Chicago Area, October 25th, Carl Appears For One Night Only

SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
edited November 2011 in Gatherings & Special Events
I know, it's short notice and a weekday. Blame Carl (schwarcw) for that.:cheesygrin: Things just worked out that way. Tuesday, October 25th, Carl will be in the Chicago area on business. (So he says anyway...I suspect a local estate sale with over 1,000 R2R tapes). He will stop by my place in Plainfield, IL for an afternoon and evening of finishing my reactor so I can generate my own power.

Let me know if you can make it.
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
Post edited by SCompRacer on

Comments

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2011
    cool beans Rich...the geek factor in Plainfield goes exponential for a night...

have fun, say hey.

later brother.

RT1
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited October 2011
    I will try and head over. Work is killing me, not sure I can get up that way. I'm going to try.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited October 2011
    Is that a nuclear reactor?:biggrin:
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2011
    I am looking forward to my visit to the windy city and Rich's house. I hope a few of the locals can make it. Toga! Toga!

My R2R is nuclear powered!!
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited October 2011
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Work is killing me, not sure I can get up that way.

I can't get the day off either. Best I could do was adjust my hours to early days, or I'd have to get a rent-a-host. Looking forward to it Carl!

Ted, Carl has the best Uranium...better than that Russian ebay stuff!:cheesygrin:
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2011
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Ted, Carl has the best Uranium...better than that Russian ebay stuff!:cheesygrin:

Does Uranium come from UrAnus???...I was once told the place has a cherry, but that cherry blossoms won't bloom their...

You guys have a great time!! of course, pics pics pics.

RT1
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited October 2011
    Gee I just went through your lovely city Sunday 10/15/11. I went to Mega-Sports and a good friends house to pick up some fish(Aurora). I could of dropped in to say "HI" and get my ears on some great gear I'm sure. I'll have to remember that the next time I'm up that way.
    Ivan
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2011
    Does Uranium come from UrAnus???...I was once told the place has a cherry, but that cherry blossoms won't bloom their...

Not mine, not yours, maybe HisAnus?.... I ain't checking so please don't ask.:cheesygrin:

Ivan, we lived in Aurora for ~ 22 years. I know the owner of Mega Sports, Mark Daniels. We worked at UPS a long time ago. I was an FFL dealer then, trading in mostly military arms and Class III (full auto). He bought an M1A from me and I helped him get a dealer license. I got out of the biz and he did the gun show circuit and opened a small gun shop. His first store was small and was wiped out in that F5 tornado that hit here back in '90. Then he reopened and went all in with Mega Sports.

Give me a holler if you get up this way. You can find out of it's great or you'd rather listen to the Monitor 7A's in the basement.:biggrin:
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited October 2011
    sounds good SCompRacer maybe one day we can get together for something cold and refreshing, listen to some tunes or something from an open bolt.

wonder if mega Sports has a polkie discount:lol:
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2011
    I haven't heard that term in quite some time! (Open bolt).:cheesygrin: I had both open and closed bolt demos.

Due to scheduling issues, the Tuesday thing is called off. Carl will let me know if it he will be up this way later in the week ending October 29th. Sorry aboot that.....
  • heiney9
    edited October 2011
    Damn, and I just bought my ticket for his apperance. Do I get a refund or just hold it until his next engagement?

:cheesygrin::wink:

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2011
    Sorry....in typical Illinois politics fashion, we have exercised our right to amend the terms of our previous agreement and will keep your money, meaning you must purchase new tickets when they become available.:cheesygrin:
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Damn, and I just bought my ticket for his apperance. Do I get a refund or just hold it until his next engagement?

:cheesygrin::wink:

H9
  • schwarcw
    edited October 2011
    I am hoping this can be a Saturday event! Let's see how my schedule plays out. I will get there!
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited October 2011
    Carl tells me it looks like Sunday the 30th. This scheduling thing is not Carl's fault, he is really high functioning, not fragmented in thought at all.:cheesygrin:
  • schwarcw
    edited October 2011
    I am really coming this time! LOL! I arrive at OHare at around 8:15 AM. Then I will be trucking down to Rich's place. Come one come all! See the freak show! LOL!
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited October 2011
    Getting ready for you! Had Simple Dreams spinning earlier. A fav, side two, track one, 1 Blue Bayou. That voice, the steel guitar, wow.

attachment.php?attachmentid=35039&stc=1&d=1219528899
  • schwarcw
    edited October 2011
    Oh man, "Blue Bayou" is so smooth!

Wasn't this originally a Roy Orbison tune?
    Carl

• schwarcw
    edited October 2011
    Rich,

Have you tried any of Linda's Mofi numbered vinyl released over the last year or so?
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited October 2011
    Yes to Roy and he did a fine job with it, but she took it up a notch IMO. Love how she holds that last note. No to the Mofi releases.
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2011
    Another fine RAS mini event. Carl actually showed up!:eek::cheesygrin: And Jay and Doug! Thanks for stopping by! Jay, thanks for bringing some drinks. No pics of meal time, fried balogna isn't that exciting to look at. L to R Doug (dkg999) Jay (agfrost) and Carl (schwarcw)
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2011
    So between the TT and the SQB...which one wins??? :twisted:

Good friends, good times.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited October 2011
    Thanks for hosting, Rich. Doug and Carl, it was nice to meet you. Wish I could've stayed for a while longer!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2011
    Ricardo wrote: »
    So between the TT and the SQB...which one wins??? :twisted:

Well, of course it depends:cheesygrin:......in the case of the nicely packaged Linda Ronstadt collector's edition 3 CD tin box set, we all agreed the vinyl Blue Bayou sounds much better. I have Linda mostly on vinyl.

Next time Jay!

lr3cdboxsm.jpg
    Attachment not found.
  • heiney9
    edited October 2011
    Sorry I had to miss this one guys, looks like you had fun and I do have a soft spot for early Linda Ronstadt.

H9
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited October 2011
    You can't really be a true audiophile if you don't own a TT! At least that's what I've been led to believe.

The LR on vinyl did sound significantly better.

Thanks to Rich and Dana for being great hosts! The food was fantastic! It was nice to meet Jay, he just might be OK, which probably means he's in the wrong club :rolleyes:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2011
    dkg999 wrote: »
    You can't really be a true audiophile if you don't own a TT!

Where do I turn in my card?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • schwarcw
    edited October 2011
    Greetings!

WOW! What a great time! Thanks to Rich and Dana for opening up their home to a swamp rat like me:twisted: Rich's sound system is better than I remembered. The addition of the turntable, SQB and the modified DAC made for great listening pleasure. We listened to a wide variety of music on vinyl and digital. We also saw some Linda Ronstadt ****:eek:

It was good to meet Jay and see Doug again. We shared some old Polkfest memories and talked tunes for quite a while. The food was outstanding. I am still full! Thank you so much Rich, I hope to see you soon. Maybe Brock will be there next time. Ricardo would be a long shot but I enjoy that wild man too!!!

Thanks again for the great time!

Regards,
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited November 2011