The Recipe Thread

1235»

Comments

• gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited December 2010
    I just made this Saturday for the first time !! I cut the salt in half and it was still a tad salty. This stuff is good !TRY IT :wink:

The Original Loose Meat Sandwich

1 lb. ground chuck, beef round or sirloin
    1 T lard or Crisco (if meat is round or sirloin)
    2 tsp. salt, just enough to lightly cover bottom of your skillet
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 T prepared yellow mustard
    1 T vinegar
    1 T sugar
    water, to cover
    salt and pepper, to taste
    your favourite hamburger toppings

If you have a cast iron skillet, get it out. Cast iron works the best for these sandwiches. If not, just use any skillet.

Melt fat (if using) over medium heat and lightly salt bottom of skillet.

Break up ground beef in skillet and start crumbling it with the back of a wooden spoon. This is very important. The meat must end up being cooked up into small crumbles.

Add chopped onion while browning meat.

Keep working with the back of the spoon to break up meat. When meat is browned, drain off any fat and return meat to skillet. Add mustard, vinegar, sugar and just enough water to barely cover meat in the pan.

Cook, at a simmer, until water is all cooked out - between 15 and 20 minutes (mine took 20 minutes exactly).

Adjust salt and pepper to taste, if necessary. (For me it was salty enough, I just added a bit of pepper).

Heat your hamburger buns. They are traditionally steamed for loose meats, but toasted is good too (I toasted mine).

When buns are steamed/toasted, put yellow mustard on them and add some dill pickle slices. Pile meat mixture on top and enjoy!!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited February 2011
    Well, it's Sunday and I'm back to cookin' in the ol' kitchen again. Beef Stroganoff, slow cooked over the course of 8 hours, served over a bed of hot noodles and freshly baked bread on the side with homemade honey butter spread. While this cooks, I'll be making some homemade Chocolate Chip cookies for dessert. Here's the recipe for the Stroganoff if anybody is interested....

Beef Stroganoff

3 pounds Beef Tips
    1 large Onion, thinly sliced
    Homemade Cream of Onion soup *separate recipe below
    2 cans Golden Mushroom soup
    1 pound canned Mushrooms
    1 tblsp ground Pepper
    2 - 8oz. packages of Cream Cheese
    1 pound of Sour Cream
    Egg Noodles

Homemade Cream of Onion Soup

5 tblsp Butter
    1 medium Onion, thinly sliced
    1 tblsp Flour
    1/2 tblsp Salt
    4 cups of any combination of the following for Cream mixture;
    Milk, Heavy Cream and/or Chicken Stock
    4 Egg yolks, beaten
    Add to taste.....Nutmeg, Paprika and Worcestershire Sauce

Add all of the ingredients except the homemade Cream of Onion soup, Cream Cheese and Sour Cream into the slow cooker. Set heat to high and cover. Now start on the Cream of Onion Soup.

Add the Butter to a large saute' pan along with the Onions. Saute' until a light, golden brown. Add the Flour and Salt, stir until blended. Add Cream mixture and continue to simmer, covered, until onions are soft. Add a little bit of the hot Cream mixture to the 4 Egg yolks and combine thoroughly. Add the rest of the seasoning to taste and then the Egg mixture. When Soup is well mixed and hot, add to the Crock Pot.

After 8 hours, add the Sour Cream and Cream Cheese. Stir thoroughly. Salt and Pepper to taste and serve over the hot noodles. Enjoy. Come 6:00 tonight? I know I will be doing just that.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • gdb
    edited March 2011
    I really miss the Kenny Rodger's chicken place that closed down long ago, and have been trying to duplicate their roast chicken ever since. This recipe comes DAMN CLOSE.:wink:

Sticky Roast Chicken:

Ingredients
    4 teaspoons salt 2 teaspoons paprika 1 teaspoon onion powder 1 teaspoon dried thyme 1 teaspoon white pepper 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 2 onions(quartered)2 (4 pound) whole chickens
    Directions
    In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken cavity, and pat dry with paper towel. Rub each chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place 1 onion (quartered) into the cavity of each chicken. Place chickens in a resealable bag or double wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 to 6 hours.
    Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
    Place chickens in a roasting pan. Bake uncovered for 5 hours, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Let the chickens stand for 10 minutes before carving.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited June 2012
    HOORAAY for BBQ season!

