Hey I'm new....help me out...

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Alright, you may all find this a really stupid question...but, I have a 94 Blazer 4 door, and I really need to replace the rear speakers. So my question is how much is that gonna cost me, and what are some cheap but good speakers to get?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Those are probably 6x8" speakers. I'm in the same boat for my club cab '94 Ranger. 6x8s are hard to come by, as the standard is 6x9. It may be worth it to buy the 6x9s and shave the speaker opening if you have to. I'll be test-fitting a 6x9 in my truck tonight, probably (if it warms up a little....), so I'll let you know how it goes.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited April 2004
    Options
    A few things.

Number one, the 6x8" speaker size is pretty much a Ford/Lincoln/Mazda only speaker size. Very few companies beyond that have a speaker of a 6x8" size.

Secondly, Babytwin, in 1994, the full-sized GM sport utility was still called a Blazer. While I am pretty sure that you mean an S-10 Blazer because it was the only Blazer from that year with 4 doors (full-sized Blazers with 4 doors were known as Suburbans at the time), clarification of the vehicle is necessary for application purposes.

As far as "cheap speakers" goes, it depends on what you want to do. If you are still using you stock stereo, replacing the rear speakers only is going to make for a very odd sound. Just replacing stock speakers won't necessarily solve your problem either. The cost is relative to what your actual problem is. You may not need new speakers but a new head unit. Further elaboration on the problem you are looking to solve is needed.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited April 2004
    Options
    yeah, sorry.... He said blazer, I read bronco. *beats head off desk* at least it's a 3 day week here....
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Alright....here is more info....Yes my car is a s-10 blazer. I just got a new sony cd player in my car, I have two 10's with an amp. All of my speakers sound fine except for the two back ones. If the music is loud, they raddle and basically sound like ****. So I just want to replace those.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    Options
    a couple of bass blockers might stop that
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Alright well what are those.....and how much are they, and how much to install...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    theyre like 10 bucks...easy as cutting your speaker wire...put one end of the wire on one end of the wire on one end of the blocker...the other end on the other side
    probably can pick em up at radio shack
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    Options
    radio shack -- go and pick up two 400 microfarad (uF) [preferably 50 volts, but 35 or even 20 volt since your goin off deck power, will do] electrolytic capacitors...

here, i 'll even find them for you...

oh look! you're in luck, they started carrying axial lead again versus radial/polarized lead...

here's a link

radio shack capacitor you need to get

it is $1.30(one dollar and thirty cents) for two of them, and that's all you need is the two-pack.

they are 470 uF 35 volt axial electrolytic caps -- these will cross your rear speakers over at about 85 hertz, which should eliminate most, if not all, of the shittyness if they're 6x8's .... if they were smaller i'd say you'd need to cross at 120 hertz, but a 6x8 shud be able to go down that low.

it'll take you all of 10 minutes to install.. just snip the positive wire to each rear speaker, and then tie in the capacitors along the wire... like this...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    ^^
    thats cheaper and works better
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    Options
    yo fishman - you said that if his speakers were smaller than 6x8 u'd cross them over at 120. i have my mm6s xoverd at 80-85. for what reason did you pick that number?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I think he meant "smaller" as in a small-sized speaker, like 3 1/2" 4" or 5 1/4"... I'd think those sized speakers cant play below 120 without soundling like crap when in the stock speaker locations, which aren't sealed or tuned at all, let alone go that deep at any useful volume. But then again, thats a wild guess.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Wow thanks guys, I'll see how that works.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Vince, I never cease to be amazed at your simple, yet elegant, pictures drawn in good ol' MS Paint. Well done :)
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    Options
    the fishman is the king of paint! yee haw... and stuff :) .. lol... thanks dude.

as far as crossing over speakers smaller than 6x8 / 6x9 at 100 - 120-ish hertz... i am referring to STOCK speakers.

a stock 6x9 will sound like doggy doo doo below about 90 or 100... a stock 6, 5.25 will sound similarly crappy below about 120-110... and a stock 3 or 4 or 4x6 plate wont make it past 150 hertz without crapping the bed.

so... in conclusion, i am ambigusouly omnipotent as always :)

regular good old polk aftermarket speakers can throw quite low into the frequency range before they start getting "farty" in free air stock speaker locations... for a 6 or a 6x9 u can get down to 50 or 60 hertz with their rated power on them without a problem - depending on music your playing and such, but in general i mean.

that's no exact science, just my personal experience... i'm sure guys have done some enclosure mounted polk 6 1/2's and been able to run them full bandwith with no crossover whatsoever and have them sound great! -- hell thats what i did for years with polk original db 6x9's and was a very happy little camper -- 4 6x9's that sounded like i had two cheap 10's bangin away.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    i run my mm6s down to 50Hz and im throwing 200 watts on em
    the first thing that distorts is my replacement DX tweeter for my momo tweeter that blew...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    Options
    damn... mine are xoverd at 80, gain is at about 10:30, and they distort at like 4/5 volume. granted, that's with rap, and i can push it to nearly full volume with normal music (which should be expected, since that's what i tuned it with), but still. maybe we have different ideas of distortion.

how exactly does a speaker crap it's bed?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    hmmm...maybe fosgates are good for something after all
    i listen to rap too
    on XM, i can turn it all the way up
    on CD, i can turn it to like 35...out of 40
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    Options
    where do you have your gain set?

i set mine as follows:
    1) turn the gain all the way down
    2) put on normal music (in this case it was Godsmack; very wide-ranging music, lots of cymbals and a strong bass beat here and there)
    3) turn hu to 30 out of 35, to ensure it doesn't clip; thus, 30 becomes my maximum volume
    4) turn gain up until distortion is heard, then turn it back down a teeny bit

did i go about it the right way? could i be hearing my door rattling and mistaking it for distortion? cause what i'm hearing now sounds like the bass is getting sloppy and sometimes bottoming out (when i turn it up too far; obviously i don't listen to it like this).