3.5 headphones $200 and under, recommendations please

seabeerob213
seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
edited January 2013 in Headphones
my girl is getting headphones from her father for her upcoming birthday, and is absolutely hooked on getting a pair of beats, and everything i do to talk her out of it comes down to, oh well i like the beats so much, they sound so good, every i know says sennheisers push on your ears too much, the have to be trendy and stylish for her, and she doesnt like the AKG headphones, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=573586539334247&set=a.223372784355626.74585.214341738592064&type=3&theater, can anyone suggest something that will save her the dissapointment and money and hassle of beats
2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
Post edited by seabeerob213 on

Comments

• seabeerob213
    edited January 2013
    will be used for cd's and mp3s, from and iphone and a dvd player, although im going to replace as much of her music as i can with lossless files
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited January 2013
    In that price range I would look at the Beyerdynamic DT-770's or the AudioTechnica ATH-50s. Both are around that price range and have a similar sound to them but are overall better.

Personally I suggest the DT-770's for comfort from what I have read if she listens for longer periods. I am saving for the 770's myself.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • seabeerob213
    edited January 2013
    also, some ear room is a must as she has a hearing aid in each ear, and at low volumes will need to use it, she is very sensitive to higher frequencies, but at times almost non perceptive of lower ones
  • seabeerob213
    edited January 2013
    she mostly listens to crappy club music, but im steering her away, gave her some nirvana, pearl jam, stp, rob zombie, linkin park, and im fixing her tastes, lol because club music isnt music
  • seabeerob213
    edited January 2013
    In that price range I would look at the Beyerdynamic DT-770's or the AudioTechnica ATH-50s. Both are around that price range and have a similar sound to them but are overall better.

Personally I suggest the DT-770's for comfort from what I have read if she listens for longer periods. I am saving for the 770's myself.
    thanks, im gonna run those by her
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2013
    NP, the DT-770's come in some different ohm ratings, make sure to get the 80 ohms as they are the easiest to drive and will sound the best straight from a phone, ipod, etc
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • seabeerob213
    edited January 2013
    she wont like the look of those, haha, she commented on how ugly similar looking ones were, but those technicas are something she would like
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2013
    she wont like the look of those, haha, she commented on how ugly similar looking ones were, but those technicas are something she would like

Well the Audio Technica's are cheaper than the Beyers, so thats a good thing too :smile:. P.S. the ATH-50s are HIGHLY recommended as a good starter pair of headphones that are better than the beats and wont hurt your head as they dont grip as tight IIRC.
  • Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited January 2013
    I can also recommend the M50's. They are really good starter headphones. Since stylish is a requirement you might try SOL Republic. http://solrepublic.com/shop/tracks-on-ear-headphones.html

They are cheaper than the beats and I think they sound better. If an apple store is close you can demo the HD Tracks there.

I gave the Anthem Tracks a brief listen while I had a couple hour wait at John Wayne Airport. They sounded pretty good for the price point. I was listening to FLAC's with my Cowon MP3 player. Can't remember what EQ setting I was using.

I gave them a listen mainly cause this is what Michael Phelps was listening too last Olympics and I was curious about the sound. I thought the sound was pretty good for the price point. They are on ear phones and might not be for everyone.

If you decide on the M50's give http://www.soundprofessionals.com/ a try, they have pretty decent prices and have specials all the time on the M50's (just do a search for M50)

Hope that helps,
    Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited January 2013
    I have read good things about V-moda. Not very girly but def trendy and, from what I have read, sound better than Beats. I haven't heard them yet but would like to get some on my ears to try.

I didn't like the Sol Republics as the upper end seems to roll off too steeply. The bass was decent though.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited January 2013
    Just got a pair of these last week, along with a couple of pair of the Beyers (990s and 770s) from the FM. The 990's sound the best to me right now, but I'm still evaluating. They aren't bad for $97 though, and may or may not pass the looks test as well.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited January 2013
    the Vmoda M80s are supposed to be really really good especially for the price.

Innerfidelity thinks the Logitech UE 6000 is pretty good for around $200 as well.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • skrol
    edited January 2013
    I listened to a pair of the Logitech and they are very decent. I was very surprised.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, for something trendy and with good sound definitely check out the vmoda m80
  • oleon621
    oleon621 Posts: 178
    edited January 2013
    +1 on the Vmoda m80 or m100's
    Front- RTI A7,(powered by ADCOM GFA 5500)
    Center- CSI5,
    Surrounds- RTI 6 and Rear Surrounds- TS 15.
    TV-Panasonic P55ST50
    SUB-SVS PB10-NSD and PSW505
    Receiver- Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
  • seabeerob213
    edited January 2013
    she hated the look of the v-moda, i told her she needed to clean her glasses, the sols are by far her favorite you guys have reccomended
  • PubFiction
    PubFiction Posts: 105
    edited January 2013
    She seems to have gaudy taste, this is unfortunate because she will pay for it dearly in a couple years when the look of beats is out of style. A good pair of headphones should last you a lifetime, or until you decide to move your budget up.

