Polk Audio LSi9 Crossover Modification Thread

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,970
edited October 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I searched for a previous LSi9 mod thread that I had started (which I thought I had) to no avail... feel free to merge!

I am really enjoying working on the LSi9!

Two different folks under the gun right now, one sent me his actual speakers so I will be applying foam to inside the enclosure among a few other things...

Should be fun!
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• VR3
    edited June 2012
    One last picture for the night! Everything is mechanically wired, just gotta solder it all together!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    Unfortunately the only thing I have to cut these would be like a table saw so I usually cut them by hand... :(

Always improving though! More tools in time!

Thanks for the advice, I try to add tools and parts as time goes on! I sink it all in!
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    Just gotta wire it all together! :)
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    Crossovers are done!

Time to apply some foam!!
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    One speaker, foam applied, crossovers installed, ZAINO polished, ready to rock!
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    I think my camera is on its way out.. if I could take a picture of itself you would understand lol
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited June 2012
    VR3 wrote: »
    Crossovers are done!

Time to apply some foam!!

VR,
    Very Nicely Done ! What are the caps you are using ? How much do a pair of these go for if I may ask ? :cool:
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    Thanks man!

I am using Clairty Cap SA (red), PX (blue) for the tweeter network and PX again for the midbass. Mundorf resistors

The "Castle Level" mods are not that expensive - roughly $165.00 per speaker with shipping + paypal fees
  • slider2828
    slider2828 Posts: 118
    edited June 2012
    Great Job as always Trey! Looking good!...

I still haven't done anything to my centers or surrounds.... Just doing some 2 channel listening (loving it of course) and just built a ebay DAC with some Burr Brown DAC chips and changed some op amps.

Really learned a lot from doing the speakers though!
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    Thanks man!

I am glad to hear you enjoying them! I have contemplated messing around with some electronics kits but just do not have the time!
  • D_M
    D_M Posts: 175
    edited June 2012
    I don't have enough post to PM you. Have you or anyone else on the forum compared various levels of crossover modifications? I'm wondering if a $500 parts list produces noticeable improvements versus a $350?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited June 2012
    D_M wrote: »
    I don't have enough post to PM you. Have you or anyone else on the forum compared various levels of crossover modifications? I'm wondering if a $500 parts list produces noticeable improvements versus a $350?

Not head to head that I am aware of. There are normally just two standard versions of parts lists folks go with I believe and most just figure if your gonna upgrade it do it once and do it right and spend the extra on the best parts. I will let Trey weigh in on what those 2 standard parts lists are :smile:.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    The Clarity Cap MR is leaps and bounds over anything I have tried... combine that with the Duelund resistors and it literally will sound like there is nothing between the drivers...

Unfortunately that would require extensive modifications, external crossovers, the works... but the difference is huge, but the price tag would be tremendous. The ESA series is quite a bit nicer than the SA series too but it is about double the price...

Personally for me the 400-500 dollar range (tops) is the most you should invest into the LSi9 - that is about half of the original value of the LSi9...

To me a reasonable amount to invest into a set of speakers is 1/3 to 1/2 of its original value to improve them as you can actually increase the performance double to triple the stock performance with quality parts. That is no exaggeration.

My "standard" parts recommendation is a mix of the PX, SA and ESA
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited June 2012
    Trey,
    why the use of the bennic bypassed with a better cap? I've just thought in the past most were really against a bypass of any configuration because of the nasties that tend to come with. Is it more a size consideration (bennic) than just using a poly cap in that place?
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    The Bennic is a 250 uf - it generally accepted to use a bypass in that function.

Bypass caps are almost as controversial as cables - there are ALOT of folks, namely Danny Ritchie that believe in Bypass caps. At the end, Sonicap actually designs their entire line around bypass caps...

I personally think with a high enough quality cap it can be a negative but I have bypassed the PX series with the ESA series and lots of folks love the results.

Here is a picture of the first LSi9 I did a while back for Lou where we replaced that 260 uf with Clarity Cap PX for size comparisons... you definitely would have to go external replacing them...
    ext2.jpg 118.9K
  • D_M
    edited June 2012
    VR3,

Thanks for the response. Sorry to muddy the thread, but I believe others might be curious as well. What would be your top level recommendation for in chasis mods for the entire series? I'm mainly intrested in the 15s, LSi, and LSi7s. I'm sure there are curious LSiFX and 25 owners too.
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    To be quite honest, for an "in chasis" modification you are looking at it. You *MIGHT* be able to exchange the SA series with the ESA but that is it...

Anything else would require remote mounting (tower models) or external...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited June 2012
    D_M wrote: »
    VR3,

Thanks for the response. Sorry to muddy the thread, but I believe others might be curious as well. What would be your top level recommendation for in chasis mods for the entire series? I'm mainly intrested in the 15s, LSi, and LSi7s. I'm sure there are curious LSiFX and 25 owners too.

well one quick and easy mod for the LSi 15 is to replace the stock 8" sub with a Polk car sub model # db840 (the SVC one though). I have done this mod and its easy, cheapish and made a difference.

The problem with the 15's is that I believe you actually have 2 boards in it and its a PITA to do really unless the person doing the xover mod has the actual speaker with them and the 15's are cost prohibitive to ship, and many have broken bases even when they ARE shipped.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • D_M
    edited June 2012
    well one quick and easy mod for the LSi 15 is to replace the stock 8" sub with a Polk car sub model # db840 (the SVC one though). I have done this mod and its easy, cheapish and made a difference.

The problem with the 15's is that I believe you actually have 2 boards in it and its a PITA to do really unless the person doing the xover mod has the actual speaker with them and the 15's are cost prohibitive to ship, and many have broken bases even when they ARE shipped.

Thanks for the additional info Shadow. I recall Face and Doro mentioning the PITA factor with doing the 15s. I would deliver and pick my speakers up.
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    I have had the LSi15 crossovers here -

I could easily perform a Fortress or Castle Level modification on them and they would be extremely easy to reinstall...

No problemo
  • slider2828
    edited June 2012
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    There is definitely a point where a bypass cap is no longer needed and is definitely a downgrade.

I recommend bypass caps for the PX series but I would never bypass the SA, ESA or MR series - just would not make sense
  • slider2828
    edited June 2012
    What do you think about the vishay's for bypass? I've heard great things about them....
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    I think you are diving more into the electronics side of this hobby... I checked out their site and it looks like they offer more stuff suited for that unless I did not see it??
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2012
    slider2828 wrote: »
    What do you think about the vishay's for bypass? I've heard great things about them....
    Don't do it.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • slider2828
    edited June 2012
    Yeah pretty much only for bypass.....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited June 2012
    VR3 wrote: »
    Thanks man!

I am using Clairty Cap SA (red), PX (blue) for the tweeter network and PX again for the midbass. Mundorf resistors

The "Castle Level" mods are not that expensive - roughly $165.00 per speaker with shipping + paypal fees

I am putting together a little two channel system for my new kitchen + addition using LSi 7's. I may be interested in upgrading them (the 7's) at some point. Have you done x-overs for the LSi7 ? They should be fairly similar, if so what would br the price on those ? :cool:
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2012
    LSi7 crossovers are simple to upgrade. You can do everything on the OEM binding post cup, no need for additional boards.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited June 2012
    Face wrote: »
    Don't do it.

+1000

Just use high quality caps to begin with.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    edited June 2012
    I can upgrade the 7s... you can email me Vr3Mods@gmail.com to go further on those!

I would probably still stack them and do point to point wiring - why not right? :)