WTB: MW 6503 drivers

Options
spotx
spotx Posts: 6
edited July 2004 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
need two MW6503 drivers for some Polk Monitor 10's I picked up at a thrift store. realize the new ones are decent value at 48 bucks each but would prefer a deal like someone was offering earlier this year for some used ones for $25 each including shipping. ever since getting some incredible 135 lb apiece Octave Gold's (obscure giant custom speaker out of Tampa many years back) for $30 bucks at a thrift store, I keep buying every set of good speakers I see, but haven't gotten another pair since that I haven't had to replace some drivers (which, of course, is why they're in thrift stores).
Post edited by spotx on

Comments

• Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited June 2004
    Options
    not sure if you are intersted but here is one 6502 which i beleive should fit and work the same, just wont be an exact model number match up.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3276&item=5705486622&rd=1

Keep your eye on ebay as they always appear and pretty cheap as well i might ad.

Spaz
    Life without music would
  • Pauly
    edited June 2004
    Options
    duble post
    Life without music would
  • spotx
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I wondered if the 6502 was essentially the same. I'd seen those on Ebay, and for that matter, my brother has Monitor 7's and I was going to pull both his 6502's and put them in the bad 10 I have, give him the 10's, and replace the 6502's in the Monitor 7's at my leisure. Anyone have any recommendations against using the 6502's in the Monitor 10?
  • Pauly
    edited June 2004
    Options
    email Ken at Polk CS, he will clarify it,,,let us know too

KSwauger@polkaudio.com

Paul
    Life without music would
  • spotx
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Doesn't surprise me with the twin driver setup of the 10's that this is the case.

Hello George,
    Yes, there is a fairly significant difference in the DC resistance, the
    MW6502 is 3.52Ohms and the MW6503 is 6.54 Ohms. Also the resonant
    frequency is 55Hz for the 02 and 29Hz for the 03. And the compliance is
    different, so no they are not interchangeable.
    Regards, Ken,

well, it's either the new drivers for me or a long patient wait for some used 6503's to pop up.
  • Pauly
    edited June 2004
    Options
    ah be patient...they will pop up. Just keep your eye on ebay.

Paul
    Life without music would
  • spotx
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Well, I only have 40 bucks in 'em so far, so even if I end up getting new drivers, it's not a bad deal on a pair of 10's. But yeah, they'll probably show up on Ebay sooner or later. I'm hoping the same for some Infinity RS3000's I have, because Infinity has gone to hell since their glory years in the late 80's and doesn't support a lot of their old stuff.
  • Pauly
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Yeah be thankful Polk still supports there old stuff. But that just goes to show the quality and craftsman/workmanship behind a Polk Speaker.
    Life without music would
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited June 2004
    Options
    spotx,

I have two spare 6503s that I am not using. One of them the dust cap is caved in. I got these from a guy who worked at a local audio store here in town. I have never hooked them up though so I don't know their condition. I don't feel any rubbing or scratching though when I gently push down on the woofer cone.

I'm kind of too lazy to go and rip apart my monitors to check out the drivers but perhaps we can work something out like $40 for both and if there is an issue with one or both of them we'll work something out.

Paul
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
  • Pauly
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Take two leads of wire and hook p to driver, get a AA or AAA battery and touch one end and with the other gently rub...if you get noise then they are fine. Polarity doesnt matter.

Paul
    Life without music would
  • spotx
    edited June 2004
    Options
    how much of an issue is the dust cap on the one? I had the same problem to a lesser degree on my tweeters and used vacuum cleaner hose suction to get just close enough to them pull them out again without damaging them.
    Did you do any further checking on them? (I get noise out of my drivers, Paul, just not enough and nothing on the bass end, so I'm not sure a simple test to make sure they make sound proves too much.) The price sounds right, though. Where are you located and how can I pay you?
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    spotx,

I am located in Louisiana near New Orleans. If you would have more time under your belt here on the forum I would just ship them to you no questions asked. Not that I don't trust you, but there have been some craziness going on here.

Send me a pm with your address and I'll return your pm with mine. We'll work something out. Personal check is fine.

I don't think the dust cap is an issue. Not sure if a vacuum cleaner will work; i can try to repair it with a needle to get it to pop back out or let you do it.

Paul
  • spotx
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Paul,
    The drivers you sent both work just fine. Thanks for trusting me to let me check them out. And the vacuum trick worked on the dust cap, but it's a lot more difficult than the tweeter was. Had to get the vacuum hose right up against the cap for it to finally pull out.
    And Spaz, you were right, all it took was a little patience (a lot less even than I thought would be required) and someone on the forum hooked me up. Good people, Polk enthusiasts.
    -George
  • pjdami
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Thanks George for being honest. Glad to hear the dust cap popped out with the vacuum. That's a nifty little trick there.

Take care and see you around the forum.
    Paul