What grill or smoker do you use

Comments

• oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    edited September 2013
    Weber kettle for grilling. A neighbor threw it out and I rescued it. It needed some serious cleaning. It was full of grease and had an ant nest inside if it. I did buy it a new grill.
    I use Kingsford charcoal and a Weber chimney and an electric starter to get it going.

I have a horizontal firebox and barrel smoker for the smoke and low temp cooking. I use lump charcoal and wet wood chips in it.
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited September 2013
    Webber 22.5 charcoal for me.
    007-1.jpg
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • jbooker82
    edited September 2013
    I have this thing called the smokeinator for smoking. It allows you to maintain a low & humid 225 deg smoking temp for about 6 hrs on one load of coal. You pack it with 48 un lit birquets and smoking wood. Then light 12 birquets and put them in. Place the water tray in and fill it up. The water lasts for an hr or two before it needs refilled.

IMG_8508_zps25dcb125.jpg
  • bobsauto49
    bobsauto49 Posts: 973
    edited September 2013
    Can't get enough of my Weber performer,and chimney!
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2013
    Indirect cooking on a Weber is easy and delicious - we'll be doing a roast of some sort (beef or pork, still TBD) this weekend on ours.

As a sidebar, I also like to soak wood chips or chunks (favorites include apple, cherry, or hickory) in water for a hour or so and put a handful on the grille itself whilst cooking to add that good ol' carcinogen-rich smoked flavor; yum!
  • jbooker82
    edited September 2013
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    As a sidebar, I also like to soak wood chips or chunks (favorites include apple, cherry, or hickory) in water for a hour or so and put a handful on the grille itself whilst cooking to add that good ol' carcinogen-rich smoked flavor; yum!

Put chunks on dry and let them catch on fire before you put the meat on. With the lid on there isn't enough oxygen to support a flame so the wood smolders and smokes a lot heavier. I get smoke out of the bottom vents even with the top one wide open.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited September 2013
    Just picked up a Weber One Touch Gold this last weekend. Grilled my first sirloin this weekend and was very pleased with the results. I have a new weekend hobby now :)
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited September 2013
    I have a Vision egg-type cooker that Costco had a couple of years ago for $500... I love it... The only issue is that you have to use lump charcoal... Briquets leave a real mess behind.

I also had a CharBroil Infrared grill... For something that was made of stainless steel, it sure rusted real fast... The insides collapsed after one year of use. A real pice of you know what...

I do NOT recommend anyone to buy the new CharBroil Infrared grills. While looking neat, the very small openings in the infrared grate gets clogged when you use anything with sauces or glazes... The openings are a real pain to clean.
  • Hartge7
    Hartge7 Posts: 3
    edited September 2013
    I've got 6 grills on the deck right now. A gas grill is on its last burner and will be pitched in a few more burgers. The Brinkman smoker is just too much work and will go, too. That leaves a Weber 22, 18, and Little Smokey for charcoal (Royal Oak preferred but harder to find so Kingsford is used mostly along with lump) and a MHP gas grill I just got from my brother. This MHP is the real deal for a gas grill. Nice aluminum cook grates that grab the heat and cook well with it.
  • Inthefade
    Inthefade Posts: 180
    edited September 2013
    treitz3 wrote: »
    BGE

Tom

Tom- what kind of lump hardwood do you prefer? I've tried a handful of brands but keep going back to bge brand and the good one.

Got a bag from BJ'S wholesale, Can't recall the brand, and tasted and smelled like an old burning house.
  • Inthefade
    edited September 2013
    jon s wrote: »
    I have a Vision egg-type cooker that Costco had a couple of years ago for $500... I love it... The only issue is that you have to use lump charcoal... Briquets leave a real mess behind.

I use a small vacuum to clean the ash out of the lower vent hole once its cooled down. Think it's a gallon size. Works much better for me than trying to clean out from the top.
  • toucanet
    toucanet Posts: 580
    edited September 2013
    Inthefade wrote: »
    Tom- what kind of lump hardwood do you prefer? I've tried a handful of brands but keep going back to bge brand and the good one.

I use this in my ceramic grill and am very pleased with it:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag102.htm
  • Inthefade
    edited September 2013
    toucanet wrote: »

I use this in my ceramic grill and am very pleased with it:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag102.htm

Thanks for the suggestion. Ill have to order a bag and give it a try.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited September 2013
    I use a Vermont Casting gas grill (3 burners) - HEAVY lid to keep the heat in.

To get smoke I use a pellet smoker tube
    http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNTS

I'm getting pretty darn good results with ribs, shoulders, tritips, salmon, chicken....still need to work on my brisket though.

I also use the dual probe digital thermometer (one probe for the grill one for the meat) that has a remote so I can be anywhere in the house and can watch the temp of both the grill and the meat.

Remember - if you're lookin' you ain't cookin' :cheesygrin:

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited September 2013
    Tom- what kind of lump hardwood do you prefer?

Hello. I really do not know which brand I use. I can find out for you though, all I have to do is go to the store I always buy it at. Yes, I know that I should know what I use but whenever I purchase a couple of bags of the lump charcoal, I immediately take it out of the bag and put it into a moisture proof container. I will say this, the lump charcoal at Home Depot is the absolute worst I have yet to use. Won't ever bother to get that stuff again, waste of time and money there.

