Refurbished Home/Audio Receivers worth the trouble? Thoughts?

Options
dizzyrapper18
dizzyrapper18 Posts: 15
edited December 2012 in Electronics
accessories4less.com seems like a great site but i am wondering if it worth it. very good prices and they even offer a 5 year extended warranty after manufacturers (i think). anyone now exactly how it works? factory of 1 year then extended which covers the same stuff for another 5 years? thanks
Post edited by dizzyrapper18 on

Comments

• Monster Jam
    Monster Jam Posts: 919
    edited December 2012
    Options
    "... worth the trouble?"

Interesting choice of words.

I went with a refurb HK oh - about 8 years ago? I ran into all kinds of problems and had to swap out with another refurb, which to this day ALSO has problems, but the kind I can deal with. My next unit will be new, but 8 years ago In didn't really have a choice because of my financial situation.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise? :confused:
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I got my Onkyo PR-SC5508 from them a year ago, it works perfect with never a problem. I know a lot of others on the forum have bought from them and have recomended them to others.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,465
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I, also, purchased any Oinker from them. Refurb unit, one of the small component systems for the wife's kitchen. Heck, to me you can't even tell it's not new. No issues to date, about a year later. I've purchased refurb stuff before, only Oinker equipment, and never had a problem with any of them.

Maybe it depends on the manufacturer doing the refurb?
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • bobsauto49
    bobsauto49 Posts: 973
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I've bought 3 things from them with zero problems! And all items appeared as new when i got them! Never had to deal with CS,as everthing worked as it was supposed to!
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
  • Devlon
    Devlon Posts: 355
    edited December 2012
    Options
    "... worth the trouble?"

I went with a refurb HK oh - about 8 years ago? I ran into all kinds of problems and had to swap out with another refurb, which to this day ALSO has problems, but the kind I can deal with. My next unit will be new, but 8 years ago In didn't really have a choice because of my financial situation.

That is interesting. All my HK's are refurbs. Never had a seconds problem out of any of them.
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
  • Monster Jam
    Monster Jam Posts: 919
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Maybe it was just my occasional streak of bad luck. For example last night I lost 7 solitaire games in a row. I must have been really bored.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise? :confused:
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Absolutely. I've purchased from them a couple of times. My most recent blu ray player, a Denon DBP-1611UD, was flawless and about $230 off list price.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,911
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Maybe it was just my occasional streak of bad luck. For example last night I lost 7 solitaire games in a row. I must have been really bored.

Solitaire ??

In that case, what you need is a woman.:biggrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited December 2012
    Options
    "... worth the trouble?"

FWIW. I used to sell new HK stuff around that time-frame. Even the new stuff had issues. It sounded great while it was working, but it was keeping it working that was the problem. I personally have a like new avr630 that was purchased new, then sent to HK for repairs twice, and still won't work. Just randomly powers off. After that it went back in the box and has been sitting in the garage ever since.

I think in most cases refurbs are a safe investment.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • pdxfj
    pdxfj Posts: 376
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I bought an Onkyo 808 from them about two years ago and have had zero problems. They do offer extended warranties if you're so inclined. Not a whole lot to add two more years to the standard one year warranty.
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Diz, welcome. You ask "worth the trouble", but my experience with factory refurbished units hasn't included any trouble. It's sometimes said that they are even less likely than brand new units to have problems and have a lower return rate. Although I haven't seen statistics on this, my personal experience is such that I'm inclined to agree. The units are more carefully checked out. The Denon and Onkyo receivers at A4L in particular are often excellent buys.
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited December 2012
    Options
  • dizzyrapper18
    edited December 2012
    Options
    thanx for the insight.
    i was highly thinking on the denon 2113ci for 629$ at newegg and that comes with 3 years of warranty. where as the refurb one at A4L is at 400$ with a 1 year factory warranty. i also heard getting the extended warranty is always a good idea but at A4L, they say that the warranty starts right away. so the factory 1 year and the extended 2 year would be working together therefore your only haveing 2 years total. if im reading it wrong let me know. and with the regular warranty from factory you do not have to pay for shitpping (i do not think) but with extended warranties from anywhere like A4L and newegg i found out you have to pay for that. so it might be good to just go brand new and have the real warranty in tact.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,998
    edited December 2012
    Options
    On word: squaretrade. Great warranty, starts after the manufacturer's warranty ends, and they will help you process claims with the manufacturer. I have made two claims with them. I n both cases I had the money in my paypal account within 5 days of the claim. So I would say buy form A4L and purchase a 3 year squaretrade warranty. Done.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • dizzyrapper18
    edited December 2012
    Options
    i see servicepro warranty not squaretrade.
    and what they reinburse you with the shipping you pay? it doesnt say anything about that.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,998
    edited December 2012
    Options
    http://www.squaretrade.com/hometheater-warranty

This link should provide all the info you need.

The ORIGINAL shipping cost is not covered, but they cover shipping to them if needed (in the form of a pre-purchased label they email to you).

Paul
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2012
    Options
    My Onkyo below was a refurb. However it was refurbed by Onkyo itself. Still going strong several years later! Fingers crossed!

Don't have direct experience with A4less.com but they look OK to me! And are "Dealer" certified!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • this_is_vv
    this_is_vv Posts: 24
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Never had any problem with those I got marAntz