Polk MM651 speaker woes

UltraNutZ
UltraNutZ Posts: 9
edited June 2014 in Car Audio & Electronics
ok here goes my 2nd post and let me clarify why I signed up here in the first place. Simply to find a solution to the issues that TONS of people are having with the specific Polk MM651 speakers. Not the UM versions, just the MM version.

I've been a fan of Polk Audio many a years dating back to my professional and multi trophy (most SQ but some SPL also) winning installation career. Fast forward 20 years...

About 2 years ago is when I first stumbled upon the MM651 speakers specifically to put on a Harley in the batwing fairing and rear tour pak pods. They fit, albeit I didn't like the wagon wheel grills for the rear pods but that was easily remedied. Couple that with a decent amp and you had one hell of a system that couldn't be compared to for under $500. So for 2+ years now I've been running the same MM651 speakers with initially an Alpine KTP445 amp and then onto the Soundstream PN4.520D amp. This system is amazing!

So being a member of an HD forum I started bragging about the sound quality of this setup and everyone bit as I would have expected some to do. The initial folks who followed my lead some 1+ years ago with the above mentioned SS amp and MM651 speakers combo were very happy with the outcome, again as I expected them to be compared to anything else on the market within a reasonable price point. HD specific audio costs were absolutely through the roof with nothing but crappy speakers, etc.

Now fast forward another year. Lots of happy campers including myself. However about March or so of this year (2013) all of a sudden I start seeing folks that have just purchased and installed their systems complaining about blowing speakers. Well after digging into it a little more what I was finding was tweeter stalks that were seperating and resulting in speakers getting so hot that the woofer cone would either seize or work sporadically. Some of the tweeter stalks I was seeing were angled as if melted, and no a lot of them were not angled in respect to the position of the speaker install. Some were pointed up, some down, some to the side, etc. So I finally get my hands on a pair of these speakers and after tearing apart the woofer cone, I see what appears to be nothing more than bad glue on the stalks and the stalks seperating from the base where attached.

So to further that investigation I started asking folks who were having issues to give me the serial numbers on the speakers and what I discovered was roughly 99% of those were in the 5000 range of serial numbers. Meaning the last 4 digits of the serial numbers were in the 5000 range. My speakers, both pair are in the 3000 and 4000 range of serial numbers as well as many others who still to this day don't have an issue.

So now fast forward a few weeks to warranty requests being denied by Polk to all these people because the speakers mostly were purchased from a couple of different places such as Amazon, WoofersETC, SonicElectronix which of course all turn out to be "unauthorized" dealers of Polk Audio.

So I call Polk myself, I call Sonic Electronix myself. With Sonic I was able to talk them into replacing a few of these speakers because they were not "technically" blown but malformed. Polk's response to me and to others is simply "we are unaware of any issues".

Not all but a lot are different amps by Rockford, SS, Alpine, and Arc Audio. The majority of them though are SS PN4.520D amps. So I get on the horn with SS about it and was able to go up the chain to the product manager for the SS Nano line of amps. We discussed in great detail, mostly technical and found there to be no issues. I ran some tests on 3 different amps I have here with a scope and a 1khz sine wave and produced those results to SS as well just for clarification/verification. All is good there. I didn't bother contacting the other amp vendors because at this point I'm relatively certain it's the speakers. So I contact Polk again only to be met with the same response "we are unaware of any issues" even though numerous people following my advice contacted Polk directly.

So here we all sit with a bunch of toasted speakers that the manufacturer won't back up a warranty on because they were bought (unknowingly) through an unauthorized dealer and we have an unauthorized dealer refusing to do anything about it apparently because they know but DON'T advertise they are unauthorized by Polk Audio.

What's a person to do with this other than chalk it up to lesson learned. I'll be honest, it's one hell of an expensive lesson to be learned when you start compiling the number of people with these bad speakers that no one seems to be aware have a blatant issue.

I have a full time line of events but not sure how to proceed with it because in all honesty, it just isn't right. If all these people are selling unauthorized product then Polk Audio as a company should do something about it instead of leaving their customers hanging out in the cold.

Any ideas from anyone?
UltraNutZ
Anyone from Polk that wants to contact me, feel free to do so..
ultranutz at outlook dot com
eight three two five eight five three one three three

PS - If you want to see any of the threads or pictures pertaining to this whole fiasco/subject, visit www.hdforums.com and take a look in the Audio section. You will find more than you're willing to read. There are other HD forums out there with many of the same/related issues as well.
Post edited by UltraNutZ on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2013
    Sounds like you might be out of luck. If you buy from an unauthorized dealer there is no telling what you're going to get. Generally it's remanufactured or refurbished gear and some times it's outright knock offs. That's why most all manufacturers websites have all kinds of warnings telling you to only buy from authorized dealers. Polk has one as well in big red letters telling you you're on your own if you don't buy authorized.

I've been on this forum a long time and the VAST majority of the time people come in here complaining of dead speakers, it's gear they bought from an unauthorized dealer. They did have a rash of SR 12's a few years back where the tinsel leads were coming off but Polk was quick to replace all the ones that were reported defective.

Pretty much no manufacturer will honor warranties on products not bought thru their authorizes dealers. Polk Audio has some of the best customer service in the business but I doubt they'll cover things like this and I don't blame them. With unauthorized joints like Woofers Etc, Polk can't ensure that it's "A" stock, brand spanking new goods that they're selling and you can't warranty products that could be refurbished crap.

