Cleaning K&N air filter?

2»

Comments

• marine5068
    marine5068 Posts: 4
    edited January 2014
    Pick up a K&N filter cleaning kit, and it will tell you that you want to run water through the filter from the inside to the outside so the dirt that is in the filter gets forced back out by the flowing water, rather that driving it further into the filter by running water over the outside.
    So by that explanation of how to get it clean, you can see why dropping the filter in a sink of soap and water isnt the best way to do it, it would get some dirt out, but also push some dirt further into the filter.
    I've used K&N filters on all my motorcycles and cars since I was a kid and that's over 30 years now.
    There's nothing better than a K&N filter.
    Here's a good tip....
    If you want more miles out of the filter without cleaning it, just slide the foot section of an old pantyhose over it to act as a pre-filter.
    It will stop most of the larger dust and and road debris as well as insects from clogging up the filter too fast.
    All you need to do is pull it off and shake it out or replace it a few times a year.
    A pre-filter is also highly recommended for dusty off-road environments.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited January 2014
    Power washer on full blast, with a small child behind it.

I run K&N in all my vehicles, even the work truck. Have I noticed increased gas mileage? No but I haven't paid much attention in 20+ years either. My foot would ruin any benefit anyways but I like to hear the "breathy" sound when I stomp on the pedal.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Chezbu
    Chezbu Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    I don't know if this would work or not but someone mentioned using the K&N recharge kit. There is also a filter cleaning tool that I've used on my truck & shop-vac called Power Pic Pro. It fits on a garden hose or like I do, I just hook it up to my kitchen sink with an adapter and use hot water to clean it..... There is another tool called Filter Flosser too. Hope this helps
    How do you clean the air filter properly? I've heard stories about doing this incorrectly and causing damage to some part (MAF??)

Jstas...and others, maybe you could help me figure this out :)

Thanks!
  • Here's my take on K&N filters.
    K&N was designed for race cars and to let more air in to match the high flow performance exhaust systems.
    More air = more dirt, which isn't really a problem if you're going to tear down your engine after a few races, but I wouldn't want to subject my motor to long term use of one.
    I keep my bikes stock and trust that Honda's research & development knew what they were doing when they designed how much air flow was needed to make it run right.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I have used K&N type filters for aftermarket intakes on many of my cars for a total of 3 decades now............the more air=more dirt (when talking about automobiles) is not an issue at ALL, ever. Unless you don't clean and "charge" the K & N type filter at proper intervals, then perhaps this might be a minor issue.

For motocrossing or other extreme sports, dune buggy's, rally racing perhaps there is a small slice of evidence to your "dirt" claim.

In fact if you want to do some research, I bet the K&N types actually trap more dirt and dust and pollen than a standard gauze, paper element filter.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Polkaguy58 wrote: »
    Here's my take on K&N filters.
    K&N was designed for race cars and to let more air in to match the high flow performance exhaust systems.
    More air = more dirt, which isn't really a problem if you're going to tear down your engine after a few races, but I wouldn't want to subject my motor to long term use of one.
    I keep my bikes stock and trust that Honda's research & development knew what they were doing when they designed how much air flow was needed to make it run right.

You obviously don't understand how K&N air filters work. Not only do they increase the air flow, they stop more dirt from passing through at the same time.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Looking back through this old thread......a lot of members MIA :'(
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    I've never had any issues with k and n filter...other than it being a tight fit around the air intake hose (it's not the drop in type). I have my old filter which I put in the intake while waiting for the k and n to dry...so I am never without an air filter in the car in case I need it.
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited March 2016
    kick wrote: »
    Does the k&n really improve fuel economy?

No
    But it sounds awesome.

I don't know how I got this far back on the forum....
    Somebody help me, I think I am lost.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Pretty simple really Spray it down with the cleaner then spray it with the hose let it dry. I use a regular air filter in its place while it's drying. Gas milage improvement probably not the ol Yota 4x4 gets 18mpg on a good day.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Modern auto's will not benefit gas mileage wise from a K&N air filter. Sensors (MAF) will compensate for the additional airflow by enriching the fuel mixture. This avoids what is referred to as a lean misfire, which results in an increase in CO2 emissions. There will be those that argue that they get better mileage. So anything is possible, but this would be an exception, but not the norm. Another fact is the dirtier a K&N filter gets the more efficient it becomes @ filtering. Now there is a point of diminishing return as an extremely dirty filter will not be efficient. I actually only run K&N on my carbureted cars, and always the ones that I run @ the strip. I have jet and needle kits that I can make internal carb adjustments quickly due to air temps, humidity and so on. Therefore I want to have one common denominator a high flow air filter that does not get in the way, yet protects my investment just enough, and I say "just enough" because a real clean K&N air filter is not as efficient at filtering as paper or felt air filters. Not a problem as these cars see 2000 miles a year if that much.

K&N has done a marvelous job marketing over the years, but the bottom line is these are not necessary or even the best filter for your daily driver.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • heiney9
    edited March 2016
    All in your opinion, of course.

H9
    Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2016
    Deleted,not worth it H9.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • heiney9
    edited March 2016
    I'm not going to argue with you, just disagree with some of the things you posted as fact.

I've used K&N for close to 30 years, albeit on modified air intakes (only once as a drop in) and they have exceeded the stock setup. I've never heard "a dirty air filter is more efficient than a clean one". I'm all ears on that one, and I'd be interested in some solid proof. I have gotten better mileage and throttle response, but again, the intakes are not stock that are attached to the K&N filter.

Unfortunately, you can't buy a stock filter to fit on a modified intake.

Bottom line, is they work well for me, so I will always use one.

H9
  • heiney9
    I have very little to no experience with K&N drop-ins to a stock intake system. So I am speaking strictly about aftermarket air intakes utilizing a K&N filter.

H9
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    Here ya go.. Get a Volant CAI with a Power Core filter option. Go to 58 seconds on the video. No oiling, no cleaning and lasts 100K miles or 4 years. The sound when you mash down on the gas pedal is a plus too :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyoSx3WfXZ8
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited July 2016
    When I had a K&N, I would spray the cleaner and let it soak for a few min. Then I would place it over my utility wash tub faucet and let the water pour from the inside out slowly rotating it. Then I would repeat then place the open end over my HVAC floor duct and it was dry by morning.

After some research I tossed it in favor of higher filtration of my stock AC Delco filter. If I went with another type of filter like the K&N, I would get the Green FIlter. I don't like the K&N because of the reported fine dust that gets through, IMO, the little it gives over stock isn't enough to warrant using a filter that allows more fine dirt to get through. YMMV.