you asked for it....

juice21
juice21 Posts: 1,866
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
took some quick pics. and posted them on my site last nite, here's the link...

home theater

i know, i know, it's screaming for a widescreen TV.

any comment/suggestions/critiques are welcome....(just don't bash too hard...):D
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2002
    Whats the floor? Berber, or regular shag?

Only suggestion that jumps out at me is putting a garden slate, or even a nice, thick tile under the HSU. Helps with isolation, and prevents the small amount of absorbtion of sound waves (by the carpet), esp in a bottom-firing sub.

Looks good juice, nice, clean setup.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    thanks russ! the floor is jsut regular carpet, nothing fancy. good suggestion on the slate, any thickness required in that?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2002
    If you look at RonP's system, he used a very thick garden slate. I went to the Home Depot 'floor store', and picked up some flat, 16x16x1/2 inch thick standard 'tile' for under $6 each, and use those under my subs. The sound change wasn't drastic, but still noticeable enough that I would recommend at least trying it.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    i'll give it a shot...
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    damn justin, that was fast!!!!:D
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited February 2002
    Juice nice setup. With the slate, 1 to 1-1/2 thick (real slate). Sometimes the tiles are man made be careful of that it dose not cancel out the reverberation like real slate, granite, or sandstone. Only reason I say this is my H.D. only has man made tiles.
    Chris :)
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    chris, where did you get the 1/1.5" slate?
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002

Very clean setup.

Slate or Tile?
    Just curious as to why you would put slate or tile under a sub? As it is a very dense material I would think that it would pass all of the vibration to the floor. Is that the plan?
    I would think one would want to isolate, as in using dense foam or ?

-luc
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2002
    I landed my large piece of slate at a local landscape supply shop. I put some small pieces of slate under my RT55's that I picked up at Home Depot. I tired tile, it was not as effective as slate.

The slate helps stop the absorbtion of bass into the floor, thus tightening it up.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited February 2002
    Looks good, Juice! I agree that slate is better than tile. I tried tile under my RT800's and it did absolutely nothing. The slate provided a slight improvement. Are you still using that Kenwood sub? I might think about ditching that and just use your HSU alone.

Aaron
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    i have the kenwood running as well. to be honest though, i don't think it is doing anything. i am going to play with it on/off to see if it is really adding anything, or possibly even detracting. it is right next to my listening position, so i was hoping for just a little extra umphh out of it. i wanted to test running 2 subs since i have both right now, maybe i'll just ebay the kenwood, and put the $ into my next upgrade.

is granite as good as slate? i left a message at one of our offices stone reps., i am going to try to get a 2'x2' 1.25" sample, will this work as well as slate? it will look a lot cleaner(especially when getting a perfect sample)...
  • CHRIS
    edited February 2002
    Ron said it all, granite is the best but more expensive.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited February 2002
    or possibly even detracting
    That's what I'm worried about.

Aaron
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    aaron-the detraction with the 2nd inferior sub is a good concern, thanks!

chris-being an architect, i am hoping to order a 'sample' for free...:D
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2002
    juce do you have your AIA? my father is a architect i was thinking of being one but i just like electroincs beter
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2002
    I am giving some thought of bolting the bases of my DQ-10 stands to granite slabs.....awaiting funding approval though.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    nope, i'm not liscened yet. i still have till may 2003 until i finish with IDP and can take my registration exams. i'm just AIA associate right now...
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited February 2002
    The setup looks really nice, juice! I like the Super Fly poster BTW ;)

Would you guys recommend putting my RT1000i's on slate, since they do have those subs in the bottom?
  • CHRIS
    edited February 2002
    The 1000 should bennefit since the have the bass through the bottom.

Juice-if you can get it free should save you some $$.
    My ULD is a down firering sub and I have no problems with reflection but a major difference without the rug acting as a bass trap. The bed is a giant bass trap, can't do without that thou.
    Before I got the secnd P.E. DIY sub I had a Kenwood hooked to the left side. It evened the bass out in the room and as long as I kept its volume down so it didn't bottom out, it was an improvement over just the one. IMO It is what made me decide to get the second P.E. sub it just evens out the bass.