think this'll work??

Options
PoweredByDodge
PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
do you guys think this will be ok in a standard cab truck???

i dicked around with it as best as i could, and the only way to FIT these damn subs in my truck without doing some major reconstruction to the interior (which is out of hte question - i learned my lesson last time), would be to build a roughly 8 inch tall box that stretches the length of the cabin behind the seat... then mount the subs inverted and "upward firing"... see the picture.

do you think this will sound allright? normally standard cabs sound best when the subs are firing at the back of the bench seat, but that's not an option here...

if it's gonna sound like **** i'll just try and buy some new subs (wait till i have the money to), but if i can get away with it, i'd like to do this...

throw some opinions at me people...
The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
Post edited by PoweredByDodge on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Don't see why it wouldn't. It would look pretty snazzy too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    Options
    That would look pretty cool. It would show off those beautiful speakers. I imagine it would sound just fine. In a small cab, I'm sure that the sound will reflect everywhere anyways.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Incidentally, would it help if you angled the top to the front or the back, so there aren't standing waves causing destructive interference?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    Options
    ive seen a couple of set ups like that...i forsee no problems...thought of downfiring them?????
    id probably do that if i could...that way you can put any extra **** you have on top of your box(not audio...just random ****...including your jack...etc)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    Options
    cody - the whole reason for inverting them and upfiring them is so that the box can only be about 7 or 8 inches high -- this will allow for my rear speakers on the rear cab side walls to be able to be heard from both sides of the car and not blocked off -- if i downfired the subs, this would result in me needed to build a box at LEAST 13 - 15 inches high, probably more, which would block my rears.

austin - i'm going to have to poly fill the boxes anyway -- i'm figuring on a 1.2 - 1.3 cubic foot per sub setup, which is about 0.2 or so cubic feet short of what they need... so i'm gonna have to stuff them pretty well anyway... and even most times i look at standing waves in the same way that i look at "snake oil" and "affirmative wires" and "flux capacitors"...

everybody -- the hard part is going to be building an amp rack and something to house the cd changer and sirius tuner... 4 amps, 1 tuner, 1 changer.. this is gonna be a friggin bizzatch. and i gotta do it al lwithout blocking off the rear speakers... yikes.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    confused....how are they going to be inverted firing up?
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    Options
    the **** of the sub is sticking out of the box but you can still hear it. i think it was just a redundant phrase. like 'atm machine'.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Inverted mounting * and * have them firing up? Thats what I think.

By the way, the design looks good :D If you could fit downfiring, thats what I reccomend. Even though I have no real standing here, I built a downfiring box for my 10" and it pounds the hell out of my 92 sierra extended cab (not to mention it sounds awesome) plus I can be lazy and throw anything back there and not worry about **** anything up. We're all messy and lazy and something is bound to happen. With that design, you couldn't do that :( But on the other hand, it'll sure look good!
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    and even most times i look at standing waves in the same way that i look at "snake oil" and "affirmative wires" and "flux capacitors"...
    Now wait just one second here...flux capacitors compared to snake oil!? If it weren't for flux capacitors, Marty McFly and the doctor would still be in just plain ol' normalsville. The DeLorean just doesn't work without the flux capacitors! An entire trilogy of Back to the Future movies could never have happened without flux capacitors. Biff would still be a bully, and Marty's dad would be forever doomed to be a nerd! Snake oil...hah! :D

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    Options
    heh heh heh -- god i love those movies!!!!!!

part III was kind of weak, but it was one of those things where u had to see it and make yourself enjoy it anyways because parts I and II were just too cool :)

and guys, yes, i mean inverted mounting as in "**** of sub sticking out" and firing upward as in "subs are pointed upward toward the roof of the truck instead of pointed downward toward the floor (or backward or forward for that matter)".

far as throwing **** around... were i not mounting 4 amps and two other "thingy's" and three caps on top of that box, then ya, i'd say the ability to throw shitbehind me would be a good thing... however i'm kinda pretty screwed here... there is like zero room in this thing, so i'm gonna have to be a clean guy .... which is a stretch for me... i mean... look at me.... do i look clean? me thinx not.

hopefully this setup will win me some ladies, some very asthetically pleasing, morally lax ladies. [read as "hot **** women"]

now all i need is some bling bling rims, and some shiney mud flaps.
  • mbdyer12
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Haha, go you! Being clean sucks. Theres nothing fun about it. But yeah, you should get some "hot girls" in that beast. Got any other designs in mind? What are the dimensions of the space you're building the box for? Depth of the subs? I'm just curious here :p
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • Jstas
    edited April 2004
    Options
    "standing waves" in a vehicle are not as much of a concern because of the irregularity in the shapes of teh surfaces of teh interior walls. There are no symetrical joints to reflect waves in a manner that would cause standing waves.

Inside the sub enclosure it is possible. Standing waves inside the sub enclosure can cause uneven pressure on the speaker cone. That can cause cone distortion/deflection which can be very audible and totally undesireable.

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    i see firing up as the magnet down, cone up...firing upward
    now i can see you doing that but the way you had your box drawn it had the magnet up
    correct?
    i want a new truck damn it
    $4k for lift, tires, wheels, any other crap
    heh...
    6" BDS suspension lift on 35x12.50s
    its going to be bad ****
    2 10" adire brahmas on a USAmps 3000
    (3000 watts rms...ill be joining vince in the world of the deaf)
    not sure about the components yet...but theyll be powered by USAmps as well
    new alternator, 2nd battery...and ill be good to go
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    Options
    well available dimensions are as follows... about 60 inches wide behind the seat... about 13 inches from the back wall to the backs of the front seats (this is limited by the center console, else it'd be al ittle bit more, but i'm almost glad, because i dont want to be molesting the steering wheel, ya know?)... then i've got about 8 or so inches in height before i start to block off the rear speakers... 8 1/2 tops.

figure in thickness of wood and all that **** -- gonna use 3/4" birch ply.

the subs are about 9 inches deep, and fred said to give them at least 2 inches from the back of the magnet to the back of the box... hence my desire to go with the inverted (basket out of the box) mount. if i downfired them, i'd need at least 4 inches from the face of the sub to the ground, which is also a no no due to space constrictions.

so unless somebody wants to buy this stuff -- i'm stuck w/ it.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    so unless somebody wants to buy this stuff -- i'm stuck w/ it.
    stuck with 2 ID Maxes? you poor, deprived man...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by exalted512
    you poor, deprived man...
    seeing as he is without any "aesthetically pleasing, morally lax ladies", id have to say you're about right

fishman - mightn't it be better to use 1" stuff? there's an awful lot of pressure behind those behemoths. plus it makes volume calc's easier :D.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    Options
    well 3/4" birch ply is as strong / stronger than 1" MDF. ...1" birch ply would cost me a small fortune (and i dont know where to get any either... local lumber yards dont stock it)-- 3/4 is already 40-ish a sheet. however, if somebody wanted to drop a few sheets of 1" BP in my lap, i'd happily use it :)
  • mbdyer12
    edited April 2004
    Options
    You really dont have much room to work with :eek: Well, for what you've got, it sounds like it should work pretty well... Come up with any other possible designs?
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    Options
    sadly for the equipment i'm using, i cant think of anything else...

and i dont mean to sound like i'm 100% defending the setup i've thought of... rather it seems like the only one i can think of, and i was/am just looking for somebody to think of something that could go wrong with it that i haven't thought of or possibly some better way of going about it... sometimes i come off too strong... just wanted to say that.

so.. here's hopin for a decent install... gonna start today.
  • Jstas
    edited April 2004
    Options
    You should mount them in bass tubes, suspend them from the roof of the cab and point them at your head.

• mbdyer12
    edited April 2004
    Options
    LOL that would rule. Dont forget the shotgun rack.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I'm sure Q-logic has something:D
    j/k
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    Options
    well its all for naught --- they're both blown -- and not due to me -- they were working fine when i removed them from the 99 pickup ... but now they voice coils are rubbing like a 15 year old kid in an all boys school.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    they just died on you?!?
    that sucks...
    called ID yet?
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    Options
    for what? they're long out of warranty -- goddamn warranty is "90 days" -- aint that just "customer satisfaction" for you...

i emailed fred just now -- he's pretty good about gettin back, so i shoudl have somethin from him soon...

i doubt they'll cover them under any sort of warranty, i'll probably be out $200 bucks a sub for a repair, which is not a lot of money considering it'll take him at least 3 - 5 labor hours plus about 50 bucks in parts to rebuild them... at least the goddamn things are rebuildable... but i'm seriously thinking about just getting a different brand of subwoofer...

this is the second problem i've had with these, and i'm sorry but its too F****** big of a problem for me to ignore...

i think my faith in ID is gone unless fred wants to fix these for the cost of shipping.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    maybe the V3s are better?
    you lost faith in ID
    i lose faith in RF
    heh...
    get some brahmas:D
    -Cody
  • mbdyer12
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I got a pair of 10" Pyle subs layin around in my garage if you're interested :D Hahaha. I make myself laugh.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    Options
    well the subs sounded great, but they died... i dont get it -- maybe the "good ****" just isn't built as durable as the "medium ****" ?

oh well...

i think imma get a couple alpine type R 12's ... i can get two of them for 170 total s hipped new in box.

personally right now i'd rather get two polk mm2124's but i refuse to build a new box after how much work i put into this one and how good it works, and the fact that its pretty much not removeable without trashing half my truck... i had to build it IN the truck. so... i need a sub with 1.25 to 1.35 cubic feet internal air space required per 12" or 10" sub (i can do 10's if i plate over the 12" holes... not a big deal, it's doable).
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    the type r's are good subs, but truthfully, i like the momos a little better
    really comes down to how much you can get em for
    either way i think youll be happy
    if you really want the momos...just get some 2x4s or 4x4s and screw em into the box
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2004
    Options
    well i got ahold of fred today - he only wants $50 per sub to fix the ones i have... or $75 per sub to replace the ones i have with Version 3's... which he said will "hold up" better... so that's good.

i'm not so mad anymore... lol.