polk audio mm651

supreme one
supreme one Posts: 1
edited October 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
:rolleyes:just hooked up 2 sets of the mm651's in my boat the deck is a kenwood and when I get the volume over 20 the deck shuts off until I turn it down. Is this because I don't have an amp yet and the speakers are wanting to much power? the speakers I pulled out of the boat did'nt have the same problem.
Post edited by supreme one on

Comments

• eric-holmes
    eric-holmes Posts: 6
    edited July 2009
    I was thinking about putting these same speakers in my boat. I also have a kenwood deck and when I crank it up with the stock speakers, it cuts out too. Any light to be shed on this situation would be great. Thanks
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited July 2009
    The amp in your hu is clipping and then shutting down. Get an amp.

Guy's youre driving a 100watt rms speaker off a 15watts rms power source, and then youre trying to crank it....:)

The MM series are solid. To hear the true potential you have to amp them
  • eric-holmes
    edited July 2009
    Quick reply, awesome thanks.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2009
    Not sure if thats the problem. Yeah youre clipping the head unit and yeah a head unit is the WORST power source but it shouldnt cut the head unit off. Sounds to me youve got either a bad ground and/or bad power wire termination and its not drawing enough power. Even at full clip, the head unit should still play.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • eric-holmes
    edited July 2009
    I wish I could tell you where the ground was but it is on a boat. All I did was connect the black wires from the stock HU to the new one.
  • UltraNutZ
    UltraNutZ Posts: 9
    edited August 2013
    old thread but the issue is you're using 2.7 ohm speakers on a head unit that is only stable down to 4 ohms. get an amp that is stable at 2 ohms
  • AjsCrown
    AjsCrown Posts: 6
    edited October 2013
    I had the same issue,all new components! The Kenwood head would just shut down! The problem ended up being low voltage to my
    entire console. Not sure how,or why. I ran a dedicated powerline to the Head unit,and solved it instantly!
    Hope this helps.