Should I remove resistor? 3.1tl

Options
cayovelez
cayovelez Posts: 77
edited September 2011 in Vintage Speakers
I am in upgrade mode of my 3.1tl this weekend, i have finished larry's rings, dynamat extreeme and crossover upgrade(went soniccraft all around and mills). I have one dilema, there is this resistor on the pic attached of my xover and on most mods for this xover are not there; should I remove it? It is labeled: 2ohms5%25W

Thanks, Carlos
Post edited by cayovelez on

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,944
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I just pulled the crossovers out of my 3.1tl's this morning and my Xovers do not have that resistor..
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Check the schematic here . . .

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55888

I would remove anything not specified in the 3.1TL schematic.

What's odd is that resistor in your photo looks exactly like the 5 watt sand resistors Polk was using during that time period.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2011
    Options
    If it is in place of the 1.3ohm resistor and in parallel with the second 12uf in the HF circuit, either leave it there or replace it with a 1.3ohm resistor. Removing it will create a mess and replacing it with a 1.3ohm will slightly raise the HF level.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Toolfan66
    edited September 2011
    Options
    He replaced the 1.3ohm resistor with a mills it is in the same place as the resistor on my boards.

But now that I am looking more closely at his board it kinda looks like he has two mills where the 1.3 should go, something don't look right!!

Carlos can you take some more pics of your boards and maybe post a list of parts you used with values??
  • Face
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'm not seeing the attachment.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Toolfan66
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • Toolfan66
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • cayovelez
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Here is a better pic with some labels.
  • cayovelez
    edited September 2011
    Options
    From your r3 to r5 this resistor seems to be installed
  • Toolfan66
    edited September 2011
    Options
    do you have two mills in parallel with one another??
  • cayovelez
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • Face
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Yes, the 2.5ohm doesn't appear to belong, odd.

What are the values of the two Mills in series(?) on the left of your board.

Just curious, who modded the boards or did you buy the speakers pre-modded?
  • Toolfan66
    edited September 2011
    Options
    a 1.2 resistor would have worked just fine..
  • cayovelez
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • cayovelez
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I have 2 .68 in place of the 1.3. I have seen it on this page also look at second page :http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47929&highlight=crossover&page=2
  • cayovelez
    edited September 2011
    Options
    My 3.1TL were produced on may july 90 i have seen others with that weird resistor, I am wondering if I should leave it or remove it? I am all done with my upgrades: larry's rings, Dynamat extreeme on all drivers, rdo198, all sonicraft caps replaced and mill resistors(still with the weird resistor) armacell, large Dayton spikes. The only thing left for me to do is figure out the resistor issue, and any other upgrades? It has been fun, tomorrow will be listening post upgrades will see.
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    edited September 2011
    Options
    do you have two mills in parallel with one another??
    cayovelez wrote: »
    yes i do
    cayovelez wrote: »
    I have 2 .68 in place of the 1.3. I have seen it on this page also look at second page :http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47929&highlight=crossover&page=2
    Shouldn't you have the 2 .68 ohm resistors in series to get 1.3 ohms?
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Looking at the pic his .68 resistors are in series.

I would remove that other resistor. I see no need for it in the schematic.
  • cayovelez
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I have the .68 in series, I did the upgrade of the xover. When researching the xover upgrade I came across someone with that resistor on their xover for their 3.1, wonder how their experiences on removing the resistor.....
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited September 2011
    Options
    If you can determine to what part of the circuit to which each lead of that 2.5R resistor is connected we should be able to determine it's purpose.
  • CNWDI
    CNWDI Posts: 91
    edited September 2011
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    If you can determine to what part of the circuit to which each lead of that 2.5R resistor is connected we should be able to determine it's purpose.

I'll definitely bow to the superior knowledge of crossovers in general and Polks in particular on this forum...but my EE background in reading labels tells me that's a 2 Ohm, 5% tolerance (so, 1.9 to 2.1 Ohm), 25W resistor...not 2.5 Ohms. I don't know why it's there and suspect the best answer is to make it go away, but I just don't want us thinking it's a 2.5 Ohm resistor unless there's some other indicator I'm missing...
    Current polk speakers:
    Family room 5.1: TC265i R/L, VM10 Center, RC65i surrounds (couldn't match the TCs)
    Basement non-dedicated 7.1 HT: SDA-CRS+ R/L, 255c-LS Center, LSiFX surrounds, RC80i in-ceiling rear surround, plus Wharfedale 12" sub (some day I'll get around to building 15" F-20 sub).
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Yes your correct it is a 2.0R not 2.5 R.