Cutting the cord - need help

2»

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited September 2013
    So to bring this thread to its conclusion, we called to cancel earlier this week. After we explained why we were cancelling, they "Made us an offer we couldnt refuse".... They dropped the cost of our existing TV package from 130 a month to 20 dollars for the next 12 months. At that price we may as well keep it. That said we havent really watched much "real TV" but to check it for our recorded shows. We have been watching lots of "Community" and a new show called "Drunk History".
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2013
    Everything has it's price, and with that you won!

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• EndersShadow
    edited September 2013
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Everything has it's price, and with that you won!

Yup, it woulda cost me that much and more this month just to get decent antenna's (but those are a one time cost). This lets us keep up on our DVR shows so we are not a season or more behind, and is a low enough cost I can justify it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    edited September 2013
    They must be losing more cusomers than DirecTV...I called them to cancel hoping for a similar offer and all I got was "do you want it terminated today?" response :(
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • EndersShadow
    edited September 2013
    muncybob wrote: »
    They must be losing more cusomers than DirecTV...I called them to cancel hoping for a similar offer and all I got was "do you want it terminated today?" response :(

Sorry man :sad:.
  • muncybob
    resurrecting this thread.....I think we will finally be cutting the cord(DirecTV anyways) and look at streaming options now that we finally have better wifi speeds at the house.
    What's the best service keeping in mind dvr functionality is a must(I refuse to watch commerecials)?
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • EndersShadow
    resurrecting this thread.....I think we will finally be cutting the cord(DirecTV anyways) and look at streaming options now that we finally have better wifi speeds at the house.
    What's the best service keeping in mind dvr functionality is a must(I refuse to watch commercials)?

Depends... Hulu has most network TV shows, and you can pay for a slightly higher priced account that removes all commercials....

Otherwise I have no idea what else is out there.

We use Netflix, Hulu & Amazon Video (since we have a prime account already).

That gets us 99% of our TV shows.

My wife was talking about YouTube creating their own subscription list (available in select cities) that gets you a slightly different list of channels from the Dish/Sling TV combo lots of folks do.

For us, the TV portion of our bill is like 20 bucks a month, so we just left it alone, and on occasion we use it. For 20 bucks its nice to have since it also keeps us from having to deal with a cap.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    FWIW, we just dumped our land line phone and directv.

Got a firestick.

When we upgraded our net access, it came with a directv app that works on the firestick, gets the wife most of her shows, news and stuff. The app is 10 bucks a month.

The daughter has the same firestick and does some sort of youtube subscription thing. She loves it.

All I know about this stuff, "which ain't much" is It all wound up being cheaper.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    PlayStation Vue is hands down the best. You get unlimited recording space in the cloud, and no limits on what you can record. The only catch is that you only have 28 days to watch recorded shows. All other options either make you watch commercials by only giving access to on demand content, or limit your recording space, or limit what yoh can record (e.g. some won’t let you record ESPN, which is one of the main reasons I continue to pay for the service...)

PSV does not let you time shift, but as far as I know none of the steaming services do...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I recently had every motion picture and television show ever made implanted in my brain, so if I want to see a movie or TV show, I just think about it for a few seconds and it's as if I just watched it. I paid a one-time fee of $19.99 for this service.

Now, excuse me while I ponder the argument as to whether Ginger or Mary Ann is hotter. *Scans 98 episodes of "Gilligan's Island"* Damn, that's close. Ginger = 49 episodes, Mary Ann = 49 episodes. I was expecting Mrs. Howell's "milf-factor" to be a spoiler. :#
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited November 2017
    What's the best service keeping in mind dvr functionality is a must(I refuse to watch commerecials)?

I thought going with DirecTV was cutting the cord ;)
    It's been almost a year to the day that we ditched cable, and we're still very happy
    with DirecTV - pretty much zero dropouts or video loss ( I was told by a few people at work we would likely experience). And still banking about $60 per month from what we were sending Cable, though we did keep them for hi-speed internet - I pay $74.99 a
    month for Optimum 200.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • muncybob
    I guess it is cutting the cable cord, but I still have a cord out to my dish that I want to cut. If they would do an ala-carte selection I probably would be OK, but to pay nearly $100/mo for the handful of stations we actually watch on a regular basis is crazy. I could use some of that $$ for music and beer :)

Can't complain about their signal or customer service, it's been fine. Buddy of mine said he called to cancel recently and was offered a substantial discount and kept what programming he had. Maybe I need to make a phone call too.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    Got rid of DTV 5.5 years ago, and haven't thought about going back. I even got rid of Prime 2 years ago, because their original programming, was just more agenda nonsense, and what they had for free wasn't worth it.
    The only shows I've bought from them are: 1st 8 seasons of TBBT, Top Gear 18-22, 1-3 of Boardwalk Empire(may buy the other 2 seasons) and House MD (1st 3 seasons so far)

Spectrum is packaging streaming TV for $20 over my internet bill, but, there is LITERALLY nothing I want to watch;
    I don't watch sports ('F' the NFL)
    I don't watch the ovary channels
    I don't watch "reality" tv
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!