Need Help: Amplifier and Subwoofer matching

Options
augustine82
augustine82 Posts: 1
edited April 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi,

i am entry level guy in car audio. please help me figure out the right subwoofer and amplifiers for a hatchback car

i have POLK AUDIO DB651 coaxial speakers for the 4 car doors (60W RMS / 180W Peak power - each; 4 ohm)

please let me know how to match subwoofers for the 4 speakers in terms of
- RMS Power (Peak Output power)
- impedence (2 ohm or 4 ohm, because my door speakers are 4 ohms)
- size 8", 10" or 12" diameter
- single voice coil or dual voice coil
- brand/model recommendations

also let me know whether i need to get 5 channel (or 4 channel + monoblock) to power the entire system.
when matching PER CHANNEL amplifier RMS power should it be low or high compared to the individual speakers and subwoofer.
please clarify these doubts for me, with some recommendations ( brand/models).

regards,
Post edited by augustine82 on

Comments

• pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Hi,

i am entry level guy in car audio. please help me figure out the right subwoofer and amplifiers for a hatchback car

i have POLK AUDIO DB651 coaxial speakers for the 4 car doors (60W RMS / 180W Peak power - each; 4 ohm)

please let me know how to match subwoofers for the 4 speakers in terms of
    - RMS Power (Peak Output power)
    - impedence (2 ohm or 4 ohm, because my door speakers are 4 ohms)
    - size 8", 10" or 12" diameter
    - single voice coil or dual voice coil
    - brand/model recommendations

also let me know whether i need to get 5 channel (or 4 channel + monoblock) to power the entire system.
    when matching PER CHANNEL amplifier RMS power should it be low or high compared to the individual speakers and subwoofer.
    please clarify these doubts for me, with some recommendations ( brand/models).

regards,

(1) I would go with a 10 or 12 inch sub, 12 being better. Polk MM, JL W3 or W6, Arc Audio, are just a fiew to consider.
    (2) I would get DVC, so that you can pull more power from the amp. If your amp is 1ohm stable, get DVC with two 2ohm voice coils.
    (3) I would get 50 to 100W per channel on the multi, get 500 to 1000W on the sub.
    (4) A 5 channel would be a simpler install.

I just got the Rockford Fosgate Punch P600x4 which is sounds great, and has clip indicators on both the input and output so you can set the gains without an oscope( You just play the test tone through the HU, and turn up the gain until the blue light turns on). They have a 5 channel that would work but it runs $699. Alpine, JL, Polk all make good amps at good prices too.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50