DACs and Head amps $600 or less

coolsax
coolsax Posts: 1,824
edited August 2012 in Headphones
Hey guys, I could probably put this in the digital section but since it concerns my head rig, here I am.
I'm tired of the mess of cables i have for my Head fi rig. b/c the usb ports on my laptop don't provide enough bus power to my HRT MSII, I have to put a self-powered USB hub in the chain and the extra cables that entails makes it a pain in @ss with where i keep the rig.

I want to simplify my rig. I've got a couple of options i'm considering but i'm not sure which route I want to go. I could ask this question on Headfi.org, but there might be too much info running around on that site. I don't want to spend more than $600 total on either a DAC/Amp combo or DAC and Head amp separates and the less the better, but the DAC must have usb input with 24/96 as I like to listen to hi-res on occaision but don't have a ton of it yet.

the following is what i'm considering.
keeping the Fiio E9

-changing out the HRT for a Fiio E17 and docking it into the Fiio E9, its an all in one solution with one usb connection to the dac/amp combo and will drive my HD 650s however it is not Async and the dac may not be quite as good as the HRT (by far the cheapest solution)

-getting a separate selfpowered DAC and connecting it to the E9 - not an all in one solution but eliminates the dangling USB HUB issue. (i worry about getting an DAC that will completely outclass the amp)

scrapping the entire thing

- getting a new amp and self-powered Dac separates ( ie a DACit, Music Hall DAC15.2, MF VDac, Cambridge Dacmagic 100, Arcam Rdac with a separate Head amp, ie a schiit, vcan, or Creek type amp) still some cables but again eliminates the dangling USB hub

- getting a brand new (to me) DAC/amp combo ( lots of options CA DACmagic plus, TEAC dacamp combo, Audioquest Dragonfly(not sure if i would have same bus power issue with this one though), Music Hall DAC 25.3, Nuforce Dac/amps, alphas design, Yulong etc)

I've heard great things about the CE Dac Mini and the Burson DAC/amp but i really don't want to spend the amount it would cost to get into those two.

anyway just any thoughts if anyone has tried any specific combos.
thanks!
Main 2ch -
BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
Post edited by coolsax on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2012
    Well after much of the same, I dropped ~300 on a used Audio GD NFB-5. They have a BUNCH of DAC & headphone amp combos in your price range and I read a LOT of good things about them.

There is a Schitt Asgard on head-fi right now for 190 shipped, there are 2 Audio GD Compass USB DAC & Headphone amps on head-fi (one for 200 shipped). Audio GD has a bunch of stuff on their website that new is well within your price range and will drive just about ALL the headphones you want.

Keces also made a USB DAC & Headphone combo but their low model Keces 152 started at 450. Dont know a lot about it personally.

Here are some threads of mine that are quite parallel

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?134761-gt-200-dollar-headphone-amp
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?135083-USB-amp-headphone-amp-combo-(primarily-Audio-GD-models)
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/621203/200-dollar-headphone-amp#post_8621513
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/622588/usb-dac-and-seperate-headphone-amp-or-combo-usb-dac-headphone-amp#post_8610643
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • coolsax
    edited August 2012
    yeah i've heard a little about the Audio GD stuff on headfi, but really haven't had much of a chance to check them out.. will have to research them a bit.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+

TV 3.1 system -
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited August 2012
    You missed the Austin head fi meet, but there should be a fall mini meet back up here in Dallas.
    There may also be another meet in Houston or San Antone. There is a forum heading
    over at Head fi for meets and gatherings.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • coolsax
    edited August 2012
    yeah i've seen that before.... havent' checked it in awhile though at some point i would like to make it to one.
    Main 2ch -

TV 3.1 system -
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited August 2012
    Benchmark DAC1 base model. Headphone amp built in, stellar DAC with many different inputs/outputs. Find a used one for about $500. 2 headphone output jacks as well.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited August 2012
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Benchmark DAC1 base model. Headphone amp built in, stellar DAC with many different inputs/outputs. Find a used one for about $500. 2 headphone output jacks as well.

I use a Benchmark DAC1 at work and really like it. It is a very uncolored sound which is not for everybody.

Even with a USB to S/PDIF converter such as the V-Link, you would still be under $600.
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2012
    steveinaz wrote: »

Good call Steve, I totally forgot about the DAC1. I always think of their HDR since its got the remote :smile:. If I had the extra cash I woulda probably popped on one myself. They also make GREAT pre-amps as well so your set for 2 channel nirvana that can travel :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2012
    It's the swiss army knife of audio components.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2012
    Hey Steve: Does the DAC1 do USB? I see a bunch for in his price range but they all have optical and no USB.
  • nwohlford
    edited August 2012
    The regular DAC1 does not do USB. It would be cheaper to use the regular DAC1 plus V-link than the DAC1 USB model.
  • nwohlford
    edited August 2012
    There are a few additional upgrades in the USB model. Here is a list of the differences by model: http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac/dac1-comparison-chart
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2012
    ^ Yep.

I've used my BM as a preamp, as line level DAC, and now it acts as my "hub" for all of my sources. Though I'm not a big headphone fan, I have listened thru the headphone outputs and was quite impressed. I have some (lowly) Grado SR60 headphones, so nothing mind blowing for sure.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited August 2012
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • coolsax
    edited August 2012
    ^^that's a nice option and i've heard good things about PS audio, however yesterday I went ahead and purchased a audioquest Dragonfly and i'm going to give that a run for a couple weeks to see how i like it since they had it at my local bestbuy that had a magnolia store... so far, I'm really impressed. It drives my HD 650's quite easily and i'm not getting any static like i did with the HRT MSII. I am going to give a couple weeks though before i make a final decision, but quite happy in just the first hour i've tried it. I think if i don't end up keeping the dragonfly I might go ahead and try the new Grant Fidelity Tubedac-11 that affordable audio reviewed recently.
    Main 2ch -

TV 3.1 system -
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited August 2012
    Deleted already been said.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.