Seek advice for cheap headphones !

polkshine
polkshine Posts: 6
edited August 2013 in Headphones
I need an over-ear headphone, but i can only accept 150 dollars. I hope it has a good guality with nice sound and beautiful design. Anyone can give several choices?
Post edited by polkshine on

Comments

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited August 2013
    Best Buy had Harman Kardon HARKAR-BT on clearance for $150 about a month ago. You may still find a pair. They have a really nice sound and have bluetooth and wired to boot.
    Stan
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2013
    Welcome to Club Polk!

Is that the real Milan in Italy or a city in the U.S.? Just curious as that would affect where and what you can purchase.

Really, with headphones looks and performance do not always go together. What kind of music will you be listening to?

Closed back, open back, or in ear? Sources and amplification? Lots of questions.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • polkshine
    edited August 2013
    skrol wrote: »
    Best Buy had Harman Kardon HARKAR-BT on clearance for $150 about a month ago. You may still find a pair. They have a really nice sound and have bluetooth and wired to boot.
    Stan

thank you! i will go to this site to have a look. Any other advice?
  • polkshine
    edited August 2013
    cnh wrote: »
    Welcome to Club Polk!

Is that the real Milan in Italy or a city in the U.S.? Just curious as that would affect where and what you can purchase.

Really, with headphones looks and performance do not always go together. What kind of music will you be listening to?

Closed back, open back, or in ear? Sources and amplification? Lots of questions.

cnh
    in Italy.
    i usually listen to rock music, on ear maybe the best !
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2013
    A go to phone in that under 150 category has always been the Audio Technica ATH-M50. It's a little bulky and might not be that attractive unless you get it in its WHITE version? This is a pretty good H-phone for general listening and has some bass slam if you like that. The mids are a tad recessed, the highs are sparkly and it has some sound stage for a closed back phone--this is probably accomplished by angling the 45 mm drivers on each side--among other things.

Another phone some here like is the AKG K240 MKII. A semi-open design.

A bass heavy can with some style and the ability to "customize" are the V-Moda series. The 100s are the preferred phone but they may be a little expensive.

The Sennheiser HD 558s (even better the HD 598 if you can find them "cheap") are not bad for movies and music--not the most detailed cans but very mellow, warm pleasing sound.

And the Beyerdynamic DT770 can sometimes be found in that $160+ range new--sound is not unlike the Technicas above but many prefer the Beyer signature.

The problem with recommendations is that you might not like the sound of some of the above and really need to hear them. The other problem is that they ALL might be more expensive in Italy than in the U.S.? Most of what I have listed can be found for 180 or less (a lot less in some instances) on sales or discounts.

A great site for general info on headphones is http://www.head-fi.org/ I highly recommend you do some searches or reading over there as well!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited August 2013
    I'll add another to the list ..... the UE 6000, only slightly over your limit of $150 at $158. I have the Audio technica M50's and prefer the UE 6000's.

Price Reference: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-982-000079-UE-6000-Headphones/dp/B0094S36RI

Reference Page for more information: http://ue.logitech.com/en-us/product/ue6000?crid=1376

To add to CNH's recommendation about Head-Fi, I would also recommend Tyll's page at Inner Fidelity:
    http://www.innerfidelity.com/

and welcome to Club Polk!

Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • eeagle
    eeagle Posts: 226
    edited August 2013
    The headphone I keep returning to is Grado SR60...amazing sound for well under $100

My latest discovery though is Noontec Zorro's if you like bling (look like Monster Solos) and have really great response not just thumper lows. They even have a wireless (Bluetooth) model that takes a cable as well....best all around.
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited August 2013
    skrol wrote: »
    Stan

$124.99

This is an excellent set of cans... I was a lot more impressed by these than I thought I would be. I bought three pairs. One for Father's Day, one for me and one for my brother as he was equally impressed. You can do wired or Bluetooth with them and he sound quality is excellent either way. We have akg q701, 271mkii, and Beyerdynamic 770s to compare. For the money these are excellent.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • polkshine
    edited August 2013
    Thank you for giving me so much advice.:cheesygrin:
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited August 2013
    pomain wrote: »
    My sister...maybe you can get it in there with me.:cheesygrin:
    o.O Wait, what?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited August 2013
    Gigity.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD