Building my own Audio/Equipment Rack

Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
edited November 2011 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Well I have mentioned in a couple of threads about building my own Rack and I thought I would share what I have done so far I should have it up and going by the end of next week.

I will say that I was leaning on buying one from Adona as they have some really nice Rack's so I used one of there models as that was the one I was really wanting as I liked the idea of having a flexable rack. well I didn't want to shell out that kind of coin for a 5 tier rack as I know I could build two or three of them for that price.

I did call them and order my spikes from them as the cost of brass has shot to the moon and I couldn't make them for the price I could buy them. I will say they are very helpful and he thought it was cool I was taking on the project.

So what I did was make 8 of each size of pillars at:
3"
5"
6"
7"
8"
9"
10"
11"
12"
13"

I wanted to have extra sizes on hand so I can mod this at anytime if needed or just wanted a different look.

I also like the idea of having everything spiked I really like the look. I will also have 1" thick acrylic for all shelves, this cost me more then all the other materials combined. Each shelve will measure 19" x 24"

Here is a link to their website to give you an idea of what mine will kind of look like.
http://www.adonacorporation.com/av45cs4.html

av45cs4_overall.gif
Post edited by Toolfan66 on

Comments

• brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited October 2011
    I hate you!
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2011
    Here is some of my parts in the raw I am using aluminum for the pillars with steel nut plates on the inside for the cross members..

10-21-11 038.jpg
    10-21-11 033.jpg
    10-21-11 034.jpg
    10-21-11 035.jpg
    10-21-11 030.jpg
    10-21-11 031.jpg
  • brgman
    edited October 2011
    Ya think it'll be sturdy enough?????:mrgreen:

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2011
    I welded the end caps on one of them today to see how it would finish out, tomorrow I am going to the shop to get as many done as I can. I would like to see this at paint by Tuesday so I can have it by Friday.

With the way I machined these I can go side to side as well as up, Like I said I want this to be flexable to do what I want. I really didn't want to be restricted to my needs now or in the future by my rack. also what is nice is if I need to fab anything for it I can do so and it will match what I have now but I believe I built enough parts to do whatever I will need it to do..
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2011
    brgman wrote: »
    Ya think it'll be sturdy enough?????:mrgreen:

Haha!! Yeah I think it will take what ever I put on it..
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2011
    My plan is to have a 6 tier rack with 2 amp stands.

You can see the cost of a 5 tier rack from Adona I will have just under $1000 out of pocket for a 6 tier rack with 2 amp stands.

Keep in mind the small pieces came out of drop material, and my buddy at the paint shop will paint it all for free.

I do want to say the prices from Adona are a very fair price for whats involved to get them made..
  • brgman
    edited October 2011
    :question:Will these be available like the rings sir?

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2011
    brgman wrote: »
    :question:Will these be available like the rings sir?

Ummmmmmmmmm NO!!!

Sorry.. :-)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited October 2011
    Just today:

I went out to my man cave and reorganized some stuff to accomodate a new to me Bello rack, and you post this. I'm still really happy with this rack I picked up from GoodWill for 16.00 a month ago. It was dirty and I thought rusty but it was just grime...(lol).
    It cleaned up really well today.

Another awsome project you've started and mad skills from you again Larry.

We're not supposed to ENVY people but your skills with metal working sure makes a few of us just that. I'll have to settle with doing things out of wood for the things in my imagination. As long as we're creating....we are living...some great thinker said.

Your cost is still $$$$ with so much kind-of free material and extras but.... I built a 12' long entertainment wall unit in 3 sections. Wheels, lights and glass shelves and pocket doors. I got alot at crazily reduced prices but the total was still around 750.00. I know what your saying about comparison from buying or building. We're still saving a ton doing it ourselves. And the joy of knowing you designed and created your projects with your own hands is really gratifying beyond what most will never know.

I'll be watching this thread too.

Must not envy..must not envy..LOL
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited October 2011
    Good job Larry...you got skills!
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    edited October 2011
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited October 2011
    That looks great!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2011
    Are you done yet? :biggrin:
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited October 2011
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing. :smile:
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2011
    Thanks Guys!! Just got home I finished all the pillars. welding,grinding,ready for paint!! I have two more cross members to build then everything is off to paint!!

Glad I had a couple of welders in the shop to help out a little otherwise I would still be there..
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited October 2011
    Mad skills and I too hate you.:biggrin:
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2011
    You can see where I machined a counterbore for the brass piece to fit in for the spikes..
    10-23-11 001.jpg

:smile:
  • JimKellyfan
    JimKellyfan Posts: 696
    edited October 2011
    Nice
    I will be building a new set up myself, hopefully this winter and will submit before and after pics when done.
    New set up will start with DVD shelving/bookcase with shelves that will pull out if wanted.
    My idea all stems around the wall I knocked out between the great room and dining room of my single level ranch.
    The header has pine 1x12's with a 1x4 underside cap and 1x4 side posts.
    On one side, the great room is actually wider and will fit 2 1x12's as a back to the shelving unit, right next to the header and actually tie it in nicely.
    I will use 1x12's as sides.
    Then, 1x12's as shelf support struts, every 8.25 inches.
    Then, 1x12's that can slide in or out as needed, in case we use it for other than DVD's one day.
    If that works out, then a similar set up on the old dining room side, only taking up the entire wall, and of course different width and height shelving, also removable to change with the times as they do.
    Onkyo TX-NR636
    Main - polkaudio Monitor 60's
    Center - polkaudio CSI A6
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    Sub2 - polkaudio PSW505
    Surrounds - polkaudio Monitor 40 series II
    Front Height - polkaudio Monitor 40's
    Audio Outdoors
    Pioneer VSX 406 - polkaudio Atrium 5
    Shed
    Sony junker str-dn2010 with Sony bookshelf floor models and polkaudio R150's
    Shed 2
    Nakamichi soundbar
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited October 2011
    Are you planning on filling the aluminum tubing with anything like sand? Also just curious but what did parts cost you? I am very jealous of your skills and connections :cheesygrin:.

Looking super good, planning on black or another color?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2011
    I don't plan on filling the aluminum pillars with sand to messy, I will more then likely sqiurt some expansion foam sealant in them.

Lead shot would be nice but I didn't plan for that..
  • JimKellyfan
    JimKellyfan Posts: 696
    edited October 2011
    that is awesome dude
    Onkyo TX-NR636
    Main - polkaudio Monitor 60's
    Center - polkaudio CSI A6
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    Sub2 - polkaudio PSW505
    Surrounds - polkaudio Monitor 40 series II
    Front Height - polkaudio Monitor 40's
    Audio Outdoors
    Pioneer VSX 406 - polkaudio Atrium 5
    Shed
    Sony junker str-dn2010 with Sony bookshelf floor models and polkaudio R150's
    Shed 2
    Nakamichi soundbar
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited October 2011
    Lead shot would be better. That sand looks awesome. You do amazing work.
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2011
    I sure hate having my rig torn down!! Sure hope paint comes through tomorrow..
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited October 2011
    I'm surprised you didn't carve it out of a single titanium billet :mrgreen:
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2011
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2011
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2011
    LFOXORACK014.jpg

Good start will do some more tomorrow after work..
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2011
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited October 2011
    I want a pair of those to put my amps on. Those are stunning!:cool::cool::mrgreen:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jewelry88
    jewelry88 Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    :twisted: so cool
    pandora charms australia Online, Buy pandora bracelets australia with BEST PRICES, Huge Collections of Pandora, Fast Delivery, Free Shipping!