Question about Mic Monitoring 4 Shots and Melees

SoleSky
SoleSky Posts: 10
edited April 2014 in Video Games
Hello Polk Community,

I've been following this forum for the last 6 months to try to get as much information on the gaming headsets before I purchase one. I'm about to take the plunge and I'm not as concerned with the muffled microphone issue as I am with the mic monitoring issue. I heard that these do not have mic monitoring and I also heard that the XO sevens/fours do not either.

I was wondering if this was a deal breaker for some people or if you guys got used to it? I tried a pair of Beats on at Walmart and was scared at how I couldn't hear myself talking and worried that it would be the same with the 4shots. For me this is a much bigger issue than the muffled microphone problem (which is fixed with the boom).

Do the Melee's have this issue as well or do they have mic monitoring? If not do you guys think there will be a solution? Everywhere I have read has pointed in the "no" direction. I'm just not sure I can deal with not being able to hear myself.

Thank you guys/girls for your input, I really appreciate it.
Post edited by SoleSky on

Comments

• Blankman
    Blankman Posts: 51
    edited March 2014
    Currently, none of the headsets offer mic monitoring like the Turtle Beach headsets did for the 360. The primary reason is the new Skype audio codec that MS is using on the XB1. MS has neither commented on implementing such a feature or allowing third party headset manufacturers to implement it on their headsets.
  • sframsden3
    sframsden3 Posts: 52
    edited March 2014
    It is taking some time to get used to for sure, but I assume after 6 months time of me using these new headsets that I will forget mic monitoring ever existed (unless of course Microsoft brings it back).
  • SoleSky
    edited March 2014
    thank you for the response! So there is a possibility that it can be reimplemented? I know they are a passive headset so maybe?
  • SoleSky
    edited March 2014
    I did not know this, thank you.
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited March 2014
    I doubt they will add it in later, but you never know. I personally hate it, and hope it goes away forever :-D
  • SoleSky
    edited March 2014
    shepx2 wrote: »
    I doubt they will add it in later, but you never know. I personally hate it, and hope it goes away forever :-D

Thanks for the reply Shepx2! I hope so too.
  • Austacker
    Austacker Posts: 54
    edited March 2014
    Blankman wrote: »
    Currently, none of the headsets offer mic monitoring like the Turtle Beach headsets did for the 360. The primary reason is the new Skype audio codec that MS is using on the XB1. MS has neither commented on implementing such a feature or allowing third party headset manufacturers to implement it on their headsets.

The Turtlebeach PX4 headset has adjustable mic monitoring, even on the X1. It's on the headset itself.
  • SoleSky
    edited April 2014
    Well I ended up getting the XO Sevens by Turtle Beach from BestBuy because my SO got the Polk 4Shots, so we're going to do a side by side comparison to see which one is better. I price matched at Amazon to get them for $130. To be honest, the mic monitoring issue did not bother me with the turtle beaches. I will test them with the Polks to see because they may have even better noise isolation.

I only played one game of Titanfall with the XO sevens but they get me really immersed in the game. I really enjoy them and I have a two week window of return should the Polks sound better.