have one, is dismal at best. Maybe you missed my last part in the previous post.

I said "...when we get involved for the right reasons, but we don't...and that's the problem" Putting puppets in place isn't to exert control over the lands or its people. It's for political reasons, to turn enemies into allies. Nobody could give a rats arse about the actual people and lifting them up....and again, that's the problem.

That said, can't argue against our own mistakes which we never seem to learn from. It continues on today like a big world game of monopoly. It's about the money, always has been, always will be. Nobody starts a war for the sake of freeing the people, human rights issues and so forth. Look around the globe, many countries would be at war if that were the case.

My assertions are based on simply leaving people and other countries alone, stay out of their affairs unless asked for help. Democracy isn't for everyone as we like to project. What is for everyone, as I said, is to live like a human being....have clean water, a working economy, food, shelter, sanitary conditions. It is entirely possible for us to help other nations do this without being imperialistic.

Again...for the right reasons, but we never do so. Always for the political reasons, financial gains of a few. If Google, Apple, G.E. said they wanted Nigeria, you'd be surprised how fast a war would be created to make that happen. This lends itself to many other areas of faults within global human societies also. We have to learn to take care of ourselves first, a lesson yet to be learned.

Without getting too political, a recent example is Hillary Clinton when head of the State department was walking down the street one day, and seemingly must have dropped 6 billion dollars out of her purse. Poof...gone, unaccounted for. Do you know what 6 billion bucks could do to improve the lives of some poorer African nations under the right conditions ? Assuming anyone even cares about those lives. Do you think 6 billion bucks could turn sea water into drinkable water ? Not only for other nations but how about ours ? Western states could sure use it. The industrialized west has money to help others lift themselves up, but it never is about those reasons we get involved. When the whims of a few rich men turn their sights towards more money, that's when you see change...and a created reason why those changes need to happen.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's