PSW108 hookup to a receiver with a single speaker level subwoofer output

Options
rmarles
rmarles Posts: 2
Hey all

Bought the PSW108 as a boxing day special in part to motivate me to hook up the surround system again.

I have a Panasonic SA-HT400 receiver, it's a pretty decent unit that originally came with it's own speakers, including a subwoofer.

The subwoofer was passive, and had it's own mono speaker level output connection on the amp.

Trying to figure out how to hook the PSW108 up.

The manual indicates using a line level, which I don't have; Or to use the front channel connections, which I dont want to do, partly because I want the sub at the rear of the room (I don't want to run double the speakerwire!), and partly because I'm guessing that this unit being a "theatre in a box" has the low frequencies already filtered out of the front channel connections.

I don't want to return the sub and being post christmas, buying a new receiver is currently out of the question (but something I may do in the next year).

I was thinking of getting a speaker level to line level converter and just run the one sub channel through it and using the line level in on the PSW108 - or - running speaker wire from the receiver to the sub's speaker level input, bridging the L/R pair.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by rmarles on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. The best approach might be to try connecting the speaker level bass output from the receiver to either the right or left speaker level input on the Polk. If your sub has one, set the low pass filter to the highest setting. Then adjust the volume level on the sub to get a good blend with the rest of the speakers.
    Regards, Ken
  • rmarles
    rmarles Posts: 2
    edited January 2014
    Options
    So there's no need to bridge the L/R speaker pair on the PSW108 inputs?

I think I read somewhere that the PSW108 does the bridging internally anyways as it's a monoral subwoofer, so that would make sense.

Just don't want to blow anything up :)

The PSW108 does have a low pass adjustment.

Thanks!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Hello,
    Yes, the sub will blend the two channels, although bass information is mostly recorded equally in both channels. You'll be fine.
    Cheers, Ken