Adcom GFA-535 II Sees Life Once Again!

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,053
edited April 2004 in Electronics
I opened up the completely blown up 535 II today, protection circuit on and everything...

both channels had a blown fuse on each board, replaced both fuses and we have life again! WOO HOO!

Now...

It goes to EBay, as its not mine. Hmm...darn. But it works.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Well that's good news that they were just easily replaced fuses. Did you check to see if they were the "slow blow" type?

Also, what do you think caused you to blow the fuses to begin with? did you short out the speaker wires or somthing? Good to be able to know what happened to prevent future mishaps.
  • VR3
    edited April 2004
    Options
    My Dad blew the right channel on it about 10 or so years ago with a power surge. So the left channel has worked all this time, and has been used as a center channel amp.

The left channel - I dunno, that happened when I was plugging up the subwoofer. Same with the 545, I turned the amps on and had two fried channels basically.

But the 545 II channel, didnt turn out so easy as the 535 II. I found no blown fuses. I might have to look again though. I am using the 545 II's good channel for surround duty though, as the surrounds are mono.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by pjdami
    Did you check to see if they were the "slow blow" type?
    Hopefully replaced with whatever was in there... they clearly did their job.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I always like to go bigger Tour... ya if it say 2 then put a 4 in:D Nothing like excess and I love fireworks in the living room:eek:

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited April 2004
    Options
    LOL,

Loved that, Great :)

Originally posted by HBombToo
    I always like to go bigger Tour... ya if it say 2 then put a 4 in:D Nothing like excess and I love fireworks in the living room:eek:

HBomb

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• VR3
    edited April 2004
    Options
    We tested out both channels, and they went through....'The Test', and passed 'The Test'.

Let me just put it this way, they didnt fail with my Dad behind the controls, therefore probally wont fail for anyone else.

That is good enough for me. The fuses we put in were 3A, and the Adcom fuses are 4A. I believe??
  • disneyjoe7
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Hell go for 10A then it may never blow again. ;)

Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    We tested out both channels, and they went through....'The Test', and passed 'The Test'.

Let me just put it this way, they didnt fail with my Dad behind the controls, therefore probally wont fail for anyone else.

That is good enough for me. The fuses we put in were 3A, and the Adcom fuses are 4A. I believe??

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• VR3
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I'm not catching it?

I know as much about Fuses as I do TV's, thats squat
  • disneyjoe7
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I hear a penny does the trick too.

But really replace fuse with the right fuse only. Also check for voltage rating of fuse. Look at the old fuse the end caps look for the amp rating also any voltage stated on the fuse end.

Looking at the fuse can give you the idea if it was a fast or slow blow. A fussy pix could help. But a straight wire is fast blow where as a fuse with a core in it is must likely a slow blow. Must times the back of amp may have to info you're looking for.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• VR3
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Adcom Fuse is: 4A, 220V (something round that) - and has a swurvy looking wire inside of it...

Fuse Replacement: 3A 220V (something round that) - and has a swurvy looking wire inside of it....
  • HBombToo
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by disneyjoe7
    I hear a penny does the trick too.

Hell, 12 awg zip cord works GREAT!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • disneyjoe7
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Again, LOL :)

Originally posted by HBombToo
    Hell, 12 awg zip cord works GREAT!

HBomb

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• VR3
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I feel so dumb...

Im not understanding any of the jokes :(
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2004
    Options
    From olden day, Sid... Revel in your youth and be glad you don't understand...

Once upon a time there were fuse boxes. If they ran out of fuses, or blew too many times, people would use pennies. No more blown fuses, but also no protection against burnin' down the house...

Same principle for wire in a cylindrical fuse...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I say ditch the fuses, and use chicken wings...that way you can grab a snack after the song.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    edited April 2004
    Options
    A fuse is a protection link within a circuit. Just think of it as the weakest link, which breaks the circuit first instead of blowing somthing in the amp. A circuit breaker is the same thing, which will trip when somthing is shorted or the amperage is too high. Always use the same amp rating or smaller, but NEVER use a higher rated fuse. It sounds like you have slow a blow fuse. Always power down all audio equipment when hooking/unhooking speakers or anything else.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Slo blo fuses can sometimes create noise. If it originally had a slo blo fuse I would recommend going with the chicken wings.

If you ever get into tube amps you will find out what fuses are really for. They play and play and play and some day when you aren't even pushing them the fuse blows. You replace it and the same happens again months later. ??? Almost like a feature or something. Don't quite understand it but I have a whole lot of fuses laying around...

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • HBombToo
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    They play and play and play and some day when you aren't even pushing them the fuse blows. You replace it and the same happens again months later. ??? madmax

we used to call them Tube Gremlins:D

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***