Video Projector - Questions

Options
dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,576
edited April 2004 in Electronics
I have a good friend, a co-worker, that is planning on geting started with his HT. He would like to get into the projector genre, in lieu of a television.

I don't know enough about this subject to advise him very much, so I throw this question to the "Projector Gang".

I do not know what screen size he wants, other than probably large as possible.

The price limit is $1500, and used gear is cool. I figure this would be his best shot, used I mean. While I respect comments for >1500 options and opinions....this is not an option for him.

He does not care whether it is DLP, LCD or old school. I figure the original or LCD type would be the only gear he could get into at that price anyhow....is that correct?

I would also like some information to relay, for the DIY screens. Rick is someone who likes to DIY, so he would get a kick out of that project.

Thanks for any and all guidance you may have on this subject.
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2004
    Options
    prety soon infocus will have a 4805 and it will street around 1600 it is a 16x9 dlp with good ins and good res.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Click here for a DIY screen website.
    Hard to go wrong with the Infocus at that price. If he's looking at HD resolution he's going to have to bump up the budget. The Panny AE500 can be had for less that $2k.

Have him check out the "Projectors Under $3000" forum at WWW.AVSForum.com
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but a used CRT should put any LCD or DLP to shame, and can be had for under $1500. If he can put up with a huge 200 pound box in his theater, and doesn't mind used equip., I think that is the best way to go as far as PQ is concerned (include contrast, brightness, resolution, etc., etc.)
  • Frank Z
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Ceruleance,
    It will depend on the resolution. A CRT pj that is only capable of displaying a standard def. image is going to be outclassed by a DLP or LCD projector that can display an HD image. I recently had the oppurtunity to look at a Barco CRT that an aquaitance had set up in his HT. Thge picture quality was terrible compared to my HS20. He went on and on about how great the picture was, I just nodded politely. Kinda funny really, he installs HT systems for a living.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited April 2004
    Options
    haha that sucks about the CRT being not so great. Still I think in general you are going to find a better value in used CRT's than you will with the newer technologies. Of course resolution matters, I forgot to add that whatever projector they choose it should be capable of full-HD. Standard-Def looks pretty shoddy on the big screen, plus eventually all stations will upgrade to HD someday..

The problem is the full HD panny and sanyo are both just above the $1500 price point.

I am personally waiting for full HD projectors to come down to below $1500 before I invest in one, so if your friend can't afford it now I would advise him to wait, either for more money, or for prices to come down
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Thanks very much for the replies so far, it is all appreciated.

The InFocus brand is what I mentioned to him previously, so that's cool.

FRank - Thanks for the DIY screen link, I will pass that on to Rick.

I think he is in fact interested in good resolution, so if a budget upgrade is a modest upgrade, I am sure the facts won't scare him.

He mentioned to me today, that he doesn't mind an upgrade in the future, but doesn't need state of the art either. I think, key word "I", he needs something with a great picture, period, and <2K shipped, in house, blah blah would be the ticket. I really think it is pointless to jump in "cheap" and then be conflicted with the results.

If that InFocus drops in at that price, I am gonna go no-brainer on that choice. Do they have a good rep?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Frank Z
    edited April 2004
    Options
    They sure do,matter of fact they are the OEM for a number of re-badged pj's. Tosiba and Dream Vision to name a few.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I don't see many, if any, of the HD projectors dropping below $1,500. You'll always have the lower rez PJ hanging in and around 1k so the HD PJ will most likely remain in and around $1,500-$2000.

Just be aware of the largest down falls with any type of PJ.

CRT, you have large, heavy PJs and constant tweaking to keep dialed in.

DLP, if you do not have a fast color wheel (4x or better), rainbows a plenty.

LCD, screendoor and a little less in the deep blacks, but this can be delt with easier then the two previous types.

I bought in at $1,100 with my Panny LCD knowing that in 2 years I'll upgrade to a HD model when HD-DVD hits. Right now I don't do HD so there's no need for an HD PJ. But, I wanted the BIG picture so the $1,100 over two years was worth it rather then sticking with my 46" Mits for that length of time.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • mikejz84
    mikejz84 Posts: 158
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I went from a DLP projector to a Older CRT Projector and it the improvement was BIG! The image is much better! My CRT projector only cost about $700 and does HDTV without problem (Sony 1271q) It looks great!. Okay it takes some time to setup and you need to tweek it now and then, but it is a cost/benefit thing. Amazing picture for the money:D