My first real headphones - Audio-Technica ATH-AD700

ViperZ
ViperZ Posts: 2,046
edited August 2013 in Headphones
I was looking to buy a pair of more expensive headphones, but decided to go in "slowly".

AT ATH-AD700 open-back headhphones are now on sale for $99 on amazon.com . Will receive them in a couple of weeks and will post my first impressions!!
Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
B&W CDM1-SE fronts
B&W CDM-CNT center
B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
Belkin PF60 Power Center
Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
Post edited by ViperZ on

Comments

• coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited November 2012
    They're a lot of fun really good for classical and have a really nice soundstage.. however they are very light in the bass so be aware of that. because of their soundstaging they are pretty decent for gaming as well.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • ViperZ
    edited November 2012
    I am planning to use them mainly with my PCs. One has Asus Xonar DG, the other has some top of the line soundblaster sound card. Hopefully it will be enough to drive these headphones, from what I read.

Headphones connector in my Onkyo 805 has had a cold solder joint since day 1 (and I bought it new). Maybe I'll find some time and resolder that connector properly now that I have something to use it with :)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited November 2012
    These cans are easy to drive, but of course, a headphone amp does offer improved dynamics and detail.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • ViperZ
    edited December 2012
    Finally had an afternoon to listen to these headphones. They are big and light. Definitely very good imaging and not much bass due to open back design. The only thing that I'm getting used to is the 'self-adjusting' flaps feature, not a big fan, but it will do.
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2012
    I just ordered a pair of these myself. I now have these and 2 pairs of Beyers (used from flea market) coming next week.

I'll be using them with my pc, but run the htpc through my Denon, so I should be able to push everything well.

Have you tried gaming with these Viperz? Have you noticed a particular music genre shining with these? Looking forward to playing the taste test game!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • poguy
    poguy Posts: 14
    edited August 2013
    My first headphone is beats by dre pro,feel very good, good sound quality , appearance is also very beautiful, recommended to everyone! www.drdreheadphone.co.uk :mrgreen::cheesygrin::cheesygrin:
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited August 2013
    You even resurrect dead threads to link dre headphones? Pretty fishy. You're on the wrong forum anyway, people around here know that Dre and Bose spend more on advertising than any other brand to hype up a product not worth the money they charge.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ViperZ
    edited August 2013
    jflail2 wrote: »
    I just ordered a pair of these myself. I now have these and 2 pairs of Beyers (used from flea market) coming next week.

I'll be using them with my pc, but run the htpc through my Denon, so I should be able to push everything well.

Have you tried gaming with these Viperz? Have you noticed a particular music genre shining with these? Looking forward to playing the taste test game!

jfail, I played a bit in mine - a little FPS and some strategy games. For FPS, I'd probably prefer a closed-back headphones just for more dynamics in the sound.

These headphones are very airy soundy, not much bass. Not sure if I can say that a specific music genre shines through them - I listen to rock, jazz, pop, depending on my mood. Rock doesn't sound that great, jazz and most pop music sound very good.
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2013
    poguy wrote: »
    My first headphone is beats by dre pro,feel very good, good sound quality , appearance is also very beautiful, recommended to everyone! www.drdreheadphone.co.uk :mrgreen::cheesygrin::cheesygrin:

I think "you" need a dose of JUDGE DREDD! Reported!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited August 2013
    ViperZ wrote: »
    jfail, I played a bit in mine - a little FPS and some strategy games. For FPS, I'd probably prefer a closed-back headphones just for more dynamics in the sound.

These headphones are very airy soundy, not much bass. Not sure if I can say that a specific music genre shines through them - I listen to rock, jazz, pop, depending on my mood. Rock doesn't sound that great, jazz and most pop music sound very good.

Good intel, thanks man. I have been using my Beyer 990's for gaming/living rooms listening, so these have been relegated to "ipad headphones". Perfect for listening to music and reading a book on the ipad in bed at night. Agreed on the bass being light, but for the price, I can live with it.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"