I'd contact them anyway and try since this was kind of a group buy. Maybe they will do something for y'all in the way of repairs or something. Can't hurt to try but don't get too upset with them if they don't. No manufacturer will honor unauthorized purchases. Your beef is actually with the places like Woofers Etc where the purchases were made. They're the ones that should be standing behind their products.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • UltraNutZ
    edited August 2013
    i wasn't complaining first of all and after re-reading what I typed I should clarify what I meant in this paragraph.
    "I have a full time line of events but not sure how to proceed with it because in all honesty, it just isn't right. If all these people are selling unauthorized product then Polk Audio as a company should do something about it instead of leaving their customers hanging out in the cold."

I simply meant Polk should do something about all these unauthorized retailers selling their products. I mean in the end, the customer gets left holding the bag and although I'm not blaming anything on Polk, there are plenty that are and will.

I was simply soliciting ideas...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2013
    Hello UltraNutZ,
    Welcome to Polk's forum, I'm sorry you're having a problem. I'm not sure what Polk might be able to do, MacLeod is perfectly correct, but you have some extenuating circumstances. Contact Kim Jasper at kjasper@polkaudio.com or via telephone at 1-800-377-7655 extension 208. I'll send a copy of this thread to him.
    Regards, Ken
  • UltraNutZ
    edited August 2013
    Mr. Swauger I certainly appreciate the info sir. I'll make a phone call later this morning to Mr. Jasper.

Thanks again,
    UN
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2013
    No problem, glad to be of help.
  • Renegade87
    Renegade87 Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    Hi Guys,

Rather ironic that I find this thread amongst the first listed in my MM651 search as I just experienced what I believe to be the very same issue.

Not two days ago I'm driving home from work in my car listening to a CD (Alpine IWA-900, Alpine KTP445 amp, Polk MM6501 (front) and Polk MM651 (rear) at about 1/3 volume... pop suddenly the rear channels sound like total crap.

I haven't had any time to look into the physical condition of my 651's yet, but I will tell you, I'm not happy. I will be following up with my registration info and further details with Kim Jasper as suggested.

Thanks.

Dave
    "The world ends when you're dead. As long as your breathing you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man and give some back."
  • lmasseyg
    lmasseyg Posts: 5
    edited May 2014
    WOW!! Just a suggestion on maybe an oversight, refer to MM specs! The people I've helped where i live did not pay attention to the Nominal Impedance value of 2.7 ohms. Hooked up and powered properly ive had my mm651's for 2 yrs in boat and truck. Hope this helps. Hate seeing a damn good speakers thrashed....

Pioneer AVIC-X850BT
    Front Doors: Polk DXi6501x2
    Rear Doors: Polk MM651x2
    Powered By: Polk PA660.4**FRIED AFTER 1 DAY OF USE**
    Substituted By: Alpine MRP-F300**SUX**
    Subwoofer: Orion XTRPRO 124
    Powered By: Hifonics Brutus BRX1400.1D
    Cap: Maxxlink Low ESR 5 Farad Hybrid
    Home Theater
    Sherwood Newcastle R-772A (which is now dead!)
    Fronts: Polk Monitor 65T's
    Center: Polk CS10
    Surrounds: Polk T15 Bookshelves
    Sub: Polk PSW10

Boat
    Front(2): Polk db651's
    Rear(2): Polk MM651's
    Amp: Polk
  • Taintman
    Taintman Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    I just had to replace my MM651 speakers after only 1 month of use. I have since heard about the suspect speakers and the serial numbers in question. My serial number was 6799. I am hoping Amazon will take them back. I ordered the new speakers direct
    from Polk. New serial number is 7269.
  • I might have just had a mm651 go out on me. Im running soundstream pn4.520D amp with polk audio mm651's for speakers in my harley streetglide. UltraNutz actually was the person to recommend polk audio speakers to me and is a great source of experience and information.
    Im going to have to dig into the fairing tonight and pull the speaker out and see what the problem could be. Just wondering if the stalk turns out to be the problem, is that something we can glue or fix ourselves? Or does the speaker have to be sent back? Im about a year out of warranty, dont it figure.
    I did have 2 speakers go out on me during the warranty period, and while Im grateful for those being covered Im a bit skeptical now with a possible third speaker going out in 2 years.
    I dont push the tunes full tilt either, usually not more than half way.
    With that said, when these speakers work they work great!
  • Hello,
    Contact Polk CS at 1-800-377-7655 or via email to: polkcs@polkaudio.com for assistance.
    Regards, Ken
  • I opened a ticket (Case Number - 00017900) a week ago with polk audio regarding my blown speaker and failed tweeter stalk and have yet to get a reply.
    I understand Im not the only customer having issues with blown polk audio speakers but I would think a weeks time is more than enough to make a decision or issue a RMA to see whats wrong with the speaker.
    A little disappointed and frustrated at the moment.
  • Hello,
    Sorry for the delay in response, I'll send this thread to some of the CS guys and ask for assistance.
    Ken
  • UltraNutZ
    edited January 2015
    lmasseyg wrote: »
    WOW!! Just a suggestion on maybe an oversight, refer to MM specs! The people I've helped where i live did not pay attention to the Nominal Impedance value of 2.7 ohms. Hooked up and powered properly ive had my mm651's for 2 yrs in boat and truck. Hope this helps. Hate seeing a damn good speakers thrashed....

Pioneer AVIC-X850BT
    Front Doors: Polk DXi6501x2
    Rear Doors: Polk MM651x2