New Wheels - New install

Options
eloplayspolo
eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
edited August 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
god this place is dead :(

So here we go. New wheels - 2013 Prius two.
I am driving about 20k miles a year right now and the subaru was killing me on gas. 15mpg 91 octane. No ty.
So I got a Prius at wholesale cost and 0% financing. Saving 250 dollars a month on gas and the payment only went up 100 bucks. While I am not IN LOVE with my car, it is extremely practical for how much i drive.

Anyways, I have my sr5250s and sr 12 laying around with an MS8, kenwood xr1 and xr4. I am going to keep the radio stock because it has some functionality that I dont want to lose. I am strongly considering selling the 5250s and getting something else - i just dont know what i want.
I am def selling the sr12 because i dont want to have the box back there. So i am prob going to grab a SI MKIV when it comes out.

any suggestion on some reasonably priced comps that will be better than the 5250s - I think i liked my carbon momo 6.5's better.
2013 Toyota Prius
Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
(2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
Mosconi 6to8 v8
Post edited by eloplayspolo on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    edited August 2013
    Options
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2013
    Options
    There are no "reasonably priced" components that sound better than the SR5250's. They are some of the best speakers ever made. Not just saying that because I'm on a Polk forum.

There are better than it you're gonna have to pay for it and I'm talking like $1000. Those mids are the thing. The tweeters are the same as the $25 Vifa XT25 that you can get on Madisound but that mid is simply superb. When you look at the Klippel measurements on sites like DIYMA and then look at the SR's, they're better than the vast majority out there and only bested by a few.

So maybe upgrade the tweeter to a soft dome like the Scan Illuminators or something different like the LPG aluminum dome tweeters, go active and really bring out the best in those mids.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited August 2013
    Options
    - I think I liked my carbon momo 6.5's better.
    What do you like about the Momo's over the SR's? What are you looking for that is missing with the SR's?
    MacLeod wrote: »
    So maybe upgrade the tweeter to a soft dome like the Scan Illuminators .....
    Now you're talking....Scan Illum tweets, Rev Woofers running active....but priced on the high side...$220 Tweeters, $440 woofers. The Scan will have a different character and the mids can go pretty low if the door install is up to par.

But, we know to know what eloplayspolo is after.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2013
    Options
    While there may be speakers you like better than the SR's out of the box, you're still not going to find much better when looking at the raw drivers. The 5250's have a Qts of .70 which PERFECT. That is the ideal you would build a box to achieve but the 5250's have this sitting in your door panel (6.5's are .65). They play up to 5K the effort they start rolling off bad even off axis.

I'd strongly suggest keeping at least the mids, getting some different tweets, go active and start tuning. You can make SR speakers sound a LOT better by actively tuning them than by running them stock. Stock, the crossover point is too low. It's fine when on a sound board but not fine when the mids are in*the doors off axis while the tweeters are 3' higher and more on axis.

Trust me dude. I may very well be the world foremost expert on tuning the Polk SR's in a car. I've been using the 6's mainly these last 8 years competing but I did run the 5's in 07 in my Accord. And again in 11 in my Edge. They're not the best for midbass but for everything above 80 Hz, you're not going to find much better for a car. *
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • eloplayspolo
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I miss the punch from the Momos midbass. The SRs clarity is insane, but only with good recordings, like what Cody said.

I ran the SRs active with the MS8 in my last build, and the doors were sealed and dampened EXTREMELY well.

As far as tuning goes - Honestly, i felt like the MS8 gave nearly no flexibility, i was concerned that i didnt have the skills to do a full manual tune with a bit one or the mosconi unit.

Any of you guys ever get over installing? I know you do Mac, you complain the whole way :)
    Maybe i need to do this one slowly i wonder what Bing charges for an install...

What recommendations do you have for the midbass install in the door?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8