In the meantime, you may want to go with toucanet's suggestion. I'm a novice to the BGE compared to his experience and knowledge base.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited September 2013
    If you can get Royal Oak try it...pretty good lump charcoal!
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited September 2013
    I use a small vacuum to clean the ash out of the lower vent hole once its cooled down. Think it's a gallon size. Works much better for me than trying to clean out from the top.

BGE here, and I do this too. I've had good luck with the lump hardwood that trader joe's carries, but I could see that being regional.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Inthefade
    edited September 2013
    I also use the dual probe digital thermometer (one probe for the grill one for the meat) that has a remote so I can be anywhere in the house and can watch the temp of both the grill and the meat.

What brand do you use? Looks like only a handfuls of them have a remote option. I even ran across one that uses an app.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited September 2013
    Hello, Inthefade. Are you talking about the Stoker?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Cassidy
    Cassidy Posts: 87
    edited September 2013
    I use a Smokin'Tex electric smoker. It works really well. It has a smoke box that holds a handful of wood chips/chunks. It smokes for about 2 hours (really all you need) and the balance of the time is a slow roaster oven.
  • Inthefade
    edited September 2013
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hello, Inthefade. Are you talking about the Stoker?

Tom

Sorry Tom, the top part of my last post was quoting Erik Tracy. I must have fat fingered it and messed something up. He said he used a dual thermometer an can read it inside.

Was curious which on he uses. Some have not so good reviews.

The stoker looks cool. Might try making one out of a pid temp controller and a computer power supply fan.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited September 2013
    Sorry Tom, the top part of my last post was quoting Erik Tracy. I must have fat fingered it and messed something up. He said he used a dual thermometer an can read it inside.

Was curious which on he uses. Some have not so good reviews.

The stoker looks cool. Might try making one out of a pid temp controller and a computer power supply fan.

I missed that...sorry.

I use the Maverick Redi check ET-732

I also read the negative reviews - all seemed to be about the crimp of the cable to the probe causing failures - so I did a pre-emptive fix before I even started using it by sealing up the cable where it enters the probe on both with hi temp automotive silicone.

The unit is now bullet proof and has worked flawlessly for me.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2013
    I use the smaller version and really like that grill.

A good smoker is on my list.
    I get the wood chips and smoke with it as well. It works great. I miss the flame taste sometimes but having juicy meat rules.
    It's a very cool grill.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • toucanet
    toucanet Posts: 580
    edited September 2013
    Inthefade,

Here are a couple of very good resources for charcoal and related ceramic smokers/grills/accessories:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/

The key to selecting lump charcoal or briquettes is looking for a product that has a high burn time and a low ash residual.

Good luck!
  • OldmanSRS
    OldmanSRS Posts: 418
    edited September 2013
    My smoker is a Brinkman Pitmaster, one of the old heavy gauge metal ones... I picked it up at an estate sale for $12 because non one saw her true potential. Some cleaning, home welding, a new paint job, shelf, and grates all for $35 and she's a winner. Smoke mainly brisket, ribs, chicken, sausage and fish using one or more hickory, apple or cherry which grow in the yard.

116.jpg

For grilling, the Webber I got for my 20 year anniversary with the company does a good job. I cook burgers, kabobs and wings, steaks, chicken, pork chops and in this photo, deer back-strap marinated overnight. Also a big fan or grilled onions, squash, and other veggies.

608.jpg

I have a Webber gas grill on the screened-in porch for use in poor weather.
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub (Original OEM)
    '20 HSU VTF-3 Sub (three more, 100% cloned)
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (upgraded/restored)
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (a second one upgraded/restored)
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix, internal surround amp bridged to drive only a center channel
    '91 Kenwood Basic M1D Amp
    '89 Pioneer Laser Disc media
    '89 Sony SuperBeta HiFi media
    One PGA2310 based custom built remote volume control
    Four Polk T-15's
    Two Polk TSi-200's
    Two Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's

• jbooker82
    edited September 2013
    You can hang the lid of your webber on the grill with the hook that's on the under side. That way you don't get dirt and junk on your food by setting the lid on the ground.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited September 2013
    jbooker82 wrote: »
    You can hang the lid of your webber on the grill with the hook that's on the under side. That way you don't get dirt and junk on your food by setting the lid on the ground.

Ha- my mind was completely blown the first time someone showed me that. I've been doing it WRONG!!! All. These. Years.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • jbooker82
    edited September 2013
    unc2701 wrote: »
    Ha- my mind was completely blown the first time someone showed me that. I've been doing it WRONG!!! All. These. Years.

Yea its kind of a hidden feature.
  • Inthefade
    edited September 2013
    toucanet wrote: »
    Inthefade,

Here are a couple of very good resources for charcoal and related ceramic smokers/grills/accessories:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/

The key to selecting lump charcoal or briquettes is looking for a product that has a high burn time and a low ash residual.

Good luck!

Thanks for the links. Started looking around today. I didn't realize there were so many accessories and such a following for ceramic cookers. I only have a plate setter and a pizza stone. Less for my medium sized but might upsize to a large as the kids grow.
  • fossy
    fossy Posts: 1,378
    edited October 2013
    BGEgg at home ...