Here's something useful!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6ge2053SQ24&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited June 2012
    Quick, cheap and easy. And the Grandkids love it.

2 boxes of Kraft ''Velveeta shells & cheeze. ( cooked per intructions )
    2 lbs ground beef ( browned and drained )
    And because Vidalia onions are in season.
    1 fine chopped onion browned in butter.
    Stir it all together and enjoy.

Yaeh i know its not healthy, but all the fat groups are represented. Thats the joy of being a Grandfather.
  • gdb
    edited October 2012
    Marinated Flank Steak that'll make you slap yore mama !:mrgreen:

3 oz. Kikkoman Teriyaki sauce/marinade

2-3 large cloves of garlic (through a press)

1-1.5 oz. dry Sherry

2 tablespoons lt. or dk. brown sugar (packed firmly)

Dash of blk. pepper

Mix til sugar is dissolved

Add approx 1/3 cup of oil (olive if avail.)

Marinate a flank steak in this mix 1/2 - 4 hours according to taste.

I go old school with a charcoal fired Weber to a medium-rare , it's also pretty good on a gas grille, or even, oven broiled.

Steamed brocolli & baked potato w/sour cream go well with this steak.:wink:
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited October 2012
    I am trying out a super simple recipe today. One that a friend raves about and others seem to agree. And now to copy and paste!

If you like a) chicken and b) Old Bay make this recipe and look like a genius!
    1. Get a whole roaster chicken.
    2. Pull all the yucky stuff out and toss. Rinse well. Don't bother to pat it dry...just put it in the crockpot.
    3.Sprinkle 4 Tablespoons of Old Bay on top. Do NOT add any water/broth.
    4.Slow cook 7-8 hours, or on high 4-5.
    5.Enjoy rave reviews.

I will report back on how this turns out.
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • rromeo923
    edited October 2012
    Well it turned out better than I expected. A real treat was the gravy you can make from the crockpot chicken juice., "Old Bay Gravy"! Made some Mashed Potatoes, Seasoned Green Beans and some Focaccia bread on the side! Delicious! Super simple and the meat just falls off the bone. My wife rated this a 5 star family friendly dinner for taste, ease of cooking and ease of clean up!
    I got static in my head
  • gdb
    edited October 2012
    Did the slow cooker take away some of the hot red pepper taste of the Old Bay?
  • rromeo923
    edited October 2012
    The Old Bay was very much diluted. I actually would probably put more Old Bay in next time, but I really like Old Bay.
    I got static in my head
  • gdb
    edited October 2012
    I heap it on steamed shrimp and put quite a bit in my crabcake recipe , now, I'll have to see what it does to crockpot chicken!:cheesygrin:
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited March 2014
    I Love To Cook

Great thread I should add to it. hhhmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe a Rhode Island recipe
  • treitz3
    edited March 2014
    NJPOLKER wrote: »
    I Love To Cook

Great thread I should add to it. hhhmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe a Rhode Island recipe
    Please do. This is a great thread to those that love to cook! In fact, I'm cooking enchilada's right now....from scratch. Yum, yum. If there was a great thread to keep alive on this forum, this is definitely one of them.

BTW, the Beef stroganoff recipe above bites compared to the new one I have. No lie, it's Kmart compared to....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited March 2014
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Please do. This is a great thread to those that love to cook! In fact, I'm cooking enchilada's right now....from scratch. Yum, yum. If there was a great thread to keep alive on this forum, this is definitely one of them.

BTW, the Beef stroganoff recipe above bites compared to the new one I have. No lie, it's Kmart compared to....

Tom

I'm always looking for a good enchilada recipe - so you'll have to share!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • treitz3
    edited March 2014
    We'll see. Been through about ten of them. No dice so far. Of course, I can heat them up to where they all taste the same but that's not the point. I want an enchilada recipe that's stellar to this pallet without the heat. Texture, smoothness and taste all in one with authentic upbringing. So far, no dice. We shall see. Then we'll work on the heat.

When I nail it, I'll post the recipe. No telling what tonight will bring to the pallet.

Tom
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited March 2014
    Chilled Pasta Salad.

* 1 box of multi-colored rigatoni pasta
    * 1 four pak of bell peppers (2 green, 1 yellow, 1 red)
    * 1 cucumber
    * 1 red onion
    * 1 package crumbled feta cheese
    * 1 carrot
    * 1 package of tiny cherry tomatoes
    * dressing of virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar

* boil the paste - al dente
    * dice the red onion
    * chop the bell pepper into 1/4 x 1/4 bits
    * peel and slice the cucumber, then slice into 1/4" wheels and then quarter
    * peel the carrot then use a grater to create wafer thin slices

* mix pasta, cherry tomatoes, and vegetables in a large bowl

* add the crumbled feta

* mix the olive oil and balsamic in a cup - frothing it with a fork
    * pour over the pasta & vegetables
    * blend everything together with a large spoon

* slice up some dry salami and add that on top

* cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours

* serve with your favorite main dish

great for left overs the next day!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited March 2014
    I like this guys web site and tried the recipe a couple times and both times it was very good. The key in my opinion is to use a prime piece of meat which should have more marbling and should be a little more tender than a choice cut. However a choice cut is not always a bad or lesser option. An eye round is a very affordable piece of meat and can be a wise choice when feeding a lot of people.

Its critical to keep an eye on the internal temperature using a thermometer which you can view without opening the oven door.

I have cooked a few pork tenderloins the same way and were delightful.

Check out the other recipes on the Domestic Man, some good stuff!!

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?61009-The-Recipe-Thread&p=2026362#post2026362

Enjoy
  • treitz3
    Hahaha...never did nail a good enchilada recipe. Oh well.

Tom's Kickin' Cornbread recipe -

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Put 1/2 cup oil into a cast iron skillet (8 or 10" skillet will do). Preheat on top of stove med-low or until it starts lightly smoking

Mix 1 1/2 cup Buttermilk cornmeal mix with 2 eggs as best you can in large metal or oven safe bowl

Add approx 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup buttermilk until the mixture is still somewhat thick and gooey

Add extremely HOT water until the texture resembles that of pancake batter (little bit at a time - up to 3/4 cup)

Add the hot, preheated oil from the skillet and stir it in well. It will sizzle

Sprinkle a little bit of cornmeal mix on the bottom of the skillet and pour in mixture...it should sizzle when it hits the pan

Bake until brown and crispy on the edges

- Feel free to add a touch of honey and jalapeno or whatever else you normally add to your cornbread....just don't let that additions overtake the immense corn flavor of the recipe. Enjoy.

Tom

• Can't share mine...Great grandma's recipe book stays closed >:)
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • treitz3
    edited February 2018
    Tom's Braised Root Vegetables with Secret Sauce

3 tablespoons Olive oil
    1 Shallot, minced or about a ½ medium onion
    1 cup Chicken broth
    1 cup Apple cider
    2 Bay leaves
    1 teaspoon Thyme
    1 ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon pepper
    3/4 lb. carrots
    3/4 lb. parsnips
    1 – 2 turnip root(s)
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon parsley

Cut all vegetables to about ¼” slices, 45 degree the angle of the cuts on the parsnip and carrots. Put olive oil and shallots (or onion) in Dutch oven** over high heat. Constantly stir until softened and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
    Add broth, cider, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes still on high heat and with lid still off. Add vegetable mixture, cover and drop heat to medium, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender (or to preference), about 15-20 minutes.
    Remove pot from heat. Remove bay leaves. Add mustard, sprinkle dish with parsley, stir and serve.

**Or large heavy pan with tight fitting lid

Tom
  • treitz3
    Tom’s Soul Food Green Beans

Ingredients –
    2 cans green beans
    1 can Campbell’s Golden Mushroom Soup
    ¼ - ½ cup Minced dried onions (or sautéed onion if you have the time)

1-2 tsp Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (or more if you like spices)
    Tsp cornstarch
    1 cup Chicken broth

Very simple side dish with flavor that exceeds any expectation. Add all ingredients into a 10” cast iron pan (or equivalent) and heat up on low/med low until it reaches desired consistency. About 30 minutes. Enjoy!

Tom
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I have a recipe for buttered toast and a glass of Tang, but it is too complicated to type it all out.