Is there a way...

mdaudioguy
mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
edited September 2012 in Going Digital
Is there a way... to take an analog source and convert it to a digital stream?

What I'd like to do:

I'd like to take certain broadcasts from a local radio station that are not available in their internet stream and share them to my various Squeezebox zones in real time. In other words, I want to be able to route the output of my tuner through my local network to my Squeezebox. Any ideas?

I'm thinking this wouldn't be difficult if I had a computer with analog inputs. I could convert to digital and assign the stream a url. Is there a simpler device that will do this?
Post edited by mdaudioguy on

Comments

• helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited September 2012
    Hmmm, not sure if this will do exactly what you want, but the HRT Linestreamer + would allow you to input analog stereo signal into it via RCA interconnects. Then it converts the signals to digital, and output is USB. Like I said, not sure if this would work in your application, but the Linestreamer is a great way to digitize any line level analog source.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • ambiophonics
    ambiophonics Posts: 715
    edited September 2012
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited September 2012
    An ADC (as opposed to a DAC). http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/adc/adc1-usb
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited September 2012
    Search eBay for a RadioShack 15-1242. Exactly what you are looking for, and cheap.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited September 2012
    I'm thinking the Benchmark is a little out of my league and overkill for a guy who just wants to push an AM radio stream around his house! :redface:

Ok, lots of options here to convert an analog signal to a digital one, but that part I think I could have figured out myself. So, perhaps I didn't pose my question right. Let me try again.

So, let's just assume that I now have a digital signal. I was wondering if there was some sort of device that could reside on my home network to which I could point my Squeezebox and access the digitized stream. Perhaps the best solution is a computer. I don't know. What I'm really interested in is how do I broadcast a stream? I'm not looking to stream a file, but a live stream of a converted radio signal. Is there any particular software that does this that anyone has used?
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited September 2012
    You'll need a PC running VLC to stream it to the SB. You can use the analog line input of the soundcard in this case--no need to convert to digital.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • KiTsuNe
    KiTsuNe Posts: 74
    edited September 2012
    What are you trying to stream it over? I stream things over voice chat programs like a radio all the time. The quality isnt bad compared to radio. It's not super quality or anything as stated but you can run RCA > mini into your computer's microphone line or if your computer has a line in. After that you find whatever streaming channel you plan to use and change the input to line in/microphone. Goofing around i stream things over ventrilo and other voice programs. Not sure if this helps at all.
    HT: M5510-Prox2/PN51E550/NR708/M282(3)/RTi A7/CSi A6/FXi A6/DSWPro660x2/PS3/HTPC
    Office: Belkin PF60/PN43E450/Marantz 1501/PSB 400/Image C4/WD Live TV
    2-Channel: Yamaha C4/M4(2)/DQ-10's/DQ-1w(2)/SBT/Pioneer R2Rl/Technics SL-7/AR EB101
    Desk: QSC RMX850/Behringer B2030P