Powering RTiA9s(2)

Richardcoo
Richardcoo Posts: 4
edited May 2014 in Forum Testing Area
I like my new speakers and keep reading posts from others with them, saying they are "Power Hungry" and benefit from an additional amp. I don't listen to any really loud music because of where I live,and got my speaker looking for the sonic clarity I thought their Freq. Resp. and driver config. suggested they may have. My question is-Would someone living in a 5th floor condo be wasting their money by running the through an additional amp,or can I get some actual benefit from from the additional power even if I don't really "Crank them Up"?
I'm really not trying to get an eviction notice,I would just like to hear more of the details-
Post edited by Richardcoo on

Comments

• zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited May 2014
    Yes, they will definitely crave more power than an AVR can supply. You can find some nice used power amps that will work very well with the 9's. You'll want to look for something with a minimum of a 200 watt high current amp, more is better. Even at lower volumes the amp will give you more head room and will make a noticeable improvement. Have fun with the new toys and welcome to the club!
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited May 2014
    I found nice improvements at low volumes the higher I claimed in the Parasound power ladder, of course the last step also included a big jump in quality with the 3500.

Even 135wpc HCA-1206 high current amp was better than the '140wpc' Yamaha AVR.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2014
    Welcome to Club Polk Richard!

When we talk about powering our speakers with separate amps it is NOT about getting more volume. It is about making sure that your speakers have enough power to operate to their full potential. And a receiver will not do that.

With a 200wpc @ 8ohms amp powering your speakers, you will have clearer vocals, instruments & bass. You will want to listen to all of your records to hear all the details that you have never picked up with just a receiver powering your speakers.

And the kicker is you will even pick up on these details at a LOWER volume!

So if you don't have a problem buying used, look on Audiogon for a Parasound, B&K, Sunfire, Nad, Rotel amp (providing your receiver has preouts to add an amp. What receiver do you have, we will be able to tell if it has it or not. If you want a new amp then look at Outlaw audio & Emotiva.

BTW, I live on the 7th floor of a condo building and I run a 5.2 HT setup, all speakers powered by a 405wpc 5 channel amp! And nobody has pounded on my walls or door telling me to turn it down.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited May 2014
    BTW, I live on the 7th floor of a condo building and I run a 5.2 HT setup, all speakers powered by a 405wpc 5 channel amp! And nobody has pounded on my walls or door telling me to turn it down.

I have been told by a reliable source in Chicago,that you hand out some pretty good butt woppens to those who cross you Cathy.:razz:

Sorry to derail,carry on.

Dan
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited May 2014
    cfrizz wrote: »

Maybe it's the skull and crossbones behind the dead cat nailed to your door that keeps people from complaining.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    edited May 2014
    Oldfatdogs wrote: »
    I have been told by a reliable source in Chicago,that you hand out some pretty good butt woppens to those who cross you Cathy.:razz:

Sorry to derail,carry on.

Dan
    tonyb wrote: »
    Maybe it's the skull and crossbones behind the dead cat nailed to your door that keeps people from complaining.

I would NEVER abuse & kill a defenseless sweet animal, if I had anything nailed to my door it would be a useless **** human that got on my last nerve! LOL.

But it is more likely that I live in a 50 year old mostly solid concrete building which helps immensely with deadening the sound of the neighbors movements and music. I also respect my neighbors by not getting too carried away with the volume and if I do it is in the middle of the day when everyone is up and about, not late at night.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    edited May 2014
    cfrizz wrote: »
    , if I had anything nailed to my door it would be a useless **** human that got on my last nerve! LOL.

Maybe so...all I know is the nail holes in my hands took months to heal. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    edited May 2014
    tonyb wrote: »
    Maybe so...all I know is the nail holes in my hands took months to heal. lol

Next time I tell you not to touch my system, you'll listen won't you! LOL
  • tonyb
    edited May 2014
    Hey now, it isn't my fault you have to past your system to get to the bathroom. A man can't even take a dump in your place without getting crucified to the door.

Though that may have more to do with the smell than the system. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Richardcoo
    edited May 2014
    Thanks y'all-The sunfire CGS,405,5ch. sounds like a good choice except I'd be afraid the (405w) power would kill all but my front(RTi/CSi)speakers. Do these high currant amps usually have some kind of limiter for the surrounds & rears and such?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited May 2014
    It's not going to damage your speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited May 2014
    Just don't turn the volume up to 11. :)
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• cfrizz
    edited May 2014
    Everything has limits, but you will damage your hearing playing too loud before you damage your speakers.
  • tonyb
    edited May 2014
    Richardcoo wrote: »
    Thanks y'all-The sunfire CGS,405,5ch. sounds like a good choice except I'd be afraid the (405w) power would kill all but my front(RTi/CSi)speakers. Do these high currant amps usually have some kind of limiter for the surrounds & rears and such?

When you turn on the connected amp, it doesn't automatically throw 400 watts to the speakers. Also if you feel the rears are getting too much, go into the receivers menu and dial down the speaker levels for the rear.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Richardcoo
    edited May 2014
    Thanks alot for the input-I DO listen! After checking out a few amps, I (of course) have a couple of questions; If I were to get the 405w choice, would it have a limiter for the speakers that aren't rated for 500w? Besides the RTiA9s,there is a CSiA6,(4) monitor70s and (2)OWM5s to contend with-all having decreasing max wattage ratings.Im also looking at an Emotiva XPA-5, but even @ 200w, I will have the same "maxing-out" issue. I dont want someone cranking it up when my head is turned-Accidents happen.-AND would 200w be enough headroom,or is "More Better"?
  • Richardcoo
    edited May 2014
    I should have read all of the posts before I hit "enter" Long day!
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited May 2014
    Ask nbrowser about someone cranking up his speakers while he was absent, and the avr itself is the limiter, but I think you saw that by your last statement
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • tonyb
    edited May 2014
    Richardcoo wrote: »
    Thanks alot for the input-I DO listen! After checking out a few amps, I (of course) have a couple of questions; If I were to get the 405w choice, would it have a limiter for the speakers that aren't rated for 500w? Besides the RTiA9s,there is a CSiA6,(4) monitor70s and (2)OWM5s to contend with-all having decreasing max wattage ratings.Im also looking at an Emotiva XPA-5, but even @ 200w, I will have the same "maxing-out" issue. I dont want someone cranking it up when my head is turned-Accidents happen.-AND would 200w be enough headroom,or is "More Better"?

Like I said, pay no attention to those recommended watts on the speakers, they mean little. Think in terms of current, not watts, amperes peek to peek. Speakers thrive on quality current, not necessarily watts.

No such thing as a "limiter", the volume dial is your limiter along with your ears. The speakers don't suck up 400 watts each as soon as you turn on the amp. If you can't trust people in your environment to not touch your stuff, then re-think the whole thing. Cranking the volume dial isn't something done on accident.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited May 2014
    referring to it as a limiter because you can set a max volume, or adjust the volume to each channel, i know my yammy does both
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA