The first time you heard a "real" subwoofer after owning an entry-level sub

ROHfan
ROHfan Posts: 1,014
I'm researching new subs and I'd like to see what anyone's thoughts were when they finally upgraded to a high quality subwoofer. This may help me decide which one to get. I have two in mind but want to hear what you upgraded to and what the result was. Was it noticeable? How much? Did you have regrets about the upgrade? Would you do anything different now? What were your expectations when upgrading? For the purpose of discussion, I consider my old PSW10 and my current Bic F12 as entry-level subs.
TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
Post edited by ROHfan on

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited March 2014
    The VMPS Larger Tallboy was the 1st real sub I ever owned. Here is a pic of my old tallboy:
  • Conradicles
    edited March 2014
    My only regret was selling it.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    edited March 2014
    Velodyne CHT-12 to an SVS Plus/2

Only piece of gear I've ever bought that my wife could actually notice the improvement.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited March 2014
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Velodyne CHT-12 to an SVS Plus/2

Only piece of gear I've ever bought that my wife could actually notice the improvement.

Technic's woof in a box to an SVS 25-31PCplus. Blew a clock off the wall before proper calibration...
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited March 2014
    Went from three...yes...three PSW505's and a PSW650 to a HSU VTF-15h.

That single HSU put out more bass at any volume than the three PSW505's could possibly muster. And did it cleanly where the 505's sounded like half dead flapping goldfish in comparison.

Now I have two 15H's.

While I haven't heard many other similarly priced subs, all the reviews seem to suggest it's the biggest bang for the buck sub on the market right now.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2014
    Coming from a car audio background, I've played with a lot of raw car and home subs (Boston Pro, PPI, TC Sounds, Elemental Designs, JBL WGTi, AE Speakers, etc.) Just about everyone I have connected to the home system to listen to it. What I found is using a quality driver in an optimized enclosure, correctly placed/aimed can make a noticeable difference. My goal was always quality bass and I was never the type that needed tons of SPL.

The current project is actually the first dedicated LFE project for the home that I've done. I shy'ed away from HT years ago because of hearing an awesome big dollar system with room shaking bass. I thought big $$$ was the only road to putting together a system that would impress me. While that is somewhat true, performance can be had for a reasonable buck if one knows what to look for and how to set it up the system.

Your current subs seems to be a good performing value sub. Where you go from there really depends on your goals and budget... .but there are for sure there are choices out there that can best it. Looks like from your other thread the HSU might be one of the ones your are considering? Not a bad choice! Also Outlaw audio has a sale on some of their B-Stock LFM subs. Their subs are made by HSU :
    https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/bstock.html
    http://www.outlawaudio.com/
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited March 2014
    Psw10 to an Outlaw LFM-1 plus, man, there is no comparison. I'm currently debating adding a second or trying something bigger in the lower 1k range. Decisions.
  • ROHfan
    edited March 2014
    WLDock wrote: »

Damn you, Dock! Just when I thought I made up my mind with the VTF-2...you go and do this. Does that sub come with the port plugs also? I don't see a "Q Control" on the back of the unit but with more power I'm pretty much 99% sold. Are their B-stocks usually solid? I mean, I emailed HSU and they offered me $20 off the VTF-2 so the price difference is negligible between the two. Just gotta figure if I want a new HSU or a B-stock Outlaw. A little help?

Edit: Great. Now I'm looking at a Power Sound XS15, also. Jeez.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited March 2014
    I went from an older Polk mid-level sub to a SVS 20-39CS+ rig... and there's no comparison. When you get a sub that trolls down into some house-threatening subsonics for movies and still maintains its composure for everything else, there's just no going back.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • ROHfan
    edited March 2014
    So I sent an email to Power Sound with a few questions about their XS15. About fifteen minutes later I received an email from none other than Tom Vodhanel, himself! That just pushed the XS15 to the front of the pack in my quest for more gooder subs.
  • Conradicles
    edited March 2014
    The specs on the Power Sound look really good!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited March 2014
    ROHfan wrote: »
    So I sent an email to Power Sound with a few questions about their XS15. About fifteen minutes later I received an email from none other than Tom Vodhanel, himself! That just pushed the XS15 to the front of the pack in my quest for more gooder subs.

When I was shopping SVS I rec'd emails from Tom myself. Seems pretty hands on.
  • 4xoddic
    4xoddic Posts: 372
    edited March 2014
    Velodyne CHT-12 to a Velodyne FSR-15

The Velodyne FSR-15 has been high on Tom Nousaine’s List for quite some time.

http://www.snapbug.ws/images/tnsubtest.jpg

15" subwoofer with 3" voice coil & 210 oz. magnet
    Built-In 250 watt (RMS) class AS amplifier
    Frequency response 18Hz - 120Hz +/- 3dB
    20”x21.75"x17.5" 98 lbs.

I haven't followed the "CEA-2010 Ratings. Nousaine rated the FSR-15 @ #6, w/109.1 dB, 25-62 Hz avg. Dropping below 20 Hz, I likely never pushed the RS meter level over 94 dB in our 19' X 11' HT, w/4 RTIa9s crossed over @ 80 Hz. We've had the sub off for several months & are pretty satisfied with bass response of the a9s. Ought to pull out the RS meter & test disk & really chart what's going on, as the wife is pressuring me to sell it.

I'm not sure I'd appreciate a down-firing subwoofer. There's something magical focusing on the subwoofer & cueing up Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra & watching the subwoofer vibrate until you can hear it.