Humor me and propose the Ultrasone 750 to her, lets see how she reacts to the style.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2013
    Some pretty good suggestions above. So good, in fact, that I decided to pick up a pair of the ATH M50s for office use.

B&H Photo has them on sale for 130 (free shipping). I'd say that's a bargain!

But my daughter would probably prefer the look of the Sols as well. Fortunately, they're not hers. She did borrow a pair of older Sony MDR-V6s I had and had a slight epiphany concerning the ear buds she had been using; Hey, maybe Dad is not so nuts after all! lol

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Gadabout
    edited January 2013
    she hated the look of the v-moda, i told her she needed to clean her glasses, the sols are by far her favorite you guys have reccomended

I didn't listen to the SOL HD tracks . When I was in the shop the guys suggested the Anthems HD as he liked the sound better and said he sold that model more than the HD Tracks. I can't remember anything specific about the highs being toned down, but they are bass centric. The Cowon's EQ settings can help compensate somewhat for deficencies, and I use the EQ all the time and sometimes change the settings on every album. Again, I thought they were OK for the price point but they weren't enough to make me switch from my IEM's.

While I'm sure they aren't stylish enough for your daughter, the M50's are still one of the best bang for the buck headphones I have heard and it's what I use when listening at the house on one of the rigs. Plus, I'm assuming for most of the younger crowd it's about fashion and music, not just music. :\

Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited January 2013
    I have the TDK ST800s and like them:

http://www.amazon.com/TDK-ST800-High-Fidelity-Headphones/dp/B00493QWB0

Not sure how the styling would be for you daughter, but I think they look fantastic. Very old-school, covered in leather, with a fabric-covered cord.

One reviewer compares the sound favorably to the M50s, saying he found it difficult to pick a winner between the two, but giving a nod to the TDK for having larger drivers (50mm vs 45mm) and slightly better bass, which might be important to someone who listens to the kind of sounds your daughter does. The first most-helpful review was written by someone who really knows his headphones and really goes into a lot of detail so you might want to read it.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited January 2013
    AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 or M50 (open back vs. closed back)?
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • skrol
    edited January 2013
    Another very headphone which is trendy, decent sounding and fairly comfortable (though I didn't wear them long) are the, dare I say, Monster DNA. The styling may be more to lady's taste. Sonically, they are pretty good. The bass is not over done and fairly solid at low volumes. At higher volumes ... meeh.
    Stan

Main 2ch:

HT:

Other stuff:
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2013
    M50s arrived today. I must say, pretty good quality construction at this price point, and fairly impressive sound straight out of the box, not even broken in yet and I can tell that these are going to be pretty good. Definitely a "bargain" at the price I paid!

I've seen the Monsters mentioned above but haven't heard them. As for the M50s, detailed highs, clean mids, fast tight bass, decent sound isolation--passive, OK comfort (not overly exaggerated as in many of popular BASS heavy phones). These are "keepers" probably become the daily drivers.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • seabeerob213
    edited January 2013
    thanks guys for all the input, i got her watching this thread now and she wil be browsing your recomendations and chewing my a$$ for anything i may have said which bothers her, i will let you know what she picks, im trying to get her to go for some AKG because they sell them locally and she can demo them
  • Gadabout
    edited January 2013
    Perhaps a trip over to Tyll's place might help: Inner Fidelity

It doesn't have as much information as Head-Fi, but Tyll is pretty consistent in his reviews and does some good testing. he also has great pictures of the items he has tested.

Take a look around but especially take a look at the : Wall of Fame. maybe something on the wall will strike her fancy and then she can read the review to see if they look interesting.

Which AKG's were you looking at?

Scott
  • seabeerob213
    edited January 2013
    they seemed to have a fairly full line, i was in a hurry, but the ones i posted in the first or second post were 40 Euro
  • seabeerob213
    edited January 2013
    thinking i will order some of the technica's in white or the V-moda LP's
  • skrol
    edited January 2013
    I tried to sway my son toward something sensible but ... Then I thought the V-moda's but ... So a pair of Sol Republic Tracks HD are on their way. I'll let you all know what I think after he gets them.
    Stan

Main 2ch:

HT:

Other stuff: