Logitech Media Server

dragon1952
dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
edited January 2012 in 2 Channel Audio
I've got 2 Touches running with Logitech Media Server 7.7.1. The problem is, not all of my music is showing up in the Logitech Media Server. I've rescanned several times to no avail. I'm not exactly sure how many CD's are not showing up but it's around 10-20 out of 300 or so. Any idea why a certain CD would not show up? When I browse to the HD they are all there. I burned them all the exact same way with EAC.
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
Post edited by dragon1952 on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited January 2012
    Did you try "clear and rescan entire library"?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dragon1952
    edited January 2012
    I'm running the server on a PC with an external USB drive connected containing the music files. I have cleared and rescanned a few times.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited January 2012
    try a reburn with wmp
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2012
    Usually when I have a CD disappear it's because MediaMonkey downloaded the wrong info from the web and I didn't catch it and it's there but not named what I am expecting.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • dragon1952
    edited January 2012
    OK....I figured out what's going on. For some reason the server is listing certain CD's under "Various Artists". All of them happen to be Greatest Hits or compilation CD's. Some do have various artists, so that's cool, but a few don't such as Tom Petty, Jefferson Airplane, Tears for Fears, Joe Walsh (although some are Joe Walsh and some are James Gang so maybe that's why on this one). I have other Greatest Hits/Compilations that are listed under 'Artist' though so not sure what's going on with those few.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2012
    On compilation CD's you really have to pay attention to the auto-tagging from web info.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited January 2012
    ^The ps3 does this same thing from my hard drive. In my case it's all related to how iTunes tagged it upon upload/download.
  • kjwaage
    kjwaage Posts: 4
    edited June 2017
    You can use a program such as mp3tag to change any of those tags, such as artist. Be sure to rescan the library after changing tags. It's very useful.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Resurrection!!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited June 2017
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Resurrection!!!

Ahhh, just 5 years.... we bring em back from deader than that!
  • dragon1952
    Ahhh....my legacy lives on even though I haven't been on here much in the past few years :^ )
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    PSA muchachos: I just got notification of an LMS update to version 7.9.2. I downloaded and updated on my Windows PC. Need to check the SBT for updates as well.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • dragon1952
    I thought they weren't supporting that anymore.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Not Logitech officially, but the community is still very active, and they've been building some great functionality, updates, and fixes as they develop. There's even support for Tidal and Qobuz, and also Soundcloud and Bandcamp if you're into them.

I like LMS for its "proxy" capability - stream multiple Squeeze devices, but only LMS goes out to the web for the service request. Then LMS passes the stream out to each Squeeze over your local network. The main benefit to this is in keeping the device streams synced and preventing buffering dropouts.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    Does LMS allow u to integrate tidal or Qobuz with your personal library like Roon and Plex?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    anonymouse wrote: »
    It allows you to integrate TIDAL for sure. I use it to stream my personal collection and Pandora

I mean can when i pull up an artist does it show both tidal and library albums? Can I make a playlist with songs from both my library and tidal? That’s what you can do with Roon and plex and that is what I mean by integrate, not that you can simply play tidal through LMS (which you have long been able to do).
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • jdjohn
    I think there is a distinction to be made between the LMS firmware on the device itself vs running LMS on a networked server where music files reside.

Running Pandora (don't know about Tidal) can be done without having LMS installed on a local PC/Mac. The SBT can connect via wi-fi or ethernet to a router, and run Pandora just fine by itself.

Of course accessing networked files requires LMS on the server. Also, since Logitech dropped Spotify support, LMS on a computer is required to run the third-party app called 'Spotty'.

@msg Scott, am I getting this right?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • msg
    edited January 2020
    Hey Jody and guys,
    I saw this post the other day and started to write back that I thought you could create integrated playlists, but wanted to test it first. I was pretty sure that I'd done it before, but not 100% positive. I just now created a playlist from different sources and services - local .flac stored on the same computer LMS is running on, Spotify, and Qobuz. The tracks switch and play seamlessly, so, yes, it's possible. It's just like switching services manually. I think you could even put in a streaming radio station if you wanted, but it might play endlessly. I'm curious now to know what would happen if you put in multiple streaming internet stations or services, and then FFWD'd while one was playing. Be cool if it switched to the next station.

I use the Orange Squeeze app on Android, and that's where I browsed, built, and saved the playlist. (I think iPeng for iOS lets you do this, too, but I haven't had a lot of time on iPeng yet) The playlists are stored in LMS, not on the mobile device.

I'm pretty sure you should be able to build the playlists through a web browser connected to your local LMS. You can access the playlists through the browser. I use both the web browser and Orange Squeeze to control LMS and the Squeezeboxes.

If you're going to use a Squeezebox these days, I'd say yeah, go ahead and install LMS on your computer and use that as your base for the Squeezebox or any other players to pull from. It extends functionality beyond what was available with the Squeezebox alone.

Jody, yeah, that's correct - to use Spotify you need the Spotty app, which I think is only available as the plugin through LMS. It's an easy install, too.

I'll say to anyone with a Squeezebox that this might sound really confusing, but it's not too bad to get up and running.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    Thanks for the Squeezebox insights, Scott B)

With the 'Enhanced Digital Output' applet installed, running an SBT via coax into a quality DAC (as a player/streamer) sounds pretty darn good IMO. I use the SD card as well to store a few favorite FLAC files, and the USB port on the back is for larger storage (flash drive, or USB-powered external HDD/SSD)...don't even need a server.

It has a remote, and perhaps most importantly, I have found the SBT has a HUGE WAF, so there's that :) These devices were truly made before their time, and for the record, let me say that either Logitech, or Spotify, dropped the ball when they parted ways.

I'm not sure who to blame there, but luckily the development community has enough supporters of legacy Logitech products (and music) to keep the dream alive with third-party software that is proven and safe. Scott also mentioned the Orange Squeeze Android app, which is another product from the development community.
  • msg
    Couldn't agree more, Jody - definitely a product before its time. And yes, an aesthetically pleasing form as well, even by current standards.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dragon1952
    My wife loved ours strictly for the clock feature :^ /