Best Squeezebox remote and more

mdaudioguy
mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
edited August 2012 in Going Digital
Refurbished Kindle Fire. Currently $159, but they've run them as low as $139.

Voided the warranty within minutes of opening the box. :wink: :cheesygrin:
Rooted, running ICS, Squeeze Commander, Yamaha AV app, DirecTV controller app...
Post edited by mdaudioguy on

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    edited August 2012
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Done the same thing with a Nook Color.
    My wife has one of those, but she just runs it stock. I'm sure the experience would be similar, though. Lots of good small tablets out there that make for nice, large, touchscreen remotes. :cool:
  • doctorcilantro
    doctorcilantro Posts: 2,028
    edited August 2012
    iPad using JRemote, once you set up SB as J. River Zone.
    For Sale 2019:
    Tortuga Audio LDR passive preamp
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2012
    We use an iPad running iPeng and it's our favorite method of controlling the SB, we prefer it over the standard SB app which I don't like.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2012
    I really don't understand how you could want anything more than what iPeng gives you. Saturday I will be having a party on my deck for 75 people. I will have my outdoor speakers that are on one side of my deck playing my Squeezebox Classic through my whole-house system. For the other side of the deck to hear those speakers, I'd need to crank them pretty loud. Instead, I'll have my two Squeezebox Radios, battery powered, sat in different areas of the deck, along with my Squeezebox Boom plugged into an outdoor outlet. This way, I can keep the volume down on each device enough so that I have nice background music without interfering with people trying to have a conversation. From my iPhone, from my deck, I'll be able to sync the four devices together, and control the playlist from outside. I've had parties like this before, and basically blow people's minds. Combine that with the fact that iPeng can also turn the iPhone into a Squeezebox player, and an open port on your router allows you to do that anywhere you have cell phone signal, is about as great a Squeezebox remote as I could even dream up. So I have my iPhone plugged into my car stereo, and can stream my 3000+ cd's worth of flacs to my car from anywhere.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited August 2012
    wow I just use the SB remote you get from Logitech.. i didn't know I peng had that streaming capability.. maybe be something i'll have to check out...
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    Even without the streaming capability, iPeng is really good. But when it becomes a Squeezebox in your car, it is awesome.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited August 2012
    Can I get my Kindle Fire to control my Squeeze Duet?

I was reading about slideme.org...then download SAM...then download squeeze commander.

Will this work?

Thanks,
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited August 2012
    nspindel wrote: »
    Combine that with the fact that iPeng can also turn the iPhone into a Squeezebox player, and an open port on your router allows you to do that anywhere you have cell phone signal, is about as great a Squeezebox remote as I could even dream up. So I have my iPhone plugged into my car stereo, and can stream my 3000+ cd's worth of flacs to my car from anywhere.

Wow i did not know this! Cool.Gotta try it!!
    Thanks Neil
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited August 2012
    Never mind. Figured it out.

I feel silly for not having tried to figure this out before.

This is awesome. Much easier to use compared to the duet 'stick'.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mdaudioguy
    edited August 2012
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    This is awesome. Much easier to use compared to the duet 'stick'.
    Yep, makes that thing obsolete!
  • mdaudioguy
    edited August 2012
    I really don't understand how you could want anything more than what iPeng gives you. Saturday I will be having a party on my deck for 75 people. I will have my outdoor speakers that are on one side of my deck playing my Squeezebox Classic through my whole-house system. For the other side of the deck to hear those speakers, I'd need to crank them pretty loud. Instead, I'll have my two Squeezebox Radios, battery powered, sat in different areas of the deck, along with my Squeezebox Boom plugged into an outdoor outlet. This way, I can keep the volume down on each device enough so that I have nice background music without interfering with people trying to have a conversation. From my iPhone, from my deck, I'll be able to sync the four devices together, and control the playlist from outside. I've had parties like this before, and basically blow people's minds. Combine that with the fact that iPeng can also turn the iPhone into a Squeezebox player, and an open port on your router allows you to do that anywhere you have cell phone signal, is about as great a Squeezebox remote as I could even dream up. So I have my iPhone plugged into my car stereo, and can stream my 3000+ cd's worth of flacs to my car from anywhere.
    Yeah, I've even used my old iPhone as a player for a zone in my bedroom - 1/8" to RCA from headphone jack to my bedroom mini-system. Not a real hifi setup, but it's functional and sounds all right nonetheless!
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    edited August 2012
    Combine that with the fact that iPeng can also turn the iPhone into a Squeezebox player, and an open port on your router allows you to do that anywhere you have cell phone signal, is about as great a Squeezebox remote as I could even dream up. So I have my iPhone plugged into my car stereo, and can stream my 3000+ cd's worth of flacs to my car from anywhere.

I have iPeng on my iPhone and iPad. This sounds great. Could someone provide or direct me to detailed instructions. Thanx
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• nspindel
    edited August 2012
    There is an in-app purchase that allows you to use iPeng as a player, it costs a few bucks more. Do the purchase on one of the devices, and then you can activate it on the second, you don't need to purchase it twice.