best receiver

belizeanlow
belizeanlow Posts: 4
edited November 2013 in Forum Testing Area
Good day i have just got a new home set up which i'm in love with polk audio RTI A7 , CSI A6 , FXI A4 and PSW-505 but right now i have a denon AVR-2112CI 90X7 not not cutting it can you guys please help me with the best receiver to make these babies come alive. i also have them bi-amp but see not much difference.

thanks
Post edited by belizeanlow on

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited November 2013
    Welcome to CP. What is your budget?
  • belizeanlow
    edited November 2013
    thanks all i can say i was looking at the Yamaha RX-A3030 I heard them in brandsmart on the Yamaha RX-A3020 the old one and it sound sick but open to anything just want them to play how they should thanks.
  • ken brydson
    edited November 2013
    The Adventage series is well regarded. Take a look at the Pioneer SC series as well. Good luck!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited November 2013
    Pioneer Elite SC series.
    i also have them bi-amp but see not much difference.

It's not bi-amping for starters.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited November 2013
    Such an open question so much based on what you like or want to spend.
    For me it would be.

http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR5010&class=Receiver&source=prodClass
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited November 2013
    And another vote for Pioneer SC series
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited November 2013
    Pioneer SC series, Anthem MRX series, NAD.

Unless you have a dedicated amp or are planning on one I would stay away from most Onkyo's and Denons. Their WPC is pretty much a lie unless the spec states X watts all channels driven. Otherwise your only getting a sense of what it can do with just 2 speakers connected, and the more speakers you add, the lower that number actually gets. Not sure if Yamaha's or Marantz are as bad. I cant recommend anything from HK for HT as their auto calibration is just HORRIBLE.

Any of the models from the Pioneer Elite SC line, NAD or Anthem will be pretty decent sounding and they dont lie as much about their specs.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited November 2013
    The Yamaha RXV series of avr are pretty much the same as what EnderShadow was talking about.Very nice specs at 1st blush but it's not xxxwpc driven to all speakers .My rxv-665@90wpc was a disappointment and I clipped the thing. I was lucky it had pre/outs and added an external amp to make it work like it should. If your only interest is movies then I would say ok/maybe but if your into music then absolutely no.From what I hear the Pioneer SC series is the way to go.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • belizeanlow
    edited November 2013
    Thanks guys I want my receiver for both movies and music thanks
  • ken brydson
    edited November 2013
    Then get an SC series and call it a day. If you want to save some coin, go to Costco and pick up a 1222K (rebadged SC61) for $469 and spend the rest on other upgrades....
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited November 2013
    Thanks guys I want my receiver for both movies and music thanks
    Thats crazy that your post count still registers a zero
  • ArsenalFC
    ArsenalFC Posts: 50
    edited November 2013
    Then get an SC series and call it a day. If you want to save some coin, go to Costco and pick up a 1222K (rebadged SC61) for $469 and spend the rest on other upgrades....

Off the top of your head, are there any real drawbacks to the 1222K that someone would be missing out on if they went that route instead of a newer SC series? (Assuming 7.2 and 120wpc are ok with said person)
  • ken brydson
    edited November 2013
    ArsenalFC wrote: »
    Off the top of your head, are there any real drawbacks to the 1222K that someone would be missing out on if they went that route instead of a newer SC series? (Assuming 7.2 and 120wpc are ok with said person)

Missing 12v triggers and a shorter warranty but the extended Costco warranty covers that...
  • ken brydson
    edited November 2013
    Thats crazy that your post count still registers a zero

Because he's posting in the testing are genius...:rolleyes:
  • belizeanlow
    edited November 2013
    Guys thanks so much for your help I'll look at the pioneers
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited November 2013
    Ken, you're cracking me up.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk