Building my own Audio/Equipment Rack

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    edited November 2011
    I want a pair of those to put my amps on. Those are stunning!:cool::cool::mrgreen:

Just send them to me and I will put them up and take a picture for you!!!:lol:
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2011
    Very Nice. With talent like that, I think you need to work out of the box.

Steve

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• byfthalone
    byfthalone Posts: 345
    edited November 2011
    Very nice job Tool
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2011
    Great job Larry!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited November 2011
    That stand is gorgeous!
  • Toolfan66
    edited November 2011
    Thanks Guys!! Just wish I was home to finish the other four tiers, and put up my TT shelf..
  • Toolfan66
    edited November 2011
    Post 33 reported!!! for spam.. Jewlery88
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited November 2011
    Post #34 nikhelg reported as spam for removal.

Those are NICE Larry. I am sooooo jealous!
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2011
    Larry, that is just beautiful! You could easily sell something like that for some real money! And here I am with my composite boards which I just had the local hardware store cut for me--my skill set is pretty meager (white primer tomorrow, and some black spray paint after that). lol

Out of curiosity, what did the plexiglass-like pieces cost?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited November 2011
    Great job as usual Larry, I always enjoy following your built threads. :cool:
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • Toolfan66
    edited November 2011
    cnh wrote: »
    Larry, that is just beautiful! You could easily sell something like that for some real money! And here I am with my composite boards which I just had the local hardware store cut for me--my skill set is pretty meager (white primer tomorrow, and some black spray paint after that). lol

Out of curiosity, what did the plexiglass-like pieces cost?

cnh

Thanks!! The acrylic pieces are 1" x 19" X 24" they cost $84 each, it was hard to swallow but I don't think anything else would look as good..
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited November 2011
    Looks awesome - I agree the acrylic shelves make them look flippin sweet!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toolfan66
    edited November 2011
    i did get two more tiers done tonight,I hope to be done this weekend.
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited November 2011
    Very nice work.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited November 2011
    You have to be the boss at work or have some long **** cycle times with a good boss to get all that done at work. Gotta tip my hat at your workmanship. nice, real nice.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited November 2011
    Good job on the rack(s). They look great.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited November 2011
    Nice work, Larry.

What product did you use to de-couple the lucite (assumption) shelves?
    design is where science and art break even.
  • greyford1979
    greyford1979 Posts: 749
    edited November 2011
    Awesome man!!! Looks great!!!
    I love animals, they're delicious!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited November 2011
    High marks on the DIY rack!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Toolfan66
    edited November 2011
    Well I got my rig up and running for the most part, and my rack is 6 tiers high at 58" it was nice having music fill the house again. I will post some pics tomorrow.
  • Toolfan66
    edited November 2011
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited November 2011
    I see your Schwartz is as big as mine.....
    Too much **** to list....
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited November 2011
    That is an awesome Stand, the Acrylic is perfect and the stand looks nice and sturdy.

Great job!!!!!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2011
    Beautiful Tool! Great work.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Toolfan66
    edited November 2011
    Well this morning I got my Dared SL2000 and my Wyred4Sound DAC2 hooked up and I have been able to spend some time with my Rig. I was very excited to give my TT a spin cause I felt that this rack would give it the biggest change as the shelf is de coupled from the rest of the gear, and boy was I spot on my vinyl days just took a huge boost with this rack just what I was hoping for.

Everything else sounds a step up as well but not as much because I had spikes under the rest of my gear in my old rack. I knew upgrading my rack was needed as I really felt and still do that it was my weakest link also I like the hi-fi look of it as well..
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited November 2011
    Beautiful job, Wish I had the physical ability's to build a custom rack for myself I can't find ANYTHING even close that will fit my needs. :frown:
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited November 2011
    gimpod wrote: »
    Beautiful job, Wish I had the physical ability's to build a custom rack for myself I can't find ANYTHING even close that will fit my needs. :frown:

I remember decorative cinder blocks painted some color and 12" shelving boards were the custom stands of my day..LOL.

Now the poor mans' rack or thrifty DIY is the all-thread rod and 14" laminated boards.

I like how TFLF utilizes what's around him at his place of employment to make his visions of what he desires a reality. A woodworker would use exotic wood maybe. But they too have limitations of budget and the complexity levels according to materials and machinery and the knowlege to get the most out of everything envolved.

TFLF did his homework and planed very, very well on all projects I've seen him do. He envisioned what his needs were and used what was familiar to him to work with and CREATED them.

There's got to be something around you to aquire your desires in some sort of way also.
    Mine is wood working. Personal homeowners tools are my limitations but,

Post a new thread and say what you need and maybe we can help in some way..

TFLF has helped alot of us from his metal workings..
    You helped alot of us with your understandings of crossover mounting-board redesigning..

Maybe we can help you in our own ways maybe.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited November 2011
    Nice work! Surprised that the acrylic ran that much- I've scored 3/4" thick pieces that size for about $20/each, but they might have been lower quality. Certainly wasn't that shiny.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • PolkMaster1
    PolkMaster1 Posts: 847
    edited November 2011
    Nice work Larry. I am sure that there are plenty of people who would love to purchase a set of audio racks from you - myself included.
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.
  • carvcom
    carvcom Posts: 240
    edited November 2011
    Very nice work Larry, I love seeing the work of a skilled craftsman.
    You will be enjoying those for many years!!