PA D5000.5 and mm651um wiring.

Options
Arm3nian
Arm3nian Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi all,
I am not new to car audio world, but this is the first install that I am handling by myself.
I am wiring my 20' SeaRay. I have Polk PA D5000.5 amp, 8 mm651um speakers and 1 mm1040um sub.
I am using 14awg wire for speakers and 12awg for woofer.
Right now I have 4 speakers and a woofer wired one to each channel of the amp.
From reading the manual I am understanding that the FR,FL,RR,RL channels are 2ohm. If I bridge them they are 4ohm.. speakers are rated at 4ohms. And that is where I get so confused.
Amp is rated at 70w rms at 4ohms and 100 at 2ohm. Do I need to wire 2 speakers per channel to make the most ofthe amp? So the other two speakers can go to the same channel as the first two. Will that make them parallel? And if that isthe case the load will drop to 2ohm so technically I am getting more power out of the amp? Should I run the wire for other speakers back to the amp or just to the back of the speakers that are already wired?
Or do I just need to get a second amp to power the other 4 speakers.

I am sorry I am babbling on, just a bit confused...
Post edited by Arm3nian on

Comments

• Arm3nian
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Did I post in a dead forum, or is this as confusing to you as it is to me?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Yeah, it's pretty much a dead forum at least on the car audio side. I'm basically the last man standing. :cry:

If you have one speaker wired to each channel, your running at 4 ohms per channel. You'd have to wire a pair of 4 ohm speakers to a single channel to get a 2 ohm load.

The way you have it running now is correct. 1 speaker per channel and the sub on the subwoofer channel.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Arm3nian
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Sorry to hear that and thank you for your reply.
    Can I wire the other 4 speakers to the amp or will it be too much of a load?
    Also when I am connecting the other 4 do I need to run the wire back to the amp or just to the nearest speaker I want to make a
    parallel connection with?
  • stanletmontena
    stanletmontena Posts: 10
    edited July 2013
    Options
    You might a little less quality as that can overload it. But give it a try anyways..