Burson DA-160 or W4S DAC

blehmbo
blehmbo Posts: 179
edited August 2012 in Going Digital
I have had my eyes on the Burson DA-160 and the W4S DAC1. At the moment I do not have a need for balanced outputs and asynch USB implementation is not a priority. I have read reviews on the Burson HA-160D and saw that most preferred the W4S DAC2 (I understand the DAC1 and 2 sound very similar) for it's greater detail, but I haven't been able to find many comparisons with the DA-160. Has anyone has any experience with them? The associated gear would be a Pass Labs B1, Rotel RMB1075, and LSi9s.
Post edited by blehmbo on

Comments

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2012
    I say go for a W4S DAC-2. That has nothing to do with the fact that I'm selling one :twisted:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?135118-Wyred4Sound-W4S-DAC-2
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited August 2012
    The Burson is going to be more organic, warm, analog sounding. If you think that matches well with the rest of your gear, then give it a shot. I know some are doing 30 day free trials on the Burson.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2012
    tonyb wrote: »
    The Burson is going to be more organic, warm, analog sounding. If you think that matches well with the rest of your gear, then give it a shot. I know some are doing 30 day free trials on the Burson.
    I've heard the two back to back in the same rig and do not agree. They sound very similar, with the Wyred sounding more dynamic and authoritative.

And unless you're using the USB connection, the DAC-1 and DAC-2 sound identical(IMO). If there's the possibility that you will be hooking the DAC up to a computer, go for the DAC-2.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • shadowlight
    shadowlight Posts: 327
    edited August 2012
    Face wrote: »
    I've heard the two back to back in the same rig and do not agree. They sound very similar, with the Wyred sounding more dynamic and authoritative.

And unless you're using the USB connection, the DAC-1 and DAC-2 sound identical(IMO). If there's the possibility that you will be hooking the DAC up to a computer, go for the DAC-2.

I have been eyeing the burson and the dac2 for awhile thinking about using it as both a dac and pre. Just need to come of with the cash :mad:. Have not heard either but dac2 having the remote tips it for me as preamp use.
  • blehmbo
    blehmbo Posts: 179
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the input. I ended up going with nspindel's W4S DAC2. I figured the bit of extra coin for the DAC2 will be worth the peace of mind knowing that I have one of the best reviewed DAC's in the price range. This will be my first stand-alone DAC and I hope the change will be more dramatic than subtle vs my Yamaha AVR and old Sony CDP.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2012
    Enjoy!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2012
    He will!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.