All the Polk SDA upgrades located in one place!

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,964
edited June 2015 in Vintage Speakers
I figured this would help some folks find all the tweaks!

If I missed any, please let me know! Please let me know if there is a better link than the one I used as well!

Thanks!

http://vr3mods.com/LCSDAUpgrade.php
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• VR3
    edited June 2012
    Link was added on how to remove Hot glue 06/14/12
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited June 2012
    Congrats on becoming a STICKY!:cheesygrin:

And thanks for the link... This is a brilliant idea that was long overdue imho.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    edited June 2012
    Yes a great Idea!!

Thanks!!
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    Updated 6/15
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited June 2012
    Posted this in the other thread but I didn't want it to get glossed over. Some info from Matthew Polk regarding the Bass Brace:

Tony –

The “Bass-Brace” was introduced as a recommended modification for the SRS 1.2 and was available free for the asking. The kit was composed of nothing more than a piece of all-thread, ?” I think, with a t-nut for the back of the cabinet and an selection of wall anchors. All late production SRS models came with the t-nut already installed in the back of the cabinet plugged with a bolt to seal the hole. (Note: when the all-thread is screwed into the cabinet it will often wind Dacron around it like cotton candy jamming in place and requiring removal of a driver to free-up.)

The “Bass-Brace” did make a noticeable difference in bass performance. Slam and speed were noticeably improved. If you anchored to a masonry wall the difference was really quite dramatic, more than you’d get from improving your speaker cables and even better than spikes.

However, the real reason for the Bass-Brace was not initially to improve performance. Around that time new industry safety guidelines were issued for loudspeakers which included a “tip test”. The tip test specified that with the speaker placed on an inclined plane at 10 deg. (as best I recall) it would not tip over in any orientation. Needless to say, the SRS products did not pass. That was a real problem and with an inventory of product already in the warehouse we needed a solution. The solution was the Bass-Brace which when installed prevents the speaker from tipping over. But, when trying it out we realized it also made a significant performance improvement. So, it became both a performance modification and a safety feature. However, it was very difficult to install and I doubt many SRS owners ever enjoyed the benefits. Over Amy’s objections I did install mine and anchored them to an 18” thick brick and masonry wall. It was very impressive.

Hope that helps

-msp

Cheers. :cool:
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    Thanks Nap

Updated page for information on common ground amplifiers and Dreadnou
  • vstarkwell
    vstarkwell Posts: 328
    edited June 2012
    VR3 wrote: »
    I figured this would help some folks find all the tweaks!

If I missed any, please let me know! Please let me know if there is a better link than the one I used as well!

Thanks!

http://vr3mods.com/LCSDAUpgrade.html

I have a SDA II owners manual if you're interested in adding it to your link?
    Monitor 7C's With Tubes
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    Sure!

Can you email it to me?

Vr3Mods@GMail.com

thanks!
  • vstarkwell
    vstarkwell Posts: 328
    edited June 2012
    Sure!

Can you email it to me?

Vr3Mods@GMail.com

thanks!

Sorry I missed this earlier, email has been sent.
    Monitor 7C's With Tubes
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    Added SDA 2 manual!

Thanks!
  • JMSSDA2B88
    JMSSDA2B88 Posts: 13
    edited June 2012
    When I bought my SDA 2B Studios back in 1988, the salesman gave me a pamphlet that detailed how the salespeople were supposed to demonstrate the SDA's. A lot of it was positioning of the speakers and is covered under the owner's manual. It also included 3 pages of songs to demonstrate the abilities of the SDA's. The guy said they normally didn't give out this pamphlet. I'll send it to you tonight/tomorrow and you can look it over and see if you want to post it under other information.
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    Fixed some broken links, all links now point to an external source

Added sales brochure/general setup information
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    Added link to 40 page pdf to help ID vintage Polk models
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Updated 7/20 to include crossover design and progressive point source info

Thanks!
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited August 2012
    You know I see all these SDA ads and reviews selling on Ebay for like $10
    I wish we had a place to put every old ad and review in one place.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    find them and I will add it!
  • PolkieMan
    edited August 2012
    I will go digging
    find them and I will add it!
  • PolkieMan
    edited August 2012
    Scan_Pic00020.jpg

Scan_Pic00030.jpg

I can do a better scan but the larger file size will not post
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    I will go digging
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Updated 8/29/12

Refined the organization, added a few more links, updated some info

Thanks
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Added Link on how to convert a SDA1 to a SDA 1A
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited August 2012
    Trey, can you add the "bass brace" mod that Raife did for his 1.2TL's and/or SRS's please? I didn't see it on your page, and others may like to read up on how Raife did it. Thanks Trey.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    I actually searched for this when I first did the page... no such luck finding the link...

Do you by chance have it?

Thanks
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2012
    I actually searched for this when I first did the page... no such luck finding the link...

Do you by chance have it?

Thanks

Trey, look at post 32 here: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?123136-SDA-Driver-Seals-Original-Foam-vs.-Mortite-vs.-Armaflex-Foam&p=1640225&viewfull=1#post1640225
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    ADDED and done :-D

Thanks
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2012
    ADDED and done :-D

Thanks

No problem! That site is a great reference I am glad to help get built so when my SDA time comes, bam no work to find all this crap, just head to your site and start printing :biggrin:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Yup yup....

I try to keep an eye on new stuff and obviously as I do mods I learn more and More, like the 1A information...

Fun stuff either way :)
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited August 2012
    Wow, you guys are too quick! Anyway, thanks Ender and VR3.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2012
    headrott wrote: »
    Wow, you guys are too quick! Anyway, thanks Ender and VR3.

Its what happens when you have insomnia, you stare at the computer most of the night :biggrin:....

That and I love you guys enough to google search and track it down :wink:
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Jimmy Johns fast... FREAKY
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    Added the SDA Handbook by Ray!