Need cheap cans for late night movies

polkfarmboy
polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
edited October 2012 in Headphones
Well I am up late and wanted to watch a flick on the projector but cant do it because the audio is just too loud even at low volume and hate to strain to hear. Are there any cheap headphones I can use under $100 thats would be decent enough when hooked up to an Anthem D2 pre ?

I dont mind buying used to get a better deal and need a nice long cord to lay on the couch
Post edited by polkfarmboy on

Comments

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited October 2012
    Grado SR80i is $100 new. Pretty good set.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited October 2012
    Why not get something good, instead of something cheap? I have never understood that mentality. I'm sure there are good headphones around that are relatively inexpensive.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • polkfarmboy
    edited October 2012
    Well after I build a 2 ch rig then I want a pair of high end cans for music so this is just a temp solution for a problem I am having. If there are some relativley good cheap earphones then ... I am all ears :smile:
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited October 2012
    well if you want closed back i'd look at the Sennheiser HD 280 and if you have Tuesday Morning store around you, they are currently clearing out Koss Tony Bennet Edition headphones.. they were msrpd at 150 and are marked down to $50, pretty much the same as their ProDJ 100 headphones only with Tony Bennett Branding.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited October 2012
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Why not get something good, instead of something cheap? I have never understood that mentality. I'm sure there are good headphones around that are relatively inexpensive.
    I agree completely.
    coolsax wrote: »
    well if you want closed back i'd look at the Sennheiser HD 280 and if you have Tuesday Morning store around you, they are currently clearing out Koss Tony Bennet Edition headphones.. they were msrpd at 150 and are marked down to $50, pretty much the same as their ProDJ 100 headphones only with Tony Bennett Branding.
    Which automatically makes them sound much smoother !!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited October 2012
    LOL so true... but the ProDJ 100 is considered a decent value so at $50 it might work for him..
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2012
    I don't use headphones often but when I do, I don't spend much! "Stay Cheap, my friends"! lol

I don't own a pair over $100. Frankly, headphones irritate me, and I "only" use them for late late night listening as PFB alludes to above.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • shadowlight
    shadowlight Posts: 327
    edited October 2012
    Sorry, no recommendation but you might want to head on over to www.head-fi.org where they have pretty good ratings of all types of head phones. I use Monoprice 8320 for listening to music on the go and work and they are pretty decent for the price. I think I paid around 5 bucks for them.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2012
    Don't know those. But the best over the ear cans at the MONO are the 8323. Which have received good reviews as the best super cheap phones you can get. And I do mean CHEAP:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2

But for the avid can aficionado, such "prices" will never do. You have to spend at least $500+ to satisfy those boys! And then you "also" need a dedicated H-phone amp of $1000-$1500. Better just spend that money on your "rig" (if you're on a limited budget, that is)?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited October 2012
    cnh wrote: »
    :razz:

But for the avid can aficionado, such "prices" will never do. You have to spend at least $500+ to satisfy those boys! And then you "also" need a dedicated H-phone amp of $1000-$1500. Better just spend that money on your "rig" (if you're on a limited budget, that is)?

cnh

Wimp. Do both!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • polkfarmboy
    edited October 2012
    Just for the record I will be buying a pair of hifiman 400 planars in future and I am on a very limited budget. I may just have to buy thosose monoprice ones as shipping wont bother me and will be cheap because I have a list of stuff I need ordered from there anyways
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited October 2012
    Buy em at a local brick and mortar, if you no likey, you have easy return option. Got Best Buy ??
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2012
    You might find that some lightweight wireless phones may be more useful than wired ones.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited October 2012
    wireless headphones seem to be a waste of time. I tried multiple brands(no cheap ones) all of them had dropoffs every time I moved my head.They all went back.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited October 2012
    WOW! :eek: After reading the thread's headline, I thought maybe Club Polk had started allowing Singles Ads! :exclaim:

I was excited for a few seconds there, polkfarmboy, and was going to set you up with my brother-in-law's little sister!! :lol: