polk 4 shot problems

chris diehl
chris diehl Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Video Games
I received my 4 shots today. Audio is AMAZING. Chat not so much. You have to literally yell into the mic in order for anyone to hear you. I just got off of the phone with Polk and they said that they discovered the problem late Friday afternoon and are working hard with Microsoft to figure out a solution but they has no date as of yet.
Post edited by chris diehl on

Comments

• Blankman
    Blankman Posts: 51
    edited March 2014
    I received my 4 shots today. Audio is AMAZING. Chat not so much. You have to literally yell into the mic in order for anyone to hear you. I just got off of the phone with Polk and they said that they discovered the problem late Friday afternoon and are working hard with Microsoft to figure out a solution but they has no date as of yet.
    Chris, these issues have been extensively reported in this thread: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?157577-POLK-AUDIO-4SHOT-XBOXONE-Comparison-verses-other-HEADSET/page7. The Polk Melee & 4Shot headsets are NOT the only headsets affected by the MS headset adapter. Many other manufacturers such as Astro Gaming, Tritton, Turtle Beach, Razer, Steel Series, etc. have also reported mic issues at an alarming rate. If you test your mic using your smartphone, Skype echo/test call, and Upload Studio (record VoiceOver while editing a clip); you'll experience solid chat playback which indicates that there's nothing wrong with the near-field mic. The problem is with the headset adapter/controller update firmware that was recently released on the Xbox One. Polk and other manufacturers are working with MS for another firmware update.
  • regnaston
    regnaston Posts: 38
    edited March 2014
    I call BS on them discovering it Friday. The problem with low chat volume was on the 360 with the Melee headset as well
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited March 2014
    regnaston wrote: »
    I call BS on them discovering it Friday. The problem with low chat volume was on the 360 with the Melee headset as well

Sorry dude, but you're the one with bs. The Melee reviews were mostly positive. It's a stark contrast to those now using the adapter.
  • Sirch
    Sirch Posts: 20
    edited March 2014
    regnaston wrote: »

I have a Melee, mic works great. I have yet to see a report of the Melee on the Xbox 360 having mic problems. Works flawlessly for me. Sounds great, and people can hear me. The issue is on the X1.
  • Wuzz Ranger
    Wuzz Ranger Posts: 7
    edited March 2014
    If I talk normally, people can hear me. The problem I have is that when my wife and kids go to bed, I have to be quiet. Yes I know their is an issue and I'm not complaining since Polk and Microsoft are working on this. I do wish I could hear myself through the mic to let me know if I'm talking to loud.

Keep up the good work Polk, love the 4 Shot!
  • SgtPayback
    SgtPayback Posts: 33
    edited March 2014
    I pre-ordered the 4 Shot from Gamestop and picked them up last Friday, 3/7. Unfortunately my excitement on release day was quickly dampened by early comments regarding a mic issue. By late afternoon I saw the tweet regarding the official statement from Polk acknowledging that there was indeed an issue with the mic. I was a little hesitant to keep them when I picked them up, but I figured I would at least give them a test drive on COD Ghosts and hopefully Polk/Microsoft would release a fix before Titanfall launched.

Over the weekend I played some Ghosts and the headphones sounded really good. I’m not sure I would say they are fantastic, but given the fact that they are not running 5.1 or 7.1 true surround sound I think this is as about as good as it’s going to get for any brand headphone. My last pair of gaming headphones were the Tritton Black Ops 7.1 edition so those are pretty hard to beat. Regardless, I really liked the 4 Shot as it sounded good enough and I didn’t have to lay cabling across the floor and plug a power adapter into the wall. They were also really comfy on my head and there is no boomtastic mic sticking right in your face. So far, so good.

However, when the Titanfall launch came and went with no updated patch from Polk/Microsoft I knew this could be trouble. Sure enough, when gaming with my buddies yesterday they all noted that my voice was really low and muffled. We all joked about it as we were aware of the issue. It had been a long and ongoing debate within our community of older gamers as to what headphones everybody would be using. Many of them stuck with their old units awaiting the MS adapter, while some of us purchased new sets. One of the other guys in our lobby last night was also using the 4 Shot and yes, he too sounded muffled. Meanwhile, one of the other guys who went with the Turtle Beach XO Seven sounded just fine. He was going to pick up the 4 Shot, but the mic issue was not something he wanted to deal with. Needless to say he validated his purchase decision last night.

As for me, I thought I had 30 days to return them for a refund to Gamestop so I was willing to maybe wait a little longer on a patch. However, upon further investigation on my part regarding their return policy I only have 7 days to return for a refund. The 30 days is for replacing the same product. So waiting and hoping for a patch beyond 7 days would lock me in to these fairly expensive headphones. And while I’m guessing they will eventually get it all sorted out, I am not going to wait around and hope they do. I have waited four months for a good pair of headphones so that I can game AND chat with my buddies. How and why there is a mic issue is irrelevant for most of us here. If every pair of headphones were having issues I would understand, but the fact that only the 4 Shot seems to have the problem is a showstopper. If anything, these Polks should have worked correctly and every other brand should have had an issue. Considering they were designed hand in hand with MS is what makes this whole mess rather head scratching. If nothing else I would have at least expected a quick and swift response with a patch. However, I am currently on day 5 of 7 for returning them for a refund and no patch is in sight. So they have been packaged up neatly in their box with the receipt and I will be returning them today. Regardless of who is to blame for this SNAFU, Polk missed a great opportunity to capture some new market share. Even if/when this issue is resolved I know there are many of us that will probably not be coming back.
  • regnaston
    edited March 2014
    shepx2 wrote: »
    Sorry dude, but you're the one with bs. The Melee reviews were mostly positive. It's a stark contrast to those now using the adapter.

really???

http://www.xboxgamer.me/polk-audio-melee-review-an-xbox-360-gaming-headset/

http://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/Melee-Xbox-360-Gaming-Headset/Item4320.aspx

There are more out there saying the exact same thing.
  • Austacker
    Austacker Posts: 54
    edited March 2014
    SgtPayback wrote: »
    Regardless of who is to blame for this SNAFU, Polk missed a great opportunity to capture some new market share. Even if/when this issue is resolved I know there are many of us that will probably not be coming back.

I share your pain mate as I'm in exactly the same boat and mentioned such in the main thread running on this issue right now, but the Polk apologists are very nasty about people complaining about this issue and having the audacity to repeat themselves because no one from Polk or Xbox are willing to provide an update or reply.

I have about 24 hours left and might just take mine back as well. The product is faulty, Polk don't acknowledge or update people who are on a strict timeline and the Polk consumer community here is toxic.

Anyone considering buying a Polk4Shot or are here after they've bought theirs are experiencing the same issue, please take note of this situation and make your purchase decisions accordingly.
  • regnaston
    edited March 2014
    Dont get me wrong, I wanted the 4 Shots/Melee to be great. I thought the audio through the speakers were great. The comfort was awesome and the look was amazing.

My issues are all with the chat capabilities. They knew awhile ago about the other users saying people on melee were sounding distant/tin can like
  • SgtPayback
    SgtPayback Posts: 33
    edited March 2014
    I was able to find one pair of XO Seven's at a local GameStop and will be swapping out this afternoon. Apparently they are hard to find, but not surprising given the 4 Shot mic issues. My other buddy is keeping his for now as he has until April 7. So hopefully they will patch the controller before then. I simply don't want to risk it and I would like to be able to chat now... not "in weeks". It's a bummer too, as I really like the design. However, it is what it is.
  • dummdumy
    dummdumy Posts: 1
    edited March 2014
    I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say that the mic is NOT messed up. I played with it on xbl and it sucked, then i tried it on my note 2 phone and it sucked, then i tried it on my daughters s4 and the mic was still horrible. So...then i used my father in laws set (the polk audio 4 shots) and the same thing happened. This is a big let down. i was so excited. I have had turtle beach xp500 for 2 years, and they are better than this by far.