Polk Amp difference?

Options
Toxis
Toxis Posts: 5,116
edited May 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm researching amps for my second car's system build and I've always wanted Polk amps but never tried them. So I'm looking into them now. Any SQ or power difference between the series? The class D amps seem to be smaller and more powerful but quite a bit more expensive. I love my D Xtant amps in my civic. But am I missing something?
Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
Post edited by Toxis on

Comments

• Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited May 2013
    Options
    To be honest with you PA660/880 amps feel very cheap to me. Haven't used them, could be dead wrong but just going to Best Buy and playing around with them left that "cheap plastic" feeling.

Class D amps - I bought PA4000.4 when they just came out and after lots of tuning back and forth I sold it for a lot less just to get rid of this pos. Sound was very dull and lifeless. My full "review" is on this forum somewhere, look up my posts if you wanna find it. Long story short I will not even consider today's (polk's) class Ds. Maybe as technology evolves it'll give it another shot but for now I'll stick to Class A/B for speakers and D for subs. I'm sure someone will chime in with "there's no difference between new class D and old AB, it's all in your head, people won competitions with full range Ds" but I'm not looking to start this argument, jut stating my own experience with the only full range class D amp I've used - Polk D4000.4

As for PA500.4, 200.4, 250.2... i LOVE these amps. Had just about every one of them at one point or other, still used 500.4 and 1200.1 in my car for about 4-5 years I think and never had a single issue. Awesome full, loud, detailed sound, built tough, no cheap plastic feel, heavy grade yet slick looking. One downside is their size but I'll take that over lifeless music anyday.

I've also used old Polk/Momo Carbon 300.2 amp which was nothing short of a damn beast. Lots more wattage than its rated for, insane brickhouse metal construction. Other amps from Momo series I'm sure are as good, cant go wrong with them unless you are looking for very small in size amps that weight next to nothing.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The 660, 880 and that series arent that great. Id avoid them. Their new D line of amps seem to be pretty good. Im a big fan of class D amps because theyre so much more efficient and best of all, theyre so much smaller. Makes it much easier to install them. So yeah, Id highly recommend going with their D line of amps.

I loved the first PA line of amps. Very powerful but gargantuan! Man those suckers were huge.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D