What is the best way to hook up a sub?

vibes
vibes Posts: 3
What is the best way to hook up a sub...

From my receiver, is it best to use rca cables from the main line level pre-out or use speaker wire from the main speaker level outputs?

Please advise, thank you.
Post edited by vibes on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited March 2002
    Totally depends on your particular equipment and configuration. Try reading on the Polkaudio.com FAQ page, here, about bass management. If you get a good feel for what you're actually trying to accomplish with bass management, then sub hookup and tuning is much less complicated.

To at least attempt to answer your question: Speaker level hookup is almost foolproof, provided you set your front speakers to "large", and subwoofer to "off". You'll then have to fiddle with the variable low pass filter on the sub, as well as the level and phase controls, until it sounds right. This hookup option is also the least likely to pick up "hum" and noise.

Probably most people use the "sub out" on a receiver to the "LFE" in on the sub, using an RCA patch cord. For systems where it works, it usually works well. But suffice it to say that there are a few more issues that become important in order to make it sound right. With this option, the variable filter on the sub is bypassed, so the receiver or processor has control of the crossover frequency.

The Preamp Out-to L&R line in method is a little more complicated still (especially if we're talking about 5.1 channel home theater, which I assume we are). If you're not pretty sure what you're doing, you're probably better off with one of the other options.

Maybe that will help a little.
    Jason
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited March 2002
    I agree..depends on what your doing and your equipement. I have a velo ct150 that runs great with rca inputs on my main HT.. However..I have an older DCM KX2 that cant handle the lfe channels... it bottoms out too easy..So I run it speaker level in. You need to try both ways and find what works best for you and your enviroment
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited March 2002
    believe it or not - if possible you try both and see which one sounds the best
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music