Polk UltraFit 1000 v 3000 - whats the diff?"

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
edited June 2013 in Headphones
Title says it all. Looking at specs on my phone can't really tell what the differences are? I need a pair for biking/walking and I loved my UltraFit 3000's I had (that the dig ate :evil:).

That said trying to not spend too much on them as they are not my primary headphones or used for any type of critical listening.

I know that the 3000's are on the eBay site for 60 bucks (but used headphone somewhat ick me out) but just wondering how big a difference there is between the models.

Thanks in advanced.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    edited June 2013
    bump... anyone?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited June 2013
    One difference is the fit. The 1000's sit in the bowl of the outer ear and the 3000's use silicone tips. Both should stay pretty well put due to the ear hook but the silicone tips will provide better isolation and you will hear more bass with tips.

If you haven't worn IEM's before, the 1000's might be more comfortable. Some folks have a hard time getting used to inserting a headphone. I would also suspect there would be fewer microphonics (noise from cable rattle and movement) from the 1000's.

That being said, I would also expect better sound from the 3000's. When I was looking into IEM's is was easy to hear the difference between headphones sitting in the outer ear vs those inserted into the ear. The secret is getting the right tip that is comfortable and gives a good seal. On my Phonaks I prefer the comply foam tips. On my Westone's I prefer the Shure Olive tips.

I don't have ears on either of these so I couldn't speak to sound quality. Just general observations about the different types.

Sorry I couldn't be more help :\
    Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • gdpeck
    gdpeck Posts: 840
    edited June 2013
    The 3000s are designed like an IEM and seal in the ear to provide isolation.
    The 1000s are not designed to seal, and are designed so that you are not isolated from the rest of the world. Based on the content of your other thread, and the fact that these are both marketed as fitness/sports headphones, I'm guessing you might be looking for something to wear while riding your new bike, and in that case the 1000s are probably a better application for your needs.

If I went to the gym, I would probably want 3000s or some other isolating earphones, to block out the crap gym's usually play on their PAs. For outdoor excercise I want to hear what is around me in addition to the music.

I don't own the 3000s, but do own the 1000s, and they have the potential to be awesome fitness earphones for outdoor activities. They don't isolate, which in my opinion is a good thing for safety while exercising outdoors. They do not transmit any microphonics at all because they don't isolate, and they are quite good at staying positioned in your ear, even when you get sweaty. They were my running headphones of choise for a few months.

My biggest issue with the 1000s, is I just don't like the sound. To my ears they sound very hollow with very little bass or treble extension. The mids are decent, but everything still sounds hollow as I've mentioned. This is placement sensitive and I can futz around with them and make them sound decent, but I didn't like doing that, and especially didn't like having to mess around with them while on a run.

My current running headphones are Sennheiser MX-685s, and I love those little earbuds. The sound on them is so much more balanced and full than the Ultrafit 1000s, it's like night and day. They also don't provide isolation, but they sound great, and the slide-to fit mechanism allows you to easily place them where they will sound best in your ears. Once positioned with the slide-to fit, they are locked in place and will stay put for your entire workout.

I recently took up cycling in a big way, and decided to break out the ultra-fit 1000s for riding, mainly because of the fact that they have iphone controls and the sennheisers don't. I've ridden with them on two or three 30 mile rides, and I'm done with them. Main reason again is sound quality, but another annoying thing I have found about them is that they are very noisy in the wind. As soon as I get going even 10 MPH, the wind roaring around the earphones is super noisy in my ears.

I don't know how fast you plan to ride your bike, and I don't recall how much wind noise my Sennheisers transmit, but overall, I'd say the Sennheisers are much better headphones than the Ultrafit 1000s. If you don't need phone controls, they are awesome workout headphones, and I think they would work really well for you. Please let me know if you have any questions about the Ultrafit 1000s, or about the Sennhiesers.

Thanks!
    George
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2013
    ^Peck thats kinda what I was looking to know, I plan on using them on my bike mostly, and would like the iPhone controls to be able to move forward and backward on my music so it appears the Polks might work decent. But I dont want horrible sound but I may just have to jump in and get the 1000s to find out if I can deal with them.

If I go to other brands but assuming i need iPhone controls for forward and backward any suggestions?
  • gdpeck
    gdpeck Posts: 840
    edited June 2013
    ^Peck thats kinda what I was looking to know, I plan on using them on my bike mostly, and would like the iPhone controls to be able to move forward and backward on my music so it appears the Polks might work decent. But I dont want horrible sound but I may just have to jump in and get the 1000s to find out if I can deal with them.

If I go to other brands but assuming i need iPhone controls for forward and backward any suggestions?

Possibly the Senheisser PMX-685i. It is a behind the neck style, but according to Senheisser's web site it works well with bike helmets. I'm considering trying them for riding as I do take my phone with me on rides, so the controls would be nice. I never run with my phone, so never missed the iPhone controls with my MX-685s. Sadly all of the other Senheisser sport models with iPhone controls are designed to isolate, and I really think I don't want that. I was going to offer to send you my 1000s for an extended audition, but then noticed your first post where you said used headphone ick you out.

George
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    edited June 2013
    I have the 1000's for biking and running. For the price, I think their good. Not isolating as mentioned so you can hear traffic. SQ is good and better than similarly or lower priced phones I've tried. Proper positioning on the ear improves sound and bass. I had these over a year. They stay in place and don't fall out during exercising and so far sweat has not destroyed them. For solely outside exercise, I would purchase them again.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics