Who is using Benchmark DAC's?

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
edited January 2013 in Going Digital
Whats up guys ,
We just picked up Benchmark and are getting in the line of DAC's , I believe the Dac 2's are coming soon as I'm eager to demo it. I'm excited as they are well respected in the industry. Opinions on them?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited December 2012
    Dan
    I've been running Benchmark DAC's for about 8 years; my current one is the DAC/PRE with the upgraded op-amps. I can find no fault with it. I run everything thru my DAC (BluRay, HDTV box, CDP) then the BM is connected (line level) to my Placette passive for volume control. The better your input sources, the more you will appreciate the accuracy of the Benchmark, it mates beautifully with my Harbeth speakers.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited December 2012
    I used a DAC-1 for a while and thought it was awesome. Great sound quality for the price.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2012
    I'll take the 20 plus extremely positive reviews from professionals in the industry over "MarkK" on a forum anyday. Not to mention my own experience with this piece over the last 8 years.

Stop "reading" and start "trying."
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited December 2012
    I started with a DAC1, then bought a DAC1 Pre, and had no issue with either. However, in a case of upgrade-itis I bought a Bryston BDA-1 DAC. Personally, I like the Bryston a bit better. The Benchmark seems a bit harsh compared to the Bryston. However, if the Bryston ever breaks, the Benchmark will go right in, and I will not be unhappy.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Habanero Monk
    Habanero Monk Posts: 715
    edited December 2012
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I'll take the 20 plus extremely positive reviews from professionals in the industry over "MarkK" on a forum anyday. Not to mention my own experience with this piece over the last 8 years.

Stop "reading" and start "trying."

I thought he was simply talking up the Xonar:question: I didn't realize he's an idiot. He certainly didn't say the Benchmark was junk.

Not going to try something I can't afford. From my read he's not simply some anonymous 'MarkK'. Seems well respected speaker designer. Before I would do the Benchmark I would have to upgrade from my LSi 9's.

I thought the OP just wanted some opinions. Albeit it wasn't mine. Since Mantis strikes me as being in the business I thought him being able to reach out to another professional a plus. Have a Merry Christmas :)
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2012
    I never said he was an idiot.

What makes you think Lsi9's are not worthy of a Benchmark DAC? I've had Lsi9's running on my system, and they were quite impressive w/the BM.
  • Habanero Monk
    edited December 2012
    I already have a solid amp and USB sound card. So after I get my subs built IF I were to spend the $1200-$1400(?) that the Benchmark seems to cost I would think I would have a bigger return on investment in speakers. That would be a while :mrgreen:

Is my understanding incorrect that opinions where being solicited?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited December 2012
    Opinions from users here my friend. I'm sure the OP could google user opinions elsewhere if he hasn't already. Incidently, a sound card isn't going to give you the same results as a quality dac imho. Others may disagree, but everyone I know who has upgraded their sound card, still uses an outboard dac for better SQ.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Habanero Monk
    edited December 2012
    tonyb wrote: »
    Opinions from users here my friend. I'm sure the OP could google user opinions elsewhere if he hasn't already. Incidently, a sound card isn't going to give you the same results as a quality dac imho. Others may disagree, but everyone I know who has upgraded their sound card, still uses an outboard dac for better SQ.

I thought he just asked for "Opinions on them". How would I know if he did/didn't Google. Maybe he should. Jeez. I even use an outboard sound card because of portability and the connections are easy to get to. And the fact this is the way they seem to be going:lol:
  • CCNJ
    CCNJ Posts: 384
    edited December 2012
    I have the Benchmark DAC HDR. It is a great little preamp/dac. Sounds great, very compact, and very versatile. It is hooked up to my TV, sonos and blueray!
    Rig1 - Totem Hawks, Benchmark HDR, Parasound A21, Sonus, Samsung 52 LCD, Audioquest Type4
    Rig2 - LFD LE IV Integrated, Harbeth P3ESR, Rega Dac, MF V-Link, IMAC, Audioquest Type4
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2013
    I had the opportunity to experience a db balanced shoot out that included a Benchmark, Bryston BDA-1, Nekko, and the SimAudio D300. To be fair we were listening them thru Burmester, Sooloos, and $140k Gamut S9 speakers so differences were easy to discern. The Benchmark was the oldest model by 2 years. Of the four the SimAudio won first or second in every category among the three of us. After that afternoon I sold my musical Nekko and searched out the Sim.

The great thing about Benchmark DACs is that they truly are a Swiss Army knife. So many people I know that own Benchmarks use them as a preamp/DAC combo. If buying them used make sure to get the most recent chip series as the sonic improvements are noticeable.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited January 2013
    markmarc wrote: »
    I had the opportunity to experience a db balanced shoot out that included a Benchmark, Bryston BDA-1, Nekko, and the SimAudio D300. To be fair we were listening them thru Burmester, Sooloos, and $140k Gamut S9 speakers so differences were easy to discern. The Benchmark was the oldest model by 2 years. Of the four the SimAudio won first or second in every category among the three of us. After that afternoon I sold my musical Nekko and searched out the Sim.

The great thing about Benchmark DACs is that they truly are a Swiss Army knife. So many people I know that own Benchmarks use them as a preamp/DAC combo. If buying them used make sure to get the most recent chip series as the sonic improvements are noticeable.

Did you use these dacs with USB ?

I am interested in the new benchmarks and the only thing holding me back is the look of them. My wife hates the look of them and she like the ps audio pw dac. I would love to hear a benchmark hooked up to my Martin Logans as they tend to favor a really high quality signal and bring out all the details without sounding harsh so BM might be perfect
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2013
    Did you use these dacs with USB ?

I am interested in the new benchmarks and the only thing holding me back is the look of them. My wife hates the look of them and she like the ps audio pw dac. I would love to hear a benchmark hooked up to my Martin Logans as they tend to favor a really high quality signal and bring out all the details without sounding harsh so BM might be perfect

We stuck with COAX. The look of Benchmark is a love it or hate it deal with audiophiles that I have discussed it with over the past few years.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited January 2013
    I'm gonna shootout the D2 with the SC-68 USB DAC. That should be interesting as I think it sounds better then the Cambridge , Peach Tree and Audioengine.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkfarmboy
    edited January 2013
    When you say D2 are you referring to the Anthem D2 I have?
  • polkfarmboy
    edited January 2013
    mantis wrote: »
    I'm gonna shootout the D2 with the SC-68 USB DAC. That should be interesting as I think it sounds better then the Cambridge , Peach Tree and Audioengine.

Never mind my question Dan I just got done reading your very informative review of the 68 posted and caught that you mentioned the D2 is from benchmark and not Anthem, thanks for posting it for all us to read