Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Comments

• lanchile
    lanchile Posts: 560
    edited June 2013
    Harman Kardon Citation 11 pre-amp:

Total interior:

9top.jpg

Front Panel:

7inputselectorfromtop.jpg

8inputselectorfromside.jpg

5Equalizerfrominside.jpg

Rear Panel from Power connector to aux power connections

14rearinputs1exterior.jpg

11rearinputs1frominside.jpg

13interiorofinputs1.jpg

12Inputsfromrear.jpg

10Auxilarypowerconnectors.jpg

15interiorofinputs2.jpg

16PCBboard1.jpg

17PCBBoard1contacts.jpg

18PCBBoard2.jpg

19PCBBoard2contacts.jpg

Wow, I love how they used to build gears like this one. a lot of shielding for sure!!!. it is a shame that many companies do not want to spend in "extra" metal or quality parts and have pride to show the inside of their gears. Most the time you will find a very nice amp, receiver etc, etc that look very nice from the outside, but as soon as you open it, you will find it's low quality build. Business, business, business...:rolleyes:
    Make it simple...Make it better!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited June 2013
    One Class A Krell KSA-250. 140 pounds, 4.5kVA transformer, 250WPC @ 8 Ohms, stable to 0.5 ohm at 4,000WPC.

There were three revisons of this amp. First build had vertical binding posts, second version sported horizontal binding posts and different soft start board with no separate low voltage power supply to activate the relays. This is the third revision with higher bias and some board changes.

Once upon a time Krell would mod these into mono blocks.:eek: I know a fellow here that has a pair of these converted to mono blocks. I bow to him.:cheesygrin:
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited June 2013
    Swiss made heavy platter Lenco L75 idler drive turntable, shown in typical stock hollow plinth and in modded heavy plinth form. Do this right and you get a table that can mount any arm and cartridge made. The plinth can be as wild as your imagination and budget for exotic woods. This one sports an automotive clear coat finish over layered Baltic birch with linear tracking air bearing arm. Some folks cut the OEM top plate, others leave it full size. Some leave the table stock and use the OEM arm.

Aftermarket parts are available such as stainless bearings, stainless platters, stainless top plates (full and minimal) and custom idler wheels. The top plates decouple the motor from main bearing plate. Using plates allows for increased surface area of plinth as there is less cutting to clear the OEM stamped steel top pan. You can achieve belt drive quiet with direct drive speed stability. Highly dynamic and detailed sounding.

Pics 2, 3, 4 and 11 are borrowed. 12 could be my next project.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2013
    Very nice!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited June 2013
  • zingo
    edited June 2013
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited June 2013
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    One Class A Krell KSA-250. 140 pounds, 4.5kVA transformer, 250WPC @ 8 Ohms, stable to 0.5 ohm at 4,000WPC.

There were three revisons of this amp. First build had vertical binding posts, second version sported horizontal binding posts and different soft start board with no separate low voltage power supply to activate the relays. This is the third revision with higher bias and some board changes.

Once upon a time Krell would mod these into mono blocks.:eek: I know a fellow here that has a pair of these converted to mono blocks. I bow to him.:cheesygrin:

Seriously bad **** looking amp - the heat sinks look like all business. 140 lbs requires a foot in the middle of the bottom panel! :cool:

I'd love to hear one of those.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • bondslex
    bondslex Posts: 108
    edited June 2013
    SLP is nice.
    LSI 15
    LSI C
    LSI FX
    80 fx ls for atmos
    Velodyne SPL-10
    Marantz 7012
    Panasonic 9000
    JVC 420
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited June 2013
    One of the local shops got a Mark Levinson pre/pro and amp in on trade today. They had the amp open for cleaning and I snapped a quick blurry phone pic...

Attachment not found.

Thing was huge.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • zingo
    edited November 2013
    Musical Fidelity Trivista 300 integrated amp with internal RCA cables

132702-musical_fidelity_trivista_300_le_integrated_amp.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited November 2013
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2013
    Nicer than your average CDP (or CD-recorder, for that matter)! ;-)
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2013
    more topless than open guts ;-) but I re-animated the Bottlehead Paramours last week in preparation to loan 'em out to someone and snapped a photo whilst they were warmin' up...

11037513993_6d37a64ffd_b.jpg
    paramours 112413 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

... just another opportunity to suck someone in to the high-sensitivity loudspeaker/single-ended, direct heated triode amplifier sickness... The first hit is free. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahhaaaa...
  • blushtraveler
    blushtraveler Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    pjdami wrote: »
    here's the back:

Pretty cool. This must have a powerful sound. I guess it would be perfect for multichannel home theater project.
  • Zitro
    Zitro Posts: 864
    edited December 2013
    Gaara wrote: »
    Recent purchase -> PeachTree Audio Decco65

Attachment not found.

How are you liking this amp? Looking to get one to replace my NAD and run my Sonos connect into the Peachtree DAC.
    - Jeremy

Amps: Jolida FX-10, NAD 3045, NAD C320BEE, Sansui G-9700
    Speakers: Polk Monitor 7A's, KEF Reference 104aB
    Sources: ProJect Debut Carbon, Sonos streaming FLAC
  • PreCd
    PreCd Posts: 786
    edited December 2013
    Simple in design but big on sound. My preamp build............Bottlehead Quickie battery powered pre.

theq.jpg
    theq.jpg 117.2K
    SDA2BTL
    Marantz CD5004
    Adcom GFA-545
    Bottlehead Quickie Tube Preamp
  • PreCd
    edited December 2013
    My GFA-545.

guts.jpg
    guts.jpg 183.7K
    SDA2BTL
    Marantz CD5004
    Adcom GFA-545
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2013
    PreCd wrote: »
    Simple in design but big on sound. My preamp build............Bottlehead Quickie battery powered pre.

theq.jpg
    Thanks for posting that!

Funny you should mention the Quickie ;-) I had my first aural Quickie experience a couple of weeks ago - one of the local tube guys brought one over. We listened to it through my SE 2A3 amp (JE/Angela "Simple 2A3" variant) and the Duplexes... and it sounded really dandy to me. Quiet and silky smooth. It looks like a toy in every respect, and of course it is cheap... but it acquitted itself very nicely.

The only real drawback (if any) -- besides, of course, the complete lack of 'snob appeal' ;-) -- is that it offers rather low gain (6 dB, if memory serves). If that's enough for one, it's an excellent gateway drug kind of little preamp, I'd opine!

Indeed, even its owner was impressed by its "synergy" (probably impedance related) with the SE 2A3 amp. He's used it with a solid state amp, and he found it microphonic and touchy in that setting.

It was really dandy on my hifi.

EDIT: What ancillary equipment are you using your Quickie with?
  • PreCd
    edited December 2013
    Mhardy:

Toy? Why I would put this thing up against any Fisher Price contraption that is made in China? ;-)

I have the Quickie feeding a Adcom GFA-545. To cure the microphonics that is inherent in the Q I went through a few tube brands. Finally settled on a RCA version. Almost cured the microphonics. The little preamp does a good job if you can control it. I have been tweaking the tubes with home made dampers to try and get them to a euphoric state. At this time I have it sitting on a 2 inch concrete cap block out in front of the amplifier on the floor. This weekend I am thinking of wall mounting behind and above my gear. I am getting good battery life from the preamp, better than I expected. With my listening habits I should spend about $60 per year on them.

Interesting to hear that your friend experienced a less microphonic environment with your tube amp than with the SS gear. I am headed in the tube direction. As you mentioned if you are not a tube guy this is a way to get your pavlov experience started!
    SDA2BTL
    Marantz CD5004
    Adcom GFA-545
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2013
    The Quickie was impeccably behaved with a CDP as the source and driving the JE/Angela Simple 2A3 variant. I rapped on the preamp's panel and it didn't whimper. The tubes in it were (AFAIK) those supplied with it.

....I've asked my wife for a Quickie for Christmas. ;-)
  • PreCd
    edited December 2013
    I firmly believe that any wife out there worth her weight can provide their husband with a Quickie. ;-)

I feed the Q with a CDP. My interest is still peaked concerning the Quickie's response especially when you tapped on the case. The supplied tubes that I received were the devil! Not knocking Bottlehead as I am happy to have a preamp that performs so well for $99. But they were highly microphonic even when enveloped with heater hose which is a home remedy I was taught. Great to hear that it performed so well with your 2A3 amp. It seems I need to study up on what the causes of microphonics are SS vs. tube. It sounds that there is a difference between the two.
    SDA2BTL
    Marantz CD5004
    Adcom GFA-545
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2013
    Hmm... we should probably start a Quickie thread... ;-)

The tubes used in the Quickie are notorious for microphonics; it's "just" an old battery radio tube (3S4); not exactly designed for hifi. Presumably the only - possible - salient difference in interfacing the preamp with different flavors of power amp would be match of the the output impedance of the preamp and the the load presented by the power amp.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited December 2013
    ^So what your saying is....

Keep in mind, "Its just a quickie" :biggrin:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2013
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Hmm... we should probably start a Quickie thread... ;-)

The tubes used in the Quickie are notorious for microphonics;
    That's disheartening. Why did they choose them, low power requirements or cost?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2013
    all of the above.
  • Glen B
    Glen B Posts: 269
    edited January 2014
    Acurus A250, recently acquired. The insides need some cleaning. Upon removing the top, I was surprised at how physically imposing the power transformer looked, rated at 1KVA. Upgrades planned including re-cap, adding bypass caps to the DC rails, and adding output relays/DC protection. One of the output posts is missing its plastic cap. I have a set of new WBT Midline posts on hand, and will use them to replace the stock posts.

A250_01_zps57ae52a9.jpg~original

A250_02_zps6b486fe1.jpg~original

A250_04_zps59f686c3.jpg~original
    Main System: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz SA-11S2 | Classe DR-10 | Classe CA-300 | Classe RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech power connectors | Dedicated 20A isolated ground line.

Home Theater: Toshiba D-VR5SU | Laptop #1 |Outlaw Audio OAW3 wireless audio system | Marantz SR-19 | Phase Linear 400 Series 2, modified | AudioSource 10.1 EQ (for subs) | Axiom M3 v3’s | Axiom VP150 | Optimus PRO-X55AVs | Dayton 12” powered subs (x2) | Belkin PureAV PF-60 line conditioner.

Party System: Laptop #2 | Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC | Technics SU-A6 | Acurus A-250 | Radio Shack 15-band EQ | Pioneer SR-9 reverb | Cerwin Vega DX9's | Dayton 100° x 60° horns with titanium HF/MF compression drivers.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited January 2014
    Guts of Marantz 2385

guts1.jpg
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • zingo
    edited February 2014
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2014
    a semi-nude I thought that some might appreciate...

12596663603_d331891469_b.jpg

EDIT: is is probably the best sounding $30 amplifier I've yet heard. PP 6AQ5 is essentially identical to PP 6V6; probably about 10 wpc.
  • Glen B
    Glen B Posts: 269
    edited March 2014
    Appreciated. It looks like one of my early 1970s DIY 6BQ5 efforts.
    Main System: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz SA-11S2 | Classe DR-10 | Classe CA-300 | Classe RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech power connectors | Dedicated 20A isolated ground line.

Home Theater: Toshiba D-VR5SU | Laptop #1 |Outlaw Audio OAW3 wireless audio system | Marantz SR-19 | Phase Linear 400 Series 2, modified | AudioSource 10.1 EQ (for subs) | Axiom M3 v3’s | Axiom VP150 | Optimus PRO-X55AVs | Dayton 12” powered subs (x2) | Belkin PureAV PF-60 line conditioner.

Party System: Laptop #2 | Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC | Technics SU-A6 | Acurus A-250 | Radio Shack 15-band EQ | Pioneer SR-9 reverb | Cerwin Vega DX9's | Dayton 100° x 60° horns with titanium HF/MF compression drivers.