Ps4 faq

Options
jflail2
jflail2 Posts: 2,868
edited December 2013 in Video Games
Good read for anyone considering a PS4:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Surprised by a lack of support for audio CD's, and disappointed that 4k gaming isn't supported initially. Also no backwards compatibility, so no PS3 games on your PS4.
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
Post edited by jflail2 on

Comments

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Sounds like there are already a ton of people pissed off about the PS4 not being able to play audio CD's or mp3s. Also it sounds like you won't be able to use a larger external HD, and the real pisser, the PS4 is not backward compatible with PS3 games.
  • snake1
    snake1 Posts: 567
    edited October 2013
    Options
    One would think backward compatability would be a great selling point. I'd buy in a heartbeat if they did.
    AVR - Onkyo NR809
    500gb HD for MP3 and FLAC files
    Amp - Parasound 2250 - FOR SALE BTW!! PM me if interested!
    Mains - Polk RTi12 towers
    Center - CSi5
    Surround - FXiA6's
    Sub - psw505
    Movies and games - PS3
    TV - Toshiba 52" HD

Every vehicle has one good nuetral drop in it
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Yeah, but they've been pretty straight-forward on the fact that neither PS4 nor Xbox One can have backwards compatibility because they're both changing to an x86 architecture. However, Sony does have the Gaikai service coming next year, which may let you play older games streamed to your PS4.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • Polkie2009
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Yeah, but they've been pretty straight-forward on the fact that neither PS4 nor Xbox One can have backwards compatibility because they're both changing to an x86 architecture. However, Sony does have the Gaikai service coming next year, which may let you play older games streamed to your PS4.
    This is a step in the right direction is this Gaikai service works. Does anyone know if the PS4 games will be in lossless audio DTS- HD MA, or Dolby TrueHD? Can't believe it's going to be released in less than 2 weeks.
  • snake1
    snake1 Posts: 567
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Will the Bluray player be better in the ps4? Like a marked difference from ps3? What is it on par with?
    AVR - Onkyo NR809
    500gb HD for MP3 and FLAC files
    Amp - Parasound 2250 - FOR SALE BTW!! PM me if interested!
    Mains - Polk RTi12 towers
    Center - CSi5
    Surround - FXiA6's
    Sub - psw505
    Movies and games - PS3
    TV - Toshiba 52" HD

Every vehicle has one good nuetral drop in it
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Will I be able to watch Blu-ray movies on PS4?

Yes, you will need to download and install PS4’s day-one system software update 1.50, and then activate your Blu-ray Disc video capability with a one-time activation through the internet in order to play Blu-ray Disc films and DVD video content.

What if I’m not able to or don’t want to connect my PS4 system online?

PS4 owners in North America can contact SCEA Consumer Services at (800) 345-7669 to request a Blu-ray activation disc that will be distributed via mail.

Can I watch DVD movies using PS4?

Yes, PS4 supports DVD movie playback; you will need to download and install PS4’s day-one system software update 1.50, and then activate your Blu-ray Disc video capability with a one-time activation through the internet in order to play Blu-ray Disc films and DVD video content.

Can I listen to audio CDs using PS4?

No, PS4 does not support audio CDs.

THE ABOVE IS FROM THE SONY link provided by OP!

It's hard to excuse Sony for trying to CONTROL ALL of your media viewing/playing? No? But I guess that's what profit is all about!

Backward compatibility shouldn't even be an issue. It would be fairly simple for some nerd to write PS3 emulator software for the PS4 instead of "requiring" you to play by streaming online? You certainly have MORE than enough HD space and processing power to do that. They just DON'T want to!

No CDs. Well, to be honest, most of us don't play CDs on the PS3 but using the PS3 to stream music stored on your computer via google's PS3 Media Server is certainly convenient.

Also, the "cheapest" BDP can play CDs? Give it a break Sony. Stop whining and make a full service machine! Oh, sorry, I forgot about "planned obsolescence"!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Polkie2009
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Lol, hey cnh, I still__ have to wonder why Sony PS slim 3 and I'm guessing with this PS4 can't play SACD??? And you're so right, Sony is all about control, with all of this online stuff.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Amazon and target have buy two get one free sale. Ends today ps4 games. Target B&M too! Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited November 2013
    Options
    So I got mine today, and for some reason it doesn't work properly when going through my Pioneer Elite SC-68. I get this....

IMG_2421.jpg

Grrr...works fine when I go directly into the TV via HDMI. Anyone else have similar issues? I did a reset on the PS4 to no avail.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Awesome broken out of the box. Nice 2013 and no one can get it right.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jflail2
    edited November 2013
    Options
    bdaley6509 wrote: »
    So I got mine today, and for some reason it doesn't work properly when going through my Pioneer Elite SC-68. I get this....

IMG_2421.jpg

Grrr...works fine when I go directly into the TV via HDMI. Anyone else have similar issues? I did a reset on the PS4 to no avail.

There were reports of some of the early release models having HDMI issues, but it sounded as if it wouldn't work on any device:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4-Units-Aren-t-Defective-Video-Reveals-HDMI-Issue-60555.html

http://kotaku.com/good-news-about-our-once-broken-ps4-1464813671

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I'll stick with my gaming PC. It's obviously a larger investment up front, but worth it for me.
  • jflail2
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Here's a fun PS4 review, from the very folks that helped to design the Xbox:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3021802/innovation-by-design/the-design-studio-behind-xbox-reviews-the-playstation-4

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I'll stick with my gaming PC. It's obviously a larger investment up front, but worth it for me.

Doesn't something like a PS4 have multiple CPUs in it rather than the ONE found in most PCs (even if a Quad core). And since these machines only purpose is to render games and "graphics" can't they be streamlined to do that "better" than even a game PC? Or am I missing something. I remember when places like MIT were taking dozens of PS3s and linking them to each other to make a small scale super computer?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Cmerrill
    Cmerrill Posts: 6
    edited December 2013
    Options
    SNAKE1 - "One would think backward compatability would be a great selling point. I'd buy in a heartbeat if they did. "

It also adds a lot to the price. They would have to keep manufactoring the CELL chip, which would have added at least $50 -$100 on the price of the PS4 at launch.
  • craigpsu
    craigpsu Posts: 106
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Anyone know how well it works as a BLU RAY player? I am kind of surprised it doesn't play audio CDs. I guess they expect everyone to have a separate device for music and then port them over the the PS4 or stream them through it? Kind of defeats some of the purpose of a media center type console.
    LSi15s, LSiC, LSiFX, LC80F/X, microPro 4000, Pioneer Elite SC-07, XPA-2, XPA-5, PS3
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    edited December 2013
    Options
    PS4 has been sold out every where . You can order one today w an extra controller or camera and you pick one of ten games for $517.00. At Walmart.com. Delivery before Christmas is not possible . Merry Christmas. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”