What grill or smoker do you use

Inthefade
Inthefade Posts: 180
edited October 2013 in The Clubhouse
While I cooked a few steaks tonight I wondered what kind of grills or smokers people have.

I have a Big Green Egg.

With the cooler weather coming down on us soon (NE Ohio) I was curious who else has a ceramic cooker. I use mine well into the cold season.

I also has an fairly nice propane grill. Sadly it's put to warming duty for large get togethers otherwise it just sits covered up.

So what do you use to cook your meat?
Post edited by Inthefade on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited September 2013
    BGE

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited September 2013
    Webber...all the way!...use only hardwood Lump charcoal...when I lived in the Southwest I used mesquite.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited September 2013
    Bradley Digital 4 rack smoker.

Load it up and let it go and stuff comes out perfect. Made ribs today... used the 3-2-1 method and they came out perfect.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited September 2013
    Masterbuilt Electric Smoker, Weber for gas grill.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited September 2013
    Tried and true Weber "One Touch". I've had mine since the early 1990s - I occasionally 're-animate' parts (e.g., replaced the handles about 10 years ago). When I finally learned that a chimney is the BEST way to start a hot, even charcoal fire... I think there's (still) nothing better for grilling.

It would be nice to have a real smoker... might look in to that after full-time retirement :-)
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2013
    Webber with Kingsford charcoal. I light the coals by putting them off to the side in a pile then I use a propane torch inserted through the vent holed at the bottom. After about 10-15 minutes, spread them out.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • badchad
    badchad Posts: 348
    edited September 2013
    WLDock wrote: »
    Webber with Kingsford charcoal. I light the coals by putting them off to the side in a pile then I use a propane torch inserted through the vent holed at the bottom. After about 10-15 minutes, spread them out.

Same. I use newspaper and a briquette chimney to get it started. One of the nice things about the chimney is that you can actually re-use old charcoal. It's not like charcoal is expensive or anything, but with just the old lady and I, sometimes I hate to get the entire grill going for three hamburgers.
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited September 2013
    Yoder cheyenne for the smoker. good ol webber for the burgers n such
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited September 2013
    Chargriller Duo with the side fire box. I've had it for three or four years and have been happy. Although, I'm keeping an eye out for a weber performer sale this fall.
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited September 2013
    used the 3-2-1 method and they came out perfect.

Out of curiosity, what is the 3-2-1 method?
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited September 2013
    jgido759 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what is the 3-2-1 method?

open smoke 3 hours, wrap 2 hours, open 1 hour
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2013
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

:-) Thanks!
    I am glad someone asked; I didn't know, either, and I was awfully curious, too.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    edited September 2013
    Weber Performer for charcoal grilling

Weber Genesis E-310 for gas grilling

Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for smoking

:)
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited September 2013
    Total ignorance here but what is different about a Weber that people like?

Thanks Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • heartystatue
    heartystatue Posts: 329
    edited September 2013
    I,m exactly the sane as sherardp. Masterbuilt electric for smoking (Too freakin easy) and 22" Weber for charcoal grilling only.
    HT: LSI15, LSIC, LSIFX, Emo XPA-3:biggrin: Onkyo TXNR809, Sony BDP-S500, PannyDMP-BDT320, MIT S1 SC. Mit 73842dlp
    2ch: SDA-SRS 2.3 Fully modded. BAT VK500 w/batpak, BAT VK5I, Essence HDACC.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2013

Thanks Mike
    For me, it is eveness of heat, predictability of cooking, and the grille's intrinsic physical quality. Mine is over 20 years old, sits outside all season year after year and is still rust free. The cooking grate still shines if I actually scrape and scrub the gunk off of it, too :-)

I see much, much newer (and FAR more expensive) Weber gas grilles on the scrap metal pile at the town dump almost weekly. There's something to be said for simplicity... heh, sort of like single-ended, Class A vacuum tube amplifiers running direct-heated triodes ;-)
  • codyc1ark
    edited September 2013

Thanks Mike

My mom had one when I was a kid, charcoal kettle style. Sat outside year round without any issues, maybe a grate every four years. I've had this duo for three years, covered until the sun killed the cover one year in and it's starting to rust and fall apart. Plus, they are so easy to cook on.
  • codyc1ark
    edited September 2013
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    For me, it is eveness of heat, predictability of cooking, and the grille's intrinsic physical quality. Mine is over 20 years old, sits outside all season year after year and is still rust free. The cooking grate still shines if I actually scrape and scrub the gunk off of it, too :-)

I see much, much newer (and FAR more expensive) Weber gas grilles on the scrap metal pile at the town dump almost weekly. There's something to be said for simplicity... heh, sort of like single-ended, Class A vacuum tube amplifiers running direct-heated triodes ;-)

What it it that they say about great minds again? :biggrin:
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    edited September 2013
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

+1. My Weber is about 15 years old and I wouldn't trade it for anything else.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited September 2013
    We have three Webers; gas, charcoal and bullet style smoker. Have looked at others, but have always stayed with the tried and true.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited September 2013
    My current Webber I bought in 97....not one speck of rust.......like the indirect heat method with a drip pan underneath the meat...burgers and steaks get thrown on an even layer of coals. Had a custom smoker with outboard firebox when I lived in Houston..gave it to a neighbor buddy...it was like giving up an old friend!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited September 2013
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited September 2013
    A Char-Broil Commercial grill and a Webber Smokey Mtn Cooker for our smoker.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited September 2013
    mantis wrote: »

I use the smaller version and really like that grill.

A good smoker is on my list.
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited September 2013
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Thanks, I'll have to try that method.:mrgreen:
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited September 2013
    jgido759 wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll have to try that method.:mrgreen:

It varies especially regulating the temp for the 1st 2-3 hours...but if you f-it up you'll have jerky on a bone, guests maybe disappointed but who cares 'cause I like jerky:cheesygrin:
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    edited September 2013
    Big Green Egg. Wifey bought it for me for my 50th birthday! Grill year round up here. Always had Webers before that. I mostly slow cook everything. Sept fish and burgers. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited September 2013
    I smoke while I grill, does that count ?

Just a simple gas Charbroil, but I'm thinking of a firepit for wood grilling. Something about that open firepit from the camping days that I still crave. Wouldn't mind a nice pizza oven either.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited September 2013
    Tony, the wife and I still swear that the best bacon, egg and cheese muffin we have EVER had was cooked in a cast iron skillet over an open wood flame. No matter how many times we have tried to emulate this, nothing has ever come even remotely close. No matter the cooking method. Don't think. Do. Be like Nike.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited September 2013
    Weber grill. Sure they cost more, but they more than make up for it in quality, and lifespan. Been using the same one for 10 years now. Sits out through summer storms, and winter snow, still lights first time everytime.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,