Noob help needed! RTi70 at CC for $300...best choice?

Options
Stevarian
Stevarian Posts: 16
edited April 2004 in Speakers
Hello,

I am new to home theater, and brand new here. I would like to upgrade my speakers, a little bit at a time. I currently have a set of Onkyo 5.1 speakers for my home theater that sound pretty good. I also have two Cerwin Vega speakers that are about 10 years old, that just don't have it anymore.

Anyway, while at Circuit City today, I noticed they had just two of the Polk RTi70 speakers left, the demo models in the speaker room, for $149 apiece.

I really love music (rock to classical) and want good musical speakers, but I also love movies, and want some good front speakers. Would these be the best choice, if I am trying to stay under $500 for a pair?

Thanks in advance!!

Steve
Post edited by Stevarian on

Comments

• POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited April 2004
    Options
    you *MIGHT* be able to talk them down on the price. Do you have a sub? you will need one with the 70's if your thinking about watching movies.
  • Stevarian
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I currently have the sub from my Onkyo set. What about with music? How is the bass on these?

What do you think of these speakers in regards to the rest of the Polk line?

Steve
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I just picked up a pair of RTi70's two weeks ago from CC. I got a brand new pair for $300. They were selling demo pairs for $220 & $240. Try to talk them down a little.

As far as the sound, you can't go wrong. I am EXTREMELY happy with them. The bass, while listening to music, is more than sufficient. I acually turn my subwoofer off sometimes when listening to music. It is not going to get down to 20 Hz or anything, but is always musical, never booming or one-noteish.

Even if you paid the $300 they are asking, you are getting a hell of a deal. Those speakers carry a MSRP of $900 for the pair!
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by POLKOHOLIC
    you *MIGHT* be able to talk them down on the price.

down to where? LOL

That's pretty darn cheap, and they are oop, so grab them... after all i bought mine full price at around 855.00 with the tax.. would have loved a 300.00 deal..

Rti70's do have bass for the size drivers they run, however for max impact, get a decent sub...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Stevarian
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the info!

I just bought a Harman Kardon AVR 230 receiver. Do you think this will be enough horsepower for these speakers?

What center would you recommend?

Also, what does it mean when I read about "bi wiring" the speakers?

Steve
  • gmorris
    edited April 2004
    Options
    The matching center speakers for the RTi70's are the CSi30 & CSi40.

Bi-amping means a seperate amp channel for the midbass drivers with a seperate channel for the tweeters.

Bi-wiring means two runs of speaker cable from a common amp channel to each set of binding posts, one cable for the midbass, one cable for the tweeter.

What is the watt/channel of your HK?
  • Stevarian
    edited April 2004
    Options
    In stereo mode, it has 65 watts per channel, and in surround mode, it has 50. IT is a 6.1 receiver. I know those figures sound low, but from my research it has a high current amplifier, and supposedly will perform as if it has more power.
  • gmorris
    edited April 2004
    Options
    65 watts is 65 watts. High current means that when there is a loud passage of music, the amp has a big reserve from which to generate power. The 65 watts RMS is continous, but will be much higher when called upon. So the high current design is a good thing.

65 watts will be plenty of power for normal listening. The only time you may desire more power is when you feel like damaging your hearing by cranking up the volume.

If you listen to music at insane volume levels, you may want more power, but that is unlikely. HK makes quality products, so that 65 watts is 65 quality watts. I'm sure you will be plenty happy.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I got a pair of RTi70's for $260, including tax. Compared to my old Infinity RS5's these are awesome speakers. I liked the RTi8's more but not enough to go from $260 to $700.

Don't need bass, SVS on the corner takes care of that. If you're after bass, then RTi150 (selling for ~$700) or RTi12 ($1000 at CC) would be my choice. You might want to pick up a amp as well for those...
  • gmorris
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Stevarian, you can always just go get the 70's, bring them home, and try them out. If you don't like them, take them back.... CC has a 30 day return policy.

There are lots of folks on this forum that use the RTi70's, and I don't remember any bad comments about them.
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I Purchased mine just months before all the sales for the RTi70's. They ran me $550.00 Brand New. I have seen them go for as low as $250.00 open box so im thinking you might be able to talk them down on the price and save a few bucks for wiring. For HT the 70's need a decent sub--they start to roll off quickly at around 40Hz. Im not too sure about the AVR as i have never used any HK's but i dont think it would be a problem. For the center id go with CSi40 the 30's dont have enough punch and for surrounds id go with FXi50's just because i prefer the dipole/bipole setting.
  • gmorris
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Good luck finding any CSi30's or CSi40's. I've checked all the CC's in my area, and they are all sold out.

You may have some luck on Ebay, or perhaps someone here at the forum is selling.
  • Stevarian
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Well, they were still there tonight after work, and I listened to them, and made sure there was nothing damage on them. Then I asked about the price, and it wasn't much later I ended up getting them for $250 for the pair! Pretty sweet deal. I am going to hook them up soon, so I can check them out here at home. They sounded nice at CC, so I hope they will be awesome here.

Now I need to find the center.....

Steve

Thanks for all your help!!
  • gmorris
    edited April 2004
    Options
    SCORE!! Congrats and nice work wheelin' & dealin' on the price. You will be very happy with them, I promise.

I'd check Ebay for the CSi30 or CSi40. Now that the new RTi line has come out, people will start to replace stuff. You should be able to get a CSi center channel for no more than $100.
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Actually i think the CSi40 is still going for ~200 even on ebay. Spend the 50 Bucks on some Monster XP Wiring. For the Center--DO NOT settle for the 30. The 40 is much better and you wouldnt want to make compromises on the center.
  • Stevarian
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I started looking at Monster Cable at CC when I picked up the speakers, but couldn't see a gauge number on them. Do you know what gauge the Monster XP is?

I started looking on ebay for the Csi40. Hopefully I will run across a good deal. The speakers sound great by the way!

Steve
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Steve - You sound like you are well on your way, keep looking around, and the center will show up eventually. Ebay is a good area to poke around.

Yea, don't get the CSi30 because that would absolutely crazy :rolleyes: I love the bigger is better rhetoric that occurs here. If you want to get the CSi40, rock on, but the CSi30 is a solid performer. It depends more on room size than anything.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    If you want to get the CSi40, rock on, but the CSi30 is a solid performer.

I have the CSi30 with my 150s and it sounds great. True, I'll probably go up to the CSi40 one day, but the 30 sounds great on it's own...
  • gmorris
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Stevarian
    I started looking at Monster Cable at CC when I picked up the speakers, but couldn't see a gauge number on them. Do you know what gauge the Monster XP is?

Steve

Monster XP is 16 AWG. Monster XPHP & Original is 12 AWG.

CC usually has XP & Original. XPHP is a little harder to find. I get it at a local specialty shop. It sells for $1 a foot.

If you can't find XPHP, I'd recommend the XP over the Original. The XP has the time correct windings, where as the Original does not.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I've found that Ultimate Electronics has a good selection of wire, at least out here....