lism speakers out of phase, says yamaho recevier. Help

Options
2»

Comments

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I didn't like the sound when I used the auto calibrate function on my Yamaha receiver, so I set it up manually. M-u-c-h better!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited September 2013
    Options
    My old yamaha avr did the same thing... it was annoying, it did it on my rear surrounds which are bipole/dipole which I can understand... but my Marantz with Audessy doesn't do it. It must be the way reflections are hitting the microphone, and nothing to worry about as long as they are wired correctly, and that the speaks themselves are wired correctly. Did you check the yamaha site... I recall doing that some years ago when I had mine.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • sk88
    sk88 Posts: 158
    edited September 2013
    Options
    With my pioneer, I repeated several times all with same results - out of phase when connected with correct polarity, no out of phase when connected with reversed polarity. So for whatever reason the mic is picking up from room reflection, it's real.

My question is that if that's how my room reflection turned out to be, shouldn't I keep the two speakers both reversed in polarity (both + to - and - to +)? This would mean that they would be out of phase to the other speakers in terms of how the wires are connected but may actually be in phase with the other speakers as a result in terms of actual listening. Which way I should do?
    • Online - Focal Solo6 BE, Polk PSW10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Lenovo x220t
    • Music/HT - Lsi25, Lsi9 (Vr3), Lsi7, LsiC, Pioneer SC-68 & BDP-62FD, PS3
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited September 2013
    Options
    which way sounds better to you ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sk88
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I'll have to listen to some multi-channel music to find out. But, let's say I find it sound better with reversed polarity on the two front speakers, is there any negative that I leave it that way long term?
    • Online - Focal Solo6 BE, Polk PSW10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Lenovo x220t
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Aside from the phase cancelation resulting from reversed speaker cables causing the end of life as we know it, there shouldn't be any issues.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Agreed, aside from the dog and cat starting to get along and the possibility of the wife turning into a zombie, I see no other issues associated with it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited September 2013
    Options
    He's running YPAO and I've had the same issue with out of phase.
    Christper2000 how big is your room and how close are the speakers to the walls?
    The YPAO is reading a lot of room reflections just ignore it, it's fine..
    Nightfall wrote: »
    That is pretty funny.

If it says it's in phase, you're good to go. If it says it's not in phase then ignore it.
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I got the same "out-of-phase" error message from my SC-37 when I was reviewing the 703s and 707s. Everything was wired correctly.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • sk88
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Thanks for all the "comforting" words! :)

Didn't want to hihack this thread. I beleive OP is using YPAO and I am using MCACC, but I think this is all relavant information.
    I played more over the weekend reversing speaker polarity and run tests. Surprisingly, MCACC was able to tell me each wire that I have reserved or reversed back. At a time there were 4 speakers reversed and the other 3 did not. So, I think it's measuring something on each speaker individually in addition to the relative phases among the speakers.

I don't know if this is true or not but I think LSiM must have wider dispersing angles than LSi speakers. That would lead to different room relections patterns. And that must be why I didn't get this out of phase messages with LSi while everything else remains identical.

The reason the AVR says to ignore the message if the wires are connected correctly is becasue the auto adjustment will try to compensate group delays for phase controls (at least that's the case on my model). So, at the end, I decided to leave all wires connected corretly as they should be and ignored the message as many people have suggested.

Dog seems to like the result, and wife likes it too. No cats.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I also had an out phase reading on my RX-V665 and checked and rechecked my wires.I used banded bananas w/ striped wire so I knew for sure all my polarity issues were right.I didn't also like the YPAO set up w/ the mic w/ the rears never to be heard so I also did it manually after I was sure all was ok w/ the set up.What I do like is going through the setup on screen tv which is a thousand times easier than reading the LED on the avr it's self..
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • pretzelfisch
    pretzelfisch Posts: 160
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I reran YPAO in my office yesterday for the first time after the 1.8 upgrade and it told my my lsim 703 are out of phase. This seems like it's a bug in YPAO, since this room previously ran without any warning and nothing has moved.
  • nhhiep
    nhhiep Posts: 877
    edited October 2013
    Options
    same with my denon AVR saying my RTi setup is out of phase. I trust my eyes with the + and -
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Guys I'm a little confused here....how can signal reflection cause a piece of equipment to display a message that the output load is out of phase? The internal wiring of the speaker or the amp would have to be crossed assuming the correct polarity is maintained between outs of amp and ins of the speakers? Never had this problem as described....interesting!!
  • nhhiep
    nhhiep Posts: 877
    edited October 2013
    Options
    ^
    from what i read, it's the xo inside the speakers that sometimes confuse the avr
  • sk88
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    ....how can signal reflection cause a piece of equipment to display a message that the output load is out of phase?

My understanding is this. If the soundwave from each speaker all arrive at the mic at the same time, then none of them would be out of phase. When soundwave from a speaker arrive late (meaning there is a delay between when the test signal is generated and when the sound is picked up by the mic), then that speaker may be considered out of phase. It is a matter of delays in sound traveling and room reflections can cause that to the measurement.

Those soundwave frequencies are measured in Hertz, which means the dealy would be in thounsands of a second. Quite subtle for the mic to pick up and measure. Make sure the mic is stationed with a tripod. It needs to be perfectly leveled and facing the ceiling without obstruction and positioned right at the normal listening positon where your ear would be.

In my case as I mentioned, there is nothing wrong with my speaker wiring. However, I can reverse polarity on any speaker and the system would flag that one as out of phase. I tried it on several speakers and each time the system flagged it correctly. So I am quite sure it's a result of delays caused by reflections. I don't know about YPAO (mine is pioneer) but a quick seach tells me that it can compensate for phase shift by adjusting speaker distances. That's why it says to just ignore the message if the speaker is wired correctly.
  • all4usa
    all4usa Posts: 4
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Same exact thing happened with my 707LSiMs and yamaha a2010, after doing same research you did here I just left them connected correctly (albeit out of phase according to ypao) and everything is fine. Good luck. BTW 140wpc 2ch driven from my yamaha wasn't enough for me so I just picked up a used sunfire 5ch x 200wpc which I'll comment on after I demo it for a while. Good luck
    yamaha rx-a2010
    parasound 2250
    sunfire cinema grand
    polk LSiM 707 towers
    polk LSiM 706c center
    polk F/XiA6 surrounds
    polk 65-LS rears
    polk DSWmicroPRO 3000 front sub
    polk DSWmicroPRO 2000 rear sub
    bluejeans cabling