What goes on here?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 13
edited July 2012 in Going Digital
This corner of the forum will be about the gear, software and knowledge to get the best performance from our digital libraries. Topics might include CD listening, DACs (digital to analog converters), FLACs (the Free Lossless Audio Codec), what's worth listening to on HD Tracks and Archive.org, Burr Brown chip sets, best digital coax cables, best optical cables, bit depth and sample rates.

Let's see who gives a bit!
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2012
    Options
    This is awesome! I can't wait to argue about why I keep my library FLAC but transcode to lower bit rate on my mobile devices to save space.

also google music.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 13
    edited July 2012
    Options
    LOL, Google Music is a sweet treat. I keep nearly 20,000 songs in their cloud for free and most are 320kps mp3s! The quality isn't 100%, but the convenience is.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    edited July 2012
    Options
    And I look forward to pointing out frequently and often the superior sound quality of vinyl over those inferior quality digital pretenders.:razz:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited July 2012
    Options
    And I look forward to pointing out frequently and often the superior sound quality of vinyl over those inferior quality digital pretenders.:razz:

Both frequently and often, huh? You're going to be busy!:razz:

jk Thanks Jon_S and team for creating this section. I will certainly spend time here, as my primary 2-channel rig is all digital, and probably 99% computer-based.:biggrin:
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited July 2012
    Options
    so is this gonna be a forum category - or a sticky thread???

i like the idea of a corner of the forum being dedicated to all things digital.... and the comparative merits there-of.
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited July 2012
    Options
    wayne3burk wrote: »
    so is this gonna be a forum category - or a sticky thread???

It's a forum, not a sticky.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited July 2012
    Options
    i see it now - when i asked i either didn't see it or i blatantly overlooked it.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?44-Going-Digital

but i do see it now :)

thanks
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited July 2012
    Options

You mean all that snap, crackle and pop or the diminished resolution every time that needle removes a bit more of the groove?

Get a top notch CD/SACD player and forget the rest.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Jesse,

But vinyl is so much more fun! (says the guy with 2 TB of digital music) :cheesygrin:
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Thanks Jon, this is long over due.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited July 2012
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Thanks Jon, this is long over due.

True, but it needs to be in the Advanced Technical section with two channel, and electronics.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.