anyone heard/used the new ppi subs?

Options
PoweredByDodge
PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
... been looking at the precision power DCX 124 sub

see link --> dcx124

as my replacements for the idmaxes... i can pick them up for $400 for a pair of the 12" dual 4 ohm coil.

any thoughts ????
The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
Post edited by PoweredByDodge on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Im really not happy with PPI lately. Ever since DEI bought them out they have messed up their amps. The new PPI specs are pretty lame compared to the old PPI amps. In fact its hard to even tell they are still PPI. I dont know much about the subs but I didnt like their speakers that much back before DEI bought them out so I cant imagine them being that good.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    Options
    200 each seems like a steal to me
    i havent heard them and havent heard anything about the newer ones
    but ive always been a fan of their old subs
    built pretty well
    but like mac said, i dunno how they are now that DEI bought em out
    id go with it, but why not just pay 150 for the pair of maxes?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    Options
    cody - aggravation... kind of liek the last straw on the camel's back... there is no reason i should have two major problems with a subwoofer model in less than a year... that's just wrong. so, maybe i'm an odd case, but lets just say i've lost a bit of enthusiam in the product.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    i get ya, kinda like me and fosgate...lol
    sounds like a good deal though, id jump on it
    whats the retail on one of those subs?
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    Options
    $439 each
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    thats a pretty good deal then
    i saw on another post u were thinkin about the 2124s
    why not just get mm12s and run them off the mtx?
    with the boxes theyre like 180 at sounddomain, im not sure what they are without...
    just an idea
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    Options
    i ended up going with some audiobahns -- two for $250 at circuit city... regular $169 ea.

550 rms and they seem to hold up to that...

they're a very "natural sounding" woofer, not to over-use the word, and they seem to have potential.

they're no idmaxes, but they're not bad... i'm running the two off one 81000d... the other 81000d is goin in storeage for use in the swamper truck when its done.

i'm not hittin any high db scores with this setup but it sounds good, and that's good enough for now.

reason i went with them is i talked to thom and he said i'd basically have to cut down the size of hte box if i went w/ mm124's... so the audiobahn is happy with 1.5 sealed... they're in like 1.35 ea... so that's good enough.. break em in, see how they do, if they suck, i have 30 days to ditch them back at circuit city.

we'll see how it goes.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    PLEASE tell me theyre not the ones with the flames...
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by exalted512
    PLEASE tell me theyre not the ones with the flames...
    -Cody

they're the flame Q's. but i mounted them normal so the flames dont show...

they're ok sounding, nothin spectacular... god i miss my idmaxes.

i hate being f***** poor.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    i feel for you...
    from ID Max to flames...i feel for you...
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    Options
    i changed the setup -- went with one 81000d on EACH flame Q so that it runs @ 4 ohms, about 800 rms to each sub, damping factor is now >400 instead of >200, and the subs sound good... slam pretty well... i'm happy... for now.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    are they handling the power well?
    -Cody
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Vin-Man... Audiobahn? How can I ever comfortably come to you for advice again?:) Oh that's right, I will always come to you for advice cuz you know more about car audio than anyone in the history of time... or at least since like 1997. Glad they sound good, actually I've always thought they sounded nice but have been shied away from them cuz of the quality control problems everyone says they have.
    "The Big C"
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Theyre just a little too "hip-hop" for me and I am anti-anything hip-hop! Thats why I turned away from RF, when they were all over the Too Fast, Too Furious movie I just couldnt stomach that.

And now my beloved JL Audio is always the equipment of choice on Funk Master Flex's show whenever he puts a system in for Ludacris or Eminem. "Yeah those are the W7s, ya heard?" :rolleyes:

I just always associate it with these 2 little 18 yr old, suburban white boys with their pants down to almost their knees that came into the high end shop in Texas that carries Focal, Lunar, MB Quart and the likes and "we were wanting to look at some 18's" to go in the little Civic they rolled up in with those stupid little 10" wheels that stuck out a foot past the fender. The guy asked them some routine questions like what kind of components do you have? What kind of amp are you going to run? They both looked like theyd been hit in the forehead with a tack hammer. "Uhhhhhh, do you have 20's?"
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    Options
    haha... i know those kind of people, i'm surrounded by them every day. then again, i kinda have to defend the hiphop thing. i'm not exactly a fan, but it's art, and one has to have some respect for it. IMHO.

and what's wrong with 2F2F? ricer galore, but sweet cars nevertheless (then again, the cars and the women were the only reasons to see the movie, so this is one thing you don't have to respect as art...)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited April 2004
    Options
    ..... i think my world just came crashing down around my head... pbd bought audiobahn... i'm going to go crawl into a little cave to await the apocalypse...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    and what's wrong with 2F2F? ricer galore, but sweet cars nevertheless (then again, the cars and the women were the only reasons to see the movie, so this is one thing you don't have to respect as art...)

I just hate rice rockets even more than I hate hip-hop (well most anyway, some rap is funny). I admit I didnt see 2F2F but I did see the first and at least they did give props (a little hip-hop lingo there) to the REAL muscle cars at the end with Diesel even admitting hes scared to death to drive that thing. I cant remember what it was tho, a Charger maybe.

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited April 2004
    Options
    !st audiobahn...next ya know...he will have some road gear stuff in there.... its a sad sad day :)
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    it was a charger...somewhat...it looked like it had some parts from other cars as well but im not exactly sure
    2f2f incorporates a lot more domestic cars in it
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited April 2004
    Options
    next thing ya know, vinnie's gonna be runnin his audiobahn subw with sony xplod hu and amps... you're a sick sick **** vinnie...

just playin with ya man, i know what it's like to be strapped for cash, i on the other hand won't settle and am just gradually saving for the best... well i'm gonna go order that US Amps TU-600 now... can't wait to get that bad boy hooked up :D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    well, since this has turned into the "bash vince" post...
    your mom is so fat....j/k
    -Cody