"The first note is the bass C (at 16 foot) on the Organ, but in this case was recorded on the Liverpool Cathedral organ at the 64 foot stop weighing in at an 8.2 Hz."
  • WLDock
    edited March 2014
    ROHfan wrote: »
    .... That just pushed the XS15 to the front of the pack in my quest for more gooder subs.
    Cool! a sealed 15" ....my kind of sub. Well...I'm biased to sealed for music and movies and my room is kind of small-medium (13'x22') and I have too much furniture in it...two couches, a loveseat, chair, and the HT system. Plus, the mains have powered subs that can belt out enough midbass to shake the house by themselves.

Anyway, with your MartinLogan mains, I bet you will really like the sealed 15" for more than just movies. So full, pictures, review, etc are in order when you get the thing loosened up some.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    edited March 2014
  • ROHfan
    edited March 2014

Crap, those are sweet. Just talked with Tom again from Power Sound. The XS15 is a lock. And the wife's gonna kill me. But at least I'll die happy :)
  • WLDock
    edited March 2014
    Yep, watching War of the World now on HBO and the wife says she felt uptight after the pod scene. She did not look too happy after I told her how much more the house will shake when I get the sub done powered by the big DJ amp that just came in the mail the other day. She rolled her eyes and said, "Oh God!" LOL!
  • RduNC
    RduNC Posts: 87
    edited March 2014
    Funny that you started this thread. I just went from a PSW10 to SVS-PB2000. Bought February 6th. All I can say is I know what I have been missing in both music and movies. My next door neighbor what to know what movie I was watching. He thought my house was going to blow up. Was watching the mini series The Pacific.
  • quicksilvergts
    quicksilvergts Posts: 274
    edited March 2014
    RduNC wrote: »
    Funny that you started this thread. I just went from a PSW10 to SVS-PB2000. Bought February 6th. All I can say is I know what I have been missing in both music and movies. My next door neighbor what to know what movie I was watching. He thought my house was going to blow up. Was watching the mini series The Pacific.

Nice,I would love that. I can only imagine yours and that Velodyne FSR-15
    I figure within 3 years I will be up to par, amp/real sub "full" setup and a dedicated room.
    With everything driven properly not just with a AVR.
    As it is a bit tough getting into it since my teens/early 20's and have a 2 yr old now lmao
    Soon enough I will be charging(lol) people to come to my house for a movie night lol
    Polk Lsi9
    Polk LsiC
    Polk Fxi3
    Pioneer SC-1222
    Parasound 1200 II w/ Kimber Kable HERO + 4TC
    SVS PB12-NSD (Bash)
    PS4
    Sharp Aquos 55"

"If your BOLD enough to try it,
    your BOLD enough to make it happen"
  • Zentish
    Zentish Posts: 127
    edited March 2014
    My very first subwoofer was a circa 1987 Speakerlab DAS-SW kit, that I assembled and painted myself. It was a dual coil rig with it's own crossover that you fed both R and L signals into and then out from the SW to the speakers.

I still used that sub, but the first "real" subwoofer I heard was an old Velodyne from back in the '90's. It literally "growled" at me when I demo'd it.
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-NR929 7.1 AVR 130wpc
    Mains: 2x Polk RTA 8TL's
    Center: Polk CS245i
    Surrounds: 2x Klipsch RS-41ii (because they fit perfectly over the door and window)
    Rear Surr: 2x Polk M4a '90
    Subwoofer: Speakerlab DAS-SW dual-voice-coil 10" '88 30Hz-150Hz
    Subwoofer Amp: ONKYO A-8019 AMP '85 100wpc
    Display: Samsung 55" UNC55-8000 3D LED
    Console: Xbox360
    DVR: custom MythTV rig w/ 3 tuners OTA
    Zone2: 2x Polk M5b '87
  • hifi junky
    hifi junky Posts: 24
    edited March 2014
    Nice! That would match up with the SDA 2B's , same appearance with the Oak top and bottem.
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited March 2014
    This is the sub of all subs, I would Love to own one of these..

http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/model=sub-1/page=overview
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • hifi junky
    hifi junky Posts: 24
    edited March 2014
    In regards to the VMPS Tallboy, the oak top and bottem matches nicely with the SDA 2B standard version.
    I may consider putting a natural oak top on my Acoustic Profiles PSL SUB10.
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited March 2014
    Jhayman wrote: »
    This is the sub of all subs, I would Love to own one of these..

http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/model=sub-1/page=overview

Agreed......
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited March 2014
    Meh, I'll take 6 individual 750w subs for better room response :razz:
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited March 2014
    Cool! a sealed 15" ....my kind of sub I bet you will really like the sealed 15" for more than just movies. So full, pictures, review, etc are in order when you get the thing loosened up some.

going big and sealed is awesome , I have built many and found ported subs are peaky ( do well at tuned freq ) the small 10" subs in a small room are okay w/the port but once you go large room large bass its gotta be sealed .
    I got four twelves sealed in the cornor w/a QSC amp running it
  • ROHfan
    edited March 2014
    Just checked my tracking number on the Fedex site. My XS15 is in Jersey and gets delivered tomorrow. I promise I'll take pics of the unpacking and the reveal :)
  • Conradicles
    edited March 2014
    I am thinking of building an 18" sealed just for the fun of it. Look forward to your impressions of the xs15...
  • Dobermann
    Dobermann Posts: 84
    edited March 2014
    I went from a PSW10 to a PSW505 a few years ago and couldn't believe the difference. It was astounding. And from what a lot of people say that PSW505 doesn't compare to a lot of the other stuff that is available right now.
  • northernwind
    northernwind Posts: 57
    edited March 2014
    Went from logitech z5500 sub to a svs sb 12 nsd to a submersive.The jump to the sb 12 was a much more of a eye opener than to the submersive.