For ATC...NEC Ext. CDROM Review

Options
I-SIG
I-SIG Posts: 2,238
edited April 2004 in Electronics
Well, I managed to scrounge up one of those NEC external CD-ROM's that Sean has sung the praises of in previous posts.

Although Sean said the model number was 601, it is actually model number CDR-602. It is a Multispin 6x SCSI CD-ROM. Luckily, it operates in audio mode with no drivers or anything. The unit itself was quite a bit bigger than I had expected, probably close to 16" long. Otherwise it is about what would be expected of an external CD-ROM. The little CD Caddy system is different. It is a try-type thing you put the CD in and close the lid on, then slide into the unit. This a no-frills unit as far as control sare concerned. It has "play/paude," "stop/loop," track advance/back, eject, and a volume control. It also has a headphone jack on the front. (that I haven't used yet) On the back it has two SCSI ports, audio digital and analog outputs, and an IEC 3-prong power connection. Right now, I have one of those 14AWG shielded Volex power cords in it.

It functions like any most other CD players out there, other than the little CD Caddy. One nice feature I like is that I can advance to a desired track and then press play, rather than it automatically playing if I advance tracks like many CDP's.

Sound-wise, it is a definite improvement over the Onk DVDchanger. I lost some detail and smoothness when I had to get rid of one of the AQ IC's, but I got it all back and then some with NEC CD-ROM. I can't wait to upgrade my cables to the Diamondbacks and get a DAC mated to this CD-ROM. Last night, I listened to Pearl Jam's "Yield" album, something I have listened to dozens of times. I heard many detals that I had never noticed before, even when I wasn't listening to that particular instrument or whatever. The guitars seemed to have a more "from-the-amp" sound than usual and the soundstaging of the drums was the best I've been able to decipher. Bass extension overall, seems improved, but I have also added the 14AWG shielded cables recently as well. The highs are noticeably smoother and have more clarity.

All in all, I'd say if you can get one off e-Bay, go for it wholehog. I paid $36.55 shipped for a 100% sure improvement in sound. Be sure and ask the seller if it has the CD Caddy and the audio outputs. Apparently some of these units are SCSI-only, no digital or analog audio outpus.

I can't wait to add DAC and anti-jitter units to this CD-player!

Wes
Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
Post edited by I-SIG on

Comments

• I-SIG
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Thanks again for the recommandation, Sean.

I'm trying to decide on what DAC I should try. I know an AA DDE v3.0 would be a sure bet, but I'm really tempted to track down a Channel Islands current vintage DAC as well for not too much more cash.

I just bought an AA DTI v2.0 from AudioGon with a Kimber D60 digital cable. That should be here by the end of the week, hopefully. I know I need the DAC before I can make use of this equipment.

I know with cables I can get those right here and now from Audio Advisor so we'll see what I decide...

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Great review. I've been meaning to do one of my NEC 601 that I bought from Sean, but have been trying to get my other house on the market. Will do it very soon.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • I-SIG
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Thanks, Mark. Just trying to do what I can. I'll be interested to see what you have to say about the subject.